Project-Scuderia | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Project-Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by RBM, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Those 16 M rims look perfect. :)

2. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Formula 3

May 7, 2006
    SF Bay area
    Full Name:
    Michael
    nice choice of wheels when you want a change up.
    are they all the same tire specs?

3. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I have some track tire testing scheduled for this week. The 16Ms are the 'dress shoes' for this car; street use only. I'll mount them next week, as I am curious as well to see them on the car.

4. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    #129 RBM, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    #130 RBM, Sep 9, 2012
  6. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    wow!! thanks so much sir! did not know stocks were so light and even lighter than 16Ms!!
    makes the bbs pointless too, I'm sticking with my stocks! thanks again for taking the time to do the lists!

7. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Wow, really interesting data. Didn't know tires could be that much heavier. Looks like the RE-11 wins in every category except weight. I wonder how much of the superiority in traction is offset by the 12 lb weight difference versus the corsas.

8. Integra

Integra Karting

Mar 24, 2010
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Federico
    So this means the 16M that i have on mine are heavier than the stock ones? Fortunatly they are stronger too...

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

9. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    You may be mis-interpreting something. The BBS FI wheels are clearly lighter than either of the Ferrari wheel options. Given equal tires, the BBS wheel will be superior.

10. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    No, the Pirelli Rossos are heavier than the Pirelli Corsas. The front 16Ms are lighter than the front Scud wheels. The rears are about the same, although seem to be more consistent. Most likely because of the forging process vs. the casting process. More data to follow.

11. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I will find out this week. I am conducting back-to-back tire testing of Option II vs. Option III. We will see if weight wins out over grip.

12. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    #137 RBM, Sep 11, 2012
  13. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    #138 RBM, Sep 11, 2012
    XLNLIFE likes this.
  14. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    #139 RBM, Sep 13, 2012
  15. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    #140 RBM, Sep 13, 2012
    I installed the TraqMate data acquisition system in place of the radio. The complete system weighs 695 g (1.5 lb). The display unit is attached to a velcro strip on the radio faceplate. The sensor unit is attached to a velcro strip on the rear of the center tunnel, where the subwoofer enclosure used to be. I placed the TraqMate GPS antenna at the base of the dashboard. I'll test signal acquisition tomorrow to see if that location is adequate. There is already a GPS antenna in the car for the nav system, but the connectors are incompatible, so I will have to research connectors to see if I can develop a custom connector. I left the wiring exposed for now, as a temporary install, until I can test the unit to ensure everything is working. Then I can run the wiring through the center tunnel, alongside the radio and MP3 wiring.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    The traqmate antenna works great on that location, I have tested it.

The control unit needs to be in a solid location where it does not move, otherwise you'll pick erroneous g readings. Use the floor ride behind the passenger's seat, and use the super sticky full plastic super duty Velcro (the one that has all plastic on both connecting sides) on the four corners of the control Unit.

The Scuderia has an unused four point connector behind the Alcantara cover that sits behind the passenger's seat (where the LB engine ECU is located), that connectors gives you a ground, 12v and RPM signal for the Traqmate.

17. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Great tips, Thanks!!

18. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    #143 RBM, Sep 21, 2012
  19. FQ340

FQ340 Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    ahmet
    Whats with the old lights?
    I can take them of your hands if you like :)

My left one has 3 water drop lines in it, i guess a condensation problem, depending on the forum it's a chronic issue on 430s, it's not disturbing the light flow but it's irritating me.

Don't want to order a single one cause it will look too new.

20. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The lenses have the usual spider webbing and haziness. It was just starting last August, but it spreads like a cancer, and is now very noticeable. I suspect they will be kept as cores and returned to Ferrari to be refurbished.

21. FQ340

FQ340 Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    ahmet
    Oh, ok, thanks..

22. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    Under warranty?

23. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Yes, I took it to FoH in March 2012, the final month under warranty, to fix any discrepancies. The headlights were all they would agree to fix. The parts went on back-order. I called this week, and the parts were in. FoH did not call me when they came in, so I don't know the actual back-order delay.

24. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    Lucky you! Happen to have any pics of the the spider webbing, either before or current condition...

25. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    To recap, I conducted back-to-back testing of two tire-wheel combinations last week:

Option II - Stock Scuderia wheels, 8x19 w/Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 255/35R19, and 10x19 w/Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 305/30R19

Option III - BBS FI wheels, 8.75x10 w/Pirelli P-Zero Corsa 235/35R19, and 11.25x19 w/Pirelli P-Zero Corsa 285/35R19

I collected about 50 laps worth of good data with the instrumentation, and I found no statistically significant difference in overall lap times. The added grip of the RE-11 was equally offset by the added rotating, unsprung mass of the stock wheel + RE-11 combo. The only consistent, measurable difference in the data was a 0.05g improvement in acceleration for Option III, which you would expect from the lower mass.

As for seat-of-the-pants impressions, the RE-11 tires continue to provide neutal handling and inspire confidence in acceleration out of the corners, where the Corsas still tend toward throttle oversteer on exit, forcing me to reduce throttle and counter-steer to correct.

The Option I setup (BBS FI + RE-11) is still the best setup, except for the fender clearance issues with the 255/35 tire on the BBS FI wheel. The same tire on the stock wheel clears OK, so the issue is the BBS wheel offset. If anyone has tried a 245/35R19 on a BBS-FI wheel for the Scud, I would like to hear the results.