Problem fueling 2013 458 | FerrariChat

Problem fueling 2013 458

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Arnie, Sep 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I went to get gas for my 2013 458 at my usual Shell Station. In NJ you can not pump your own gas. So the attendant couldn't get the gas to start to flow. This is my second 2013 Spider and I never had a problem filling the filling of gas. Well last week the attendant couldn't start the gas to flow. So I tried and found that the nozzle would no longer go in far enough to release the gas from the Nozzle. I found that all the pumps had new nozzles! with an additional safety sleeve that gets pushed backwards to release the gas.

The problem is because the nozzle does not go in deep enough no matter how hard I tried the sleeve safety device is not pushed back enough to allow gas to flow. You have to pull the sleeve back manually and at the same time pull the trigger. This is not easy because if you don't to the procedure correctly you hav to start over again which is a pain. I checked another gas station they also had the new nozzles Supposedly NJ has implemented this requirement.

So is anybody else in NJ having this problem and if yes how did they solve it

2. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my 2014 458 spider here in the state of Washington (Tacoma).
    Owning the car now for 2 years now and I have to do the same as you described to fill my car up.
    The worst problem is that by filling it this way there is no auto shut off. You have to listen very carefully for the gurgling to stop in the tank and then quit pumping the gas or it will overfill. Not sure if I just don't have the nozzle in the sweet spot or I am just not doing something right but I have tried over and over to figure it out.
    I feel your pain (for what it's worth)........

Regards,
    GG

3. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks it sure is a pain. You have it in correctly it is just 1/2 inch short. This is my second 458 and it never happened with my first one. till they changed the nozzle design. Ferrari should fix the problem with some type of adapter

4. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    You are correct that it is a pain.
    I do plan to go to a few other service stations and try their pumps out
    I always go to the same station so I haven't tried any other pumps and nozzles.
    Perhaps at the next Ferrari gathering where there are other 458 owners I can ask around and see if anyone else here has had the same issue.

Thanks,
    GG

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The best solution to this issue is to just move out of NJ, it's full of nothing but A-holes anyway. haha

Ray

6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Try this:
    1963-1976 Mopar B Body Fuel Tank Grommet Filler Neck Seal
    https://www.fillernecksupply.com/

I had the same issues with gas pumps in California and this seems to do the trick. It provides for a tighter seal

7. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Curious, wonder how landscapers deal with filling their equipment and portable cans, none of which have anything beyond a cap covering an open reservoir.

8. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    You can fill gas cans but it is a pain. You have to pull the slide collar back than insert the nozzle pull the trigger and if you are lucky it will work. With the Ferrari you hav to seat the nozzle pull the sleeve back and manually fill slowly and as previously mentioned no auto shut off when full now. Don't worry Biden and the EPA will require on all fuel pumps soon :(