Problems with Miller Motorcars | FerrariChat

Problems with Miller Motorcars

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by KenGoldman, Jun 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    At the Greenwich Concours on June 6, I brought my 330 GTC down. In the same area was a 250 PF Coupe which belonged to Miller Motorcars. I liked the car--- they told me it was for sale--and that I should talk to Mr. Werner Pfister--who handled all the older cars. I met him--as he was a judge there--and told him of my interest. A couple of days later, I called & set an appointment to see the car in 10 days. Werner told me he would get the compression & leakdown tests done and have them for me. I arranged for a hotel in Greenwich and made preparations to go & drive the car--and hopefully make a deal. Four days ago, I sent an e-mail to confirm our appointment as I was about to leave town. Later that day, I got an e-mail that another salesman had taken a deposit on the car--so I could not see it.

I called Werner and asked what was going on here? We made prior arrangements on this--and how could they do this. If I had a client coming in from our of town, I would tell other potential buyers that there was someone with a first option--and they would have to wait. Werner just said he did not know and other lame excuses. It seems his word that we had an appointment, etc. meant nothing at all !! I further mentioned that I had a 330 GTC (which he had seen) and if he wanted a deposit on it, I would have gladly given it to him. Silence on the phone, no response at all from Werner.

I had heard that he was quite knowledgeable & reliable from many other people in the Ferrari field---but my experience seems to indicate something quite different.

In conclusion, I hate the way I was treated by Miller Motorcars.

Anyone else out there had similar experiences ???

Ken Goldman

2. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Shady at best, noted in my personal log not to do business with them.

3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #3 Ron328, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    Hi Ken. I think, unfortunately, first buyer takes the car, unless you are a well-known and established customer to them. But I'll be disappointed too if it happens to me.
    It's better that you knew ahead of time, rather than finding out when you've already made the trip.

Best,
    Ron

4. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi Ken,

I would find it very hard to fault Miller or Werner given what you have described. I have known both and done business with them for twenty years and never had issue of any kind.

I am sure if you asked Werner for a pre-purchase agreement he would have provided one.

You should never risk spending any expense money on an inspection, test drive, PPI without first having a formal purchase agreement that protects buyer and seller interests and clarifies timing for the transaction as well as payment and delivery expectations.

No dealer wants a deal to go bad and no buyer wants to be taken advantage of.

We have a strict policy that any vehicle may be inspected, tested by anyone without restriction of any kind but that all vehicles are always subject to prior sale until a purchase agreement is signed.

We are also very hesitant and for the most part to allow a purchase sight-unseen especially the first time we do business with a new client. Our business has been built on repeat business and one those clients who only bought one car but gave high praise to others about the experience.

We don't have a perfect success rate and I would guess 1 out of every 200 clients goes home very upset by their purchase. Thats the nature of sales and you try to do what you can to make sure the purchase matches the clients needs without causing to much friction.

Most of the time there is plenty of time to coordinate inspections, test drives and evaluations of a potential car. Any dealer that tries to pressure you into a rush purchase is not worth doing business with.

Most importantly always remember never to worry or sweat about the car you don't get. The ones you do get will give you plenty of grief to make you soon forget about the ones that got away!

Cheers,

Bill

5. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    I personally know and respect Werner immensley.. Had a nice visit with him at the Dealership this past Saturday AAMOF.
    Werner is highly knowlegable and respected in the Ferrari circles, and the Dealership (formally Chinetti's) is as well. In purchasing cars over the last 40 years, all vehicles of high end nature are subject to sale without either a deposit or a pre-purchase agreement of some sort.

6. KenGoldman

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Hi Bill: I deal with rare coins--sometimes going well into six figures--so I am familiar with all you mention. HOWEVER, should I make a deal with someone who is coming from out of town--make promises to him (like doing a leak down & Compression test), then have him confirm the meeting & make hotel reservations, etc., I would NEVER sell him out.

Werner knew all of this in advance--he knew I was a qualified buyer by seeing my 330 GTC---as well as from remarks from Steve Markowski--who looked at the car for me right there. So don't say that there was no arrangements made--or no one knew anything for sure here.

Werner is the expert in Miller--everyone knows that. Werner is in charge of the old cars there--we all know that as well. He had choices here--like putting a hold sticker on the front window for a week. We have all seen that done before.

We made a deal--confirmed it several days later---then, PLAIN & SIMPLE, he broke his word--and then tried to tell me "Gee, I did not know someone took a deposit here"

You may know him as reputable. Facts speak for themselves. Would you do business in the future with someone who pulled this crap on you??

I sure would not!!

Yes, there are other cars out there---but there is no excuse for this type of behavior for someone who holds himself out to be a "Professional & Reputable person in Ferrari"

Ken Goldman

7. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would say your experience is a "freak of nature." Many times, money talks and just because you have a 330 GTC doesn't mean people know who you are or assume you can afford to buy anything at anytime. Werner is a stand up guy, as is Miller Motorcars. What I believe probably happened was that there was a miscommunication at some point and someone did not realize that there was a deposit on the vehicle already. I'm sure if you express your concerns to WErner, he will rectify the issue to make everything right, because that's the type of guy he is.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    #8 Prancing 12, Jun 30, 2010
    Did I miss the part where Ken actually put a deposit down?

While I agree the circumstances sound unfortunate, expressing verbal interest and making arrangements are a lot different to a dealer than someone willing to put money on the table.

I'm not questioning Ken's intentions to complete the purchase, but there's a reason the expression "Money talks, bull **** walks" exists.

The whole situation sounds like unfortunate timing. Usually, Ken's approach would land him a car. But (especially as a first time client of Miller's) there was more he could have done to secure the car while he did his due-diligence... a small deposit and pre-purchase order would have gone a long way.

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    First guy to actually write a check or wire funds wins. Law of the Jungle.

Yes, it's unfortunate that plans were made. And, Werner should have disclosed that earlier, if he knew about it. But, IF there was legitimate activity on the car, he should have given you the opportunity to wire funds first.

Anyway, there will ALWAYS be other cars to buy. Every time I miss a car, another one comes along. Frankly, I need a LOT more $ to buy all the things I want.

CW

10. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Imagine this situation for a moment.

The car is on the floor without a hold sign on it because there is no deal. All there is at this point is a definite maybe.

A buyer comes in and says "The price is fine. I'll take it."

Is the seller wrong to accept? What if the seller says to the buyer "no".

At what time was the seller obliged to indicate your interest, or call you and say there is other interest?

A bird in hand comes to mind from the sellers perspective.

I understand your dissapointment as well.

In parting I will say that when I see something that I want very much (usually the irreplaceable) I don't miss. Anything else I will replace. If it is lost to me, I don't care.

11. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Sorry but still do not fault Werner or Miller.

Given the circumstances as described. Will check with Werner and get his take on it.

I promise you without fail, anyone who expresses an interest in one of my vehicles will be treated like heaven sent. Pretty sure Werner hates to turn away business too.

I always offer full access, test-drives, independent inspection options just about anything you can think of to assist in someone's decision to purchase. Anyone who expresses an interest in doing so is always offered the option of a formal agreement with the understanding that if a vehicle meets the buyers needs, he will perform as outlined in an agreement within a specified time. Any thing that fails to meet the buyers needs simply the mean the deal is off or the price is adjusted to reflect the economics or possibly a found issue. Most times we do not even ask or want a deposit. That will depend on the timeliness of the purchase as well as other possible sales opportunities that may exist.

In any case we also always explains until an agreement is reached, 1st buyer who steps up becomes the machines next potential custodian until they say no and pass. Then its back to square one or onto a back-up buyer.

Once an agreement is in place, all other interested parties are advised and told their interests are appreciated but at this time we are seeking only "back-up" offers.

Like I said, most time having such a transparent way of doing business usually works. A very small fraction of our buyers whig-out anyway and have buyers remorse down the road and sometimes even the next day. It goes with the business and you learn after twenty years to try and weed out the potential problem buyers as best you can.

I bought a Daytona from Werner. He agreed to let me "fly and buy" if the car met my needs. Asked me if I wanted an agreement that specified my intentions and his position on the sale. We came to and easy agreement and I flew out the following week, me him, saw car, played with it bought it and sold it a few weeks later to a great first-time client in Canada who still has it. That was almost twenty years ago. Would do the same thing again today if opportunity presents itself again.

Just my opinion... but in this case, one I am sticking with.

Bill

12. KenGoldman

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    BILL: Thanks for your opinion.

But, if you were making arrangements to fly out & see the Daytona, I think you would have been pretty shocked if--after you got your airline tickets & hotel reservations done, Werner called & said he had sold the car elsewhere.

At no time did Werner ever tell me there was other interest. I further told him that I would have been happy to give him a deposit had he asked for it. Obviously, I was an interested buyer--HE SAW & JUDGED MY 330 GTC at the show !!

Everyone has an opinion---but all of the people who I told this story to--dealers as well as other collectors---expressed outrage & disappointment---as you can easily see from some of the remarks on this thread.

Sure there will be another car--in fact, I have heard of another car---but---not good business practice & a bit sad over all.

Ken Goldman

13. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    dude, dealer is selling the car, another salesman have a ready buyer with check, so how does the boss tell the 2nd salesman he can't sell the car because werner's client has shown interest.

if you were really interested you should had thrown down a deposit subject to good inspection. no different from buying real estate. wait ten days to see a rare vintage ferrari? so what does miller do for those 10 days? not do business?

many people in this world who can write a check for a vintage ferrari.

14. KenGoldman

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Hi Chris: I hear you---but I thought that was not necessary in this case.

Any notification of serious interest elsewhere----I would have gladly offered a refundable deposit to them. At no time did they say, "Hey we have other interested people". There were several reps from Miller at Greenwich.

I expressed interest---and a few days later--made arrangements with hotel, etc. I would think this qualified me as a SERIOUS buyer---and wasn't I entitled to, at least a hold for 6 days on the car---or a phone call to me?

I know as a dealer in expensive objects--if someone makes hotel & Travel arrangements, he is entitled to see what he is traveling a distance to see. If I had another willing buyer waving a check at me, At the least--I would have made a phone call to someone about to travel a long distance !!

And finally, the deal was not concluded with whoever was buying the car. Werner told me that he was doing a PPI for the potential buyer---But he specifically told me that he would get that for me ----BEFORE they had any money from anyone.

As the first one--and one who was PROMISED compression & Leakdown tests, shouldn't I have had the first option here??

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#15 Kds, Jun 30, 2010
    100% correct..................maybe the salesperson slipped up in not suggesting a deposit be taken and an agreement signed off subject to you performing due diligence, and maybe you slipped up by not offering one and by being more clear. My advice is to let it go, Ferrari made more than one 250PF.......in every transaction I do, if the buyer won't give me good faith money and sign a piece of paper they have no rights if someone else comes along who does, and they get told that clearly and in terms they can understand, almost always in writing via e-mail so I can CYA later on when they whine about it. And sometimes they do when the car sells quickly. I am a car salesman, ergo, no one believes me anyways. In fact, I ask them if they are clear and have no misconception about what that means. Now, if I have sold someone 4-5-6 cars in the past and as a result know them personally very well and they are away for 2-3 days I "will" hold something......but nobody, and I mean nobody, gets 10 days grace without a deposit and a deal. First one to the register with the cash in hand wins. It's a business, not a museum......and sometimes I even put it that way.

The reason I never call someone up and say "Hey I have a guy who is going to give me a deposit today if you don't" is simply because it is downright tacky.........you're the buyer, if you are interested enough to come and see it 10 days later, but are not interested enough to offer up a refundable deposit beforehand, you take your chances, and no where was it incumbent upon me to ask you for one. A sharp salesman always will.........but 98% of buyers normally rebuff the request anyways.

16. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Sorry Ken, but you are wrong.....Werner is first rate and going thru a major heath problem rightnow. Not in the office everyday. Out side of that, sorry, but you are still wrong with your feelings that you had some kind of a deal. May that works in the coin trade, but not is the auto trade. You need something in writting to hold a car for a week. One day maybe, but not a week. Just my opinion

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Serious Interest = cash deposit.

Anything less, leaves the car 'in play'. That's just "the rules".

I have purchased Ferraris from across the country, and to "hold" a car you send $5 or $10K out first.

I've had one instance, where my schedule prevented personal inspection and I had the send the ENTIRE AMOUNT, subject to refund...."if I didn't like it."

*plug for Micheal Wilhoit here....nice guy*

You can't expect them to carry the car forever while you make your plans.

Good Ferraris litter the marketplace, right now, pack some Benjamins into a Halliburton Zero, and hit the road!!

Still have the 512BBLM, bill noon???

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If you didn't have a deposit down on the car then what they did was completely justified.

Imagine, if everyone held cars because people were coming to see it or sending someone to look at it for them... most cars would be stuck in pending.

Bottom line is deposits/money is what talks. Reservations and plans unfortunately do not. If it was so important and this was the car you had to have you should have placed a deposit on the car.

Buyers these days are few and far between. Sellers need to take the money when it is real and in front of them.

This is no fault of Miller motorcars.

The only slight bit of blame on them is the sales person could have told you that the car will be available until you put a deposit on it. Planning to go see the car does not constitute enough of commitment to hold the vehicle.

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    how does this qualify you as a buyer?

21. wbc

wbc Karting

Sep 21, 2007
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Bill
    +1

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Not if you didn't buy the option. Which is what the deposit is.

23. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The first part of the story where he states another salesman already took a deposit on the car is what I was refering too.

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am with Ken on this one from what he has said.
    I am in business to, and recently had a potential client in Spain who wanted to look at a property i was selling. When they told me they where coming over to the UK and had booked the flights, without asking ,i took the home off the market and reserved it until they came to look at it, in the end they did not take it, but so what i lost 2 weeks of possible interest.

I would have felt like s+++ if i would have taken a deposit on it before they came, after they had made all the arrangements. I think Ken showed enough intent, for Millers to have held the car for him, after all this was a high ticket item by most peoples standards.

As for the old " the other sales person did not know" that's one of the oldest excuses in the book, Millers must be a massive operation if all the sales people did not know what was going on!
    In Law you a stuffed Ken, but the principles on how Millers operate must be called into question. This is based on what Ken has said but it would be good to hear the other side?

Grant Miller
    ****, i could be related, scrub what i just said!

25. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1,000,000,000,000........infinity!!

Just cause you have a 330 GTC doesn't mean anything as I stated before. Maybe you are showing the car for someone, maybe you inherited the car from someone...etc. If you diden't offer to show your bank account, then how does Werner know you can afford it and are the real deal. If you signed a check and put out a deposit with refund stipulations, then he WOULD HAVE KNOWN FOR SURE you are for real.

Mike