Problems with F430 wheels on 360 | FerrariChat

Problems with F430 wheels on 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by henkie, Aug 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    #1 henkie, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I always loved the F430 wheels. And after 6 years ownership of my 2000 360 I thought what the heck and bought a new set OE brand new at Ebay.de.
    I also found tires with just 20% wear for them seperately.
    I read a rumour somewhere about slight problems but also read much more positive experiences here from 360 owners so I did it also..

Of course it looks fantastic and the performance is better. Due to the 1cm more width of the front and rear tires (Michelin Pilot sport PS2 -K1 F430) and of course due to the fact that it is 19” instead of 18”. The tires are flatter.

I noticed 2 remarkable matters. The F430 front wheel+ tire was 3kgs heavier and the rear 2kgs in comparisation with the 360 wheel. Quite some difference.

Original is 215/45-18 275/40-18 and now it is of course 225/35-19 with 285/35-19.
    But the tires show only 1,6 and 0,7% bigger perimeters so I expected no problems.
    The "new setup" is standard Challenge Stradale and F430.

Well.. I wished..but..
    It is not working. While braking in fast corners it feels like the brake pedal is coming up and becomes hard and less brake power. So I could say the ABS jumps in way to early. Last weekend I switched the tires again to try and no problems with the ole 360 setup.
    Braking harsh in very fast corners, no problems whatsoever. Like normal.

It is a pity but I am gonna sell them again. And I was really happy with it.
    I cannot believe it is happening, how many 360’s I see in the USA forum with all kind of Wheel brands..
    Do you really think the weight difference is the issue?

What is your experience or opinion? I have driven 35.000mls with the 360 so I think I know how it should drive ;-)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I have 430 wheels on my 03 spider and am not experiencing what you are. I did offset the weight as best as I could by replacing my wheel bolts with the Titanium version.

3. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Henkie,

I had exactly the same issue on a 2000 car. I'm led to believe it affects some, not all cars up to and including 2002.

I had to take them off also. The other option is play around with tyre size but like you I suspected the additional weight may contribute.

4. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    Sorry to hear about your wheel issues .... I hope you get it fixed.

What color is your car? Looks really good is it Corsa red or Scuderia red?

5. Pzerohero

Pzerohero Karting

May 28, 2013
    Your front wheels look too upright, on a CS the camber is much more aggressive, my front wheels lean into the wheel arch - just my 2 cents

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    when i had my 360 i had 19" hamann and 430 scud wheels and never had a concern

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #7 Kevin Rev'n, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OP Thanks for your informative post. Your car looks great with the black starfish BTW!
    I noticed that your wheel well has a deformed part of the sheet metal on the inside at the 12 o'clock position. I recently noticed this same thing on mine and meant to post up about it since my car runs the stock wheels and tires I was surprised to find this. The previous owner may have tried to run 430 wheels for a while since he had both a 430 AND a 360 but I am not sure.. Was that there before you swapped wheels?

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is where I would start. Go get the alignment and setup corrected and have the car corner balanced. You will likely find much better overall handling.

9. Pzerohero

Pzerohero Karting

May 28, 2013
    The camber adjustment should deffo stop any fouling of the arches, 2nd guess is brake fluid, the bigger wheel / tyre combo could be causing more heat in the brakes and affect the performance of your fluid

10. Pzerohero

Pzerohero Karting

May 28, 2013
    The camber adjustment should deffo stop any fouling of the arches, 2nd guess is brake fluid, the bigger wheel / tyre combo could be causing more heat in the brakes and affect the performance of your fluid

11. Pzerohero

Pzerohero Karting

May 28, 2013

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    While out for a drive one more thing came to mind. The OP says he purchased used tires, PS2s, and that the anti-lock is coming in too early. The obviously place to look is tire age. I ran an older set of tires around town and they are noticeably worse in performance. They slip in corners when they really shouldn't.

While I like the setup and brake fluid suggestions now I am thinking look to the tires first.

13. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Thanks for all the input people. I will try to give some answers.

-My car is Rossa Corsa, the ONLY right colour for a Ferrari ;)
    -The dent in the wheel well was there in 2006 when I bought the car at the dealer.
    -Should tire age be the issue? I am not sure.. Ok, these PS2's are from 2008 but the Pirelli Pzero's on my OE wheels are 2004.
    -I understand the camber matter of the CS. But the F430 hasn't got that setup neither.

I am still thinking about the weight matter. It is quite some difference.
    But we've read the post of Mike01606, he had exactly the same matter.

14. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Sounds like tires to me. The age of the tire is the most important fact if the tire is NEW. If used then you must consider heat cycles, wear, usage intervals, storage temp and humidity, etc.

I had a fairly new set of P Zeros (way newer than 08) that would slide all over the road. You might say my ABS was "over active" but in reality my tires were "under active". They had lost much of their traction in just 3 years, but were not worn out enough to change them. I put on new Bridgestone R11s and oh-my-god my car could remove sunglasses decelerating from 100 mph to 0. Also my yaw followed steering input on the R11s, instead of being a suggestion on the older, heat cycled, and somewhat worn P Zeros. My traction and yaw control used to activate 3-4 times per drive. Since the RE11s, I cant recall it activating once.

The P Zero system is fine, and works well. But just like most tires; ...not forever.

You should borrow someone elses 430 wheels for a test. You are welcome to mine, but I am not coming to Utrecht to deliver them ;)

15. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    I had 430 wheels on my 2001 360 with no problems at all other than the occasional fender rub. The fenders on the 360 really should be rolled to use the 19" wheels without a second thought however I found that if I was careful even that wasn't an issue.

16. anthony47

anthony47 Karting

May 15, 2005
    I think if you check the tire sizes ,the difference in diameter is cumulative,which might be enough to upset the balance.You might need bigger diameter front tires.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    He posted the sizes and difference. The differences are small so he should be fine. Plus, many use that setup without problems.

18. David007

David007 Rookie

Jun 23, 2009
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It will be the tyre sizes that's causing the problem, the differance front to rear on standard tyres is about 4% and I think with the 430 tyres its about 6.5%, you can normally get away with a difference of about 4.5% before the ABS ecu starts to get confused.

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I see what you are saying but the question is should the measurement be relative to the two having the same rolling radius (absolute) or is it a change from the anticipated setup (stock ratio). If it is the later the difference is only 2.2% but I don't know the answer to the first question. Maybe others here who really know will chime in.

The table below shows rolling diameters for both the 360 & 430 setup presented. The percent is front percentage smaller than rear.

front rear
    360 25.6 26.7 -4.1%
    430 25.2 26.9 -6.3%