Proper alignment (camber) specs for TR? | FerrariChat

Proper alignment (camber) specs for TR?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Boxer12, Jun 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hi guys, I am just wondering if my car needs realignment. Here is a look at front Pzero with 10K miles on them. Opposite side shows identical wear. The rears are wearing flat across. The car tracks well, and I guess the wear on outside of fronts is from turn in scuffing, but maybe the camber needs some adjustment. I am not a tire expert, however. Jim

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Jim,

Looking at the pictures it could be either tracking or camber, bearing in mind the cost of tyres best advise is to check both.

MW

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Jim,

For some strange reason I can't find the settings for TR with P-zero, all I could find was as posted below. I guess there must be different settings for P-zero, I'm sure someone out there will post for you.

MW

4. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    MW, thanks. It just occurred to me that maybe Pirelli would have the correct settings. I will see if I can get thru to someone there. If anyone has them, please post. T-Y. Jim

5. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    BTW, these are 235/40 18" asymmetricos in front, and 285/30 18" in rear. Am I correct that the TR manuals would prob only apply to original wheel and tire combo?

If I can't find anything specific, should I just go for zero degree adjustments (perfectly square setup) all around?

Jim

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    With the different wheel/tire sizes I think you're on your own (and are naturally going to suffer from more uneven wear with camber since the tire is wider and the sidewall is so low/stiff)...

7. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I went with a zero/sq setup on my Carrera when I went with a plus 2 setup and it was good. I guess that is what I will do here. (Reading some other threads, I guess I am getting avg tread life from these tyres, and the wear isn't all that bad, so maybe I should just leave them alone, but I have to get an alignment someday.)

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I hadn't looked at those TR specs that closely before, but they are minimal front camber. If you can measure the (average) difference in depth between the remaining outermost circular grooves and the distance between them you could calculate that angle to get a rough feel for how far you are off (if any) from that modest stock US -1/2 deg spec. If it's less than 1 deg I wouldn't futz with it, but if significantly more than 1 deg then maybe I would -- just a thought...

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Likely Toe, not camber. Easy to check. Since the "car tracks well" - I'd bet too much Toe-in.

Any feathered edges?

If this much wear were from camber - I'd bet you could visually see the excess camber with an eyeball inspection....

Rgds,
    Vince

10. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It could also be from running under inflated, as the tyre wall will roll around. Usually this will wear both inner and outer edges, but if you go around roundabouts a lots, you'll knock the edges off.

I'd advise running about 0.5 degrees to 1 degree Negative on the front for road/track use...or even more for primarily track use.

Keep toe in to within 0.5-1mm, and keep pressures topped up.

11. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    No feathering, and no obvious camber. I will put them on an alignment rack as soon as I am satisfied that I have a good spec to go for. Thanks for the advice ferrarifixer. I assume you have experience in this, and keeping in mind this is a plus 2 setup on tires and wheels. Jim