Protecting Leather Dashboard... | FerrariChat

Protecting Leather Dashboard...

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Cali from CT, Sep 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cali from CT

Cali from CT Rookie

Jun 27, 2018
    Naples, FL
    Hi, Folks.
    Just moved to Florida and am concerned about leaving the car in the sun; specifically, worried about the leather dashboard.
    Is there a conditioner (Lexol?) that should be used more frequently?
    Is there a a dash cover specific for the Cali T?
    Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Check with WeatherTech and California Car Cover. I have a roll-up WeatherTech for my Portofino. I prefer the folding ones from California Car Cover,but they don't have one yet for my car.

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I use Leatherique on my 599 leather dash and a weather tech windshield sun cover.

Piper likes this.
  4. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Chizz likes this.
  5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    I use two methods.

Method 1 - I had all the glass in my car wrapped with a high quality UV-&-heat-filtering film. Because it's designed for windshields the film transmits most of the visible light but really cuts heat and UV. One of the best mods I made to my car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Method 2 - sun shade, bought mine from CarID.com back in 2013, made by Intro-Tech® $39.95 - fits well.

The sun visors in the Cali are too tiny to hold the sunshade so you slip the upper edge in between the glass windshield and the leather headliner that goes around the windshield. It stays in place and is easy to remove.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BTW, about leather treatments...

...the leather in our cars are coated with polyurethane so they don't really have pores like natural leather. I'm not sure of all the reasons why the leather is treated this way but it definitely makes it easy to match colours and polyurethane is tough and water resistant. It can also make it easier to professionally repair minor damage.

Anyway, regular leather treatment will not work on this type of leather. You need to get stuff that is specifically made for polyurethane-treated leather. Using the wrong stuff may also compromise the polyurethane... if the stuff contains an ingredient that affects polyurethane.

In effect, you are applying treatment to protect the polyurethane, not so much the leather.

6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The folding sunshade from California Car Cover works for all years of California/Portofino. It is called Ultimate Reflector and is # FR-03-R.

7. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Thanks for your valuable information. So if I may ask which would be such product that could protect polyurethane?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Intro-Tech Automotive makes the folding sunshade that I mentioned above. They are the best that I have tried.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Essentially, do not wax leather than has a polyurethane (rubber) surface coating as it obviously won't work and leaves an off-white coat of greasy wax on the rubber that attracts dirt. There are cleaner/conditioners that are designed for leather on modern car interiors which are different from the leather in old cars. Just check the product labels.

I use Meguiar's. I can see it work because my car has cuoio interior and I have a nasty habit of wearing new navy blue jeans that continually bleed dye even after many washes (Guess brand's one of the worst). The cleaner removes the dye in quick order, leaves no film, just makes the leather softer than before.

Also good if the product protects against UV.

10. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Thanks for your input!. I've gone to Meguiar's website and they seem to have quite a huge list of products!. I too have a cuoio interior in the Portofino so I guess your experience would be very much appreciated which products do you use from their range?