Propsed EPA regs | FerrariChat

Propsed EPA regs

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, Feb 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
  2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I agree that it's worth signing a petition but sadly, it's a whole new environment. I suspect this amendment will be approved because most people would probably agree with it. Most people do not convert their street cars into racers and, for those who do, saying "our part of polluting is actually quite small," will not win any support from anybody.

OTOH, it is already illegal to remove the emissions equipment from on-road cars and people do it routinely. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that some folks on this site had actually removed their Cat converter/air pump and other emissions-related equipment.... ;)

3. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Da. :)

4. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I lost my catalytic converter in boating accident.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, and it's a big expensive mess to correct for those of us in California who want to buy those cars.

Not sure why more regulation is necessary if we already have emissions testing for cars registered for use on public roads.

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    In Pa our cars can be exempt from emissions testing depending on mileage.

Not sure if that's common in all states.

7. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    In MA, it is illegal to modify the emissions controls but they do not test emissions of cars more than 25 years old, maybe even 20 years.

No one ever checks to see if the emissions equipment is OEM on the older cars. I am not even sure most newer techs would know what to look for.

This legislation is a bit odd.

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I think it's more about sounding good then any actual effect. Is EPA going to have a tech at every race to see if a car that was originally sold for street use has it's emission systems installed/working?

OTOH, CURRENT emissions systems have virtually no ill effect on power. I have posted this before but John Lingenfelter posted results of cat/no cat Dyno tests on a 700+HP chevy motor and found that the Dyno could not reliably tell any difference in power output. IOW, there was no verifiable difference - he said the results were within the standard error of the Dyno.

9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Really? Maybe you should tell VW that.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Same thing happened to the gun I use to have. :(

11. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    They are after weekend racers and everyday drivers (can you spell Ricer?), and since they can't track every swinging dick that modified their car, whether it is for full time track use, or not, the easiest solution is to go after the manufactures who make the parts and put them out of business.

If they find one or a dozen (originally made for the)street car that has manufacturer XYZs' part on it, they put the manufacturer out of business, along with confiscating and crushing the consumers car, they don't have to check every single car on the road.

The fact that pro race teams may buy most of their stuff from the same manufacturers that sell to the general public, is of no interest to them, and that those manufacturers will probably go out of business, as 1% of their business, sold to pro racers, won't support the rest of the company, and soon even the Pros are going to be scrambling to figure out how to get parts....

Doug

12. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    #13 flashman, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    OTOH, it is already illegal to remove the emissions equipment from on-road cars and people do it routinely. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that some folks on this site had actually removed their Cat converter/air pump and other emissions-related equipment.... ;)[/QUOTE]

Interesting, my emission equipment disappeared after my first service when I moved to Arizona. It re-appeared in a box when I picked up the car. It really is magic when you move out of California.

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    California tests all cars 1975 and newer. (Not sure about diesels though.)

Hopefully your a/c didn't disappear in Arizona.

14. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Nope, it's still working great!
    Regards,
    William