problems starting 550 | FerrariChat

problems starting 550

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by berming, Aug 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. berming

berming Rookie

Aug 20, 2005
    has anyone had problems starting a 550 after it has been used for a while. recently i have had a problem starting it after having been driving (both motorway and in the city) and have had to let it cool down for 5/10 mins before it will start again. there are no warning lights flashing, the battery is new and the car was serviced 3 weeks ago. it feels as though the engine is flooded. any ideas as to what this may be caused by?

2. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Not that this is any help .... but I've never experienced this with my 2000, 550. Starts everytime, hot or cold.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    i would say have the fuel injectors checked. i have yet to experience this on any 550.

--Dan

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Ditto, had two, no starting problems ever, hot or cold.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    wierd one all right.

Maybe some kind of cam/crank sensor fault/dirt??

Maybe a fuel vapour lock some how?

Inlet manifold badly leaking?

Just a bad connector on some ignition/fuel circuit.?

let us know what the SD1 says from your dealer.....

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Check fuel pressure. The pressure in the system should be maintained for at minium twenty minutes after shut down to prevent vapour lock. If you have have a bad fuel regulator of fuel pump check valve, you could be losing fuel pressure. Basicly, hook a fuel gauge up to the fuel rail, start the car let it warm up and then shut it down. Monitor the fuel pressure. It should hold steady for at least 20 minutes until a noticable change in pressure occurs.

7. berming

berming Rookie

Aug 20, 2005
    thanks for the suggestions. i took the car to the dealer to have this problem checked and he said that it could be the temperature sensor that regulates the fuel/air mix. it might need to be replaced as apparently it could be broken and might be reading -20C and thus selecting a mix which is too rich for the actual temperature, but this doesn't sound right as all the temperature gauges appear to work.

could it be that when the new exhausts were fitted the engine wasn't tuned correctly and this leads to the flooding? another strange thing also happens from time to time: the grill at the base of the gear stick gets very hot and stays so for hours, even after the car has been parked for a while. any idea why this might happen?

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The coolant sensor for fuel injection does not operate your dash gauge, the SD1 will confirm if it's working or not, or diagnosis can be made from the ECU pin, subject to wiring diagram info to hand. It's possible that it could be disconnected for some reason, making it confuse things.

The exhaust changes will not affect anything at all.

Not sure about gearstick grille heat... elaborate?