Purchasing new Ferrari's and the waiting list.. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Purchasing new Ferrari's and the waiting list..

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by pdiack, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Brian,

Before you go off on this let me just tell you what they told me. They would me more than happy to sell my car through them so they could make more money on it to the next guy. They could not give a **** about a True Ferrari Enthusiast or a Speculator. They wanted to make a profit the second time around. I never made any agreement on what to do with the Car once I bought it from them.

As far as them not selling me a car again, it is funny how they really want to sell their Maseratis that just sit on the lot. To them this is business not Ferrari Enthusiasm.

As far as applauding them that is your business, think what you want.

2. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I appreciate the love of the marque, but guys...this is BULL****. You are getting jerked around...I just dont understand how anyone would put up with this...THREE OR FOUR years!!! my god, I could be dead by then! How bout this as a novel concept...quit that POS 612...throw it in the trash....Keep making the same number of 575's (nobody is buying these all that much anywayz) and FIRE UP production of the 360/420 whatever....I think they will HAVE to do this, as i have read that AUDI/VW has no intention of significant waiting lists for the gallardo (maybe only for a year until the level of production is right)...and Porsche will get you a turbo in half an hour! This is too much for ferrari ownership, then theres the guy who went over his repair history...my god...its a shame, bc i am in love with the 360 shape and even more the stradale, put in a 6 spd and a nice torquey yet high rpm V8 and Im in...but not gonna wait 4 years...

3. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

Because Ferrari's are limited production cars, a dealer cannot make ends meet relying solely on new car sales. Most dealers are lucky to get 20 cars a year and if you do the math it will become readily apparent it is not a profitable business model.

To make the system work they need the recycling of new Ferrari's they sold and the only way this can be accomplished is by partnering with the customer they sold the car to. There is not one person on this board (if they are financially savvy) who would run a dealership differently.

It is a good fair business practice.

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    They make money on service, not new car sales.

5. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

When you wrote you ordered the car in July of 2000 did you mean you went on the list? If you meant ordering, did you get a print out of your order sheet specifying options, color etc. and get a delivery date?

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Nberry, I went on a list, as I had bought a previous car from a different Ferrari Dealership and when I wanted to buy the Spider they told me to use my local Ferrari Dealership, so I went on a list and was given the spec sheet around May of 03. I still have my first car I bought and did not intend to sell the second one, only because I prefer Coupes. I am not a speculator nor am I a Auto Dealer.

They told me originally my car would be ready in 2 years. But I guess other People moved up the list a bit quicker who were more generous with the Dealer.

7. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    how much of a deposit did you guys have to put down to get on the list?

8. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    None

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I have read all your responses to the 360. I have two, an older 8 and an older 12. I was on the list for 3 yrs and was not getting a car. So I decided to do the unthinkable, I took the money and bought 2 really good used older Fcars. They had service, and good papers, a buddy of mine just got delivery of his 2003 360, and you know after this summer we both concluded the same thing...I made the better choice. Got two for the price of one, and my older TR drives just as strong in the straight line and corners in the city as his 360. And the strange part, at the coffee houses, I get all the questions.

Save your money.....buy some of the good older stuff and enjoy them. The sound of the older 12s sound better than the 360.
    Just a suggestion....they are all very beautiful...regardless of yr !!
    Why would you want the same ferrari as all the movie stars and hockey players anyway? They don't even know its hand made.
    Good luck to all.
    Cheers.

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Deposits seem to vary between nothing and $10,000, depending on your relationship (if any) with your dealer. From asking around, I'd say the average is probably $5,000.

Gary

11. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

Though service is a profit center, it certainly isn't sufficient enough to be a major contibutor. Keep in mind the investment in creating and maintaining a service department is considerable. When you factor in very few cars to work on (warranty work is reimbursed at a much lower rate) and outside competitors for work on older models there really isn't a lot of margin.

12. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    thanks for your answers regarding the deposits. I prefer the 355 over the 360, but maybe I'd put down a deposit on the 360 replacement. wonder if there is a list on the models that are not being produced yet.

13. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ

yea, 5000 for deposit. I was told i have to wait 18 months for a 360 coupe. Unless i want to buy a used from their lot at a premium price, this is the only way to get at msrp. Does this sound right?

i should also mention that this was about a week ago, so i'm not sure if i actually want the used because of the upcoming replacement( if there is one in 04/05).

14. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I was the one who put Brian on the original 360 list back when I worked for FoDallas. I remember well when he bought his euro model 360 and the "pains" he went thru to get it. I was still at FoDallas when he decided to change over to the Stradale. I have since left FoDallas and am really frustrated as him in what has happened to the Stradale. We went thru a lot of anxious moments together during that long wait. Brian even sent the man who was at that time president of the company Brian worked for to me for the sale of a 360. I sold his 355 for him and got him a black 360 coupe (remember Brian???)

I look forward to the time when Brian receives his Stradale. Brian, bring it by when it comes in.

The last time I heard, the lists are as long as you are reading. Ferrari intends to keep worldwide production to about 4000 units per year and will not follow the market as far as demand goes as they know very well that the market is fickle and cyclical and could come to a halt just as quickly as it picked up. Remember the end of 355 production? You could walk right into a Ferrari dealership and buy one off the floor for sticker or less. As long as demand stays up like it is, you will see the long lists. Watch the market drop and see how many people drop off the list.

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Sounds about right. Some dealers are not accepting deposits at all anymore, so you are better off than you might be. The details and timing of the 360 replacement are still to be decided, of course, so you have to do what you think is best somewhat in the blind.

Gary

16. Liquid

Liquid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Doylestown, PA
    This is a great thread, lots of information. I would like to know what the actual MSRP is for the 360 coupe & the 360 spider. I've seen people on Ebay trying to flip spiders w/ 1K-3K miles for 240K. That would be how much over the actual MSRP. Also how much was the 355's MSRP when it was brand new. Was the same thing going on w/ the 355's (waiting list - taking delivery - flipping for over MSRP)?

17. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Guys,

this may seem painfully obvious and possibly childish, but when i asked my father for a xmas present (360 replacement wait list spot) he told me that it was ridicoulous as the car was still over a year away. Not that he will actually do it, but he told me that the way to get to these guys and get one of the first is to pay them about $5K PERSONALLY. He told me that it used to work for him when he was a pcar owner, and that the dealer could, of course have one made for themselves bc it is "a company benefit" not for him, but for advertising...just a thought, im sure it would work in SOME places...Ive never owned and fcar, but my dealer is very friendly, i think hed help if i could afford one now...

18. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    Very true. Money talks in any business....period.

19. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

In regards to those who responded about SL's you may or may not have realized that I am speaking about Canadian dealers who compete against MB factory owned stores.

It still is approximately 18-24 months at most major dealers for new SL customer specified orders....but like anything else....I am sure that you could find one somewhere in an undesireable color or a cancelled order situation that may have arisen.

I sold an SL55 to the company where I work now....and that was 2 years ago. It's still about 12-18 months before we can hope to be able to spec it out.

So the US has a different situation than Canada in this regard obviously.

I have personally had several clients over the years wait 2-3 years for their cars (BMW, MB and Porsche)......so I really do not think it is unusual at all.

Anyways, I just wanted to make a comment about offering a sales manager cash for a car. It usually happens from the kind of client that you would not want as a customer anyways IMHO. Isn't that what the secondary market is for ? People who want to pay too much ? If any of my employees when I was a sales manager did this I told them that I would fire them and have the police charge them with receiving secret comissions which is a criminal offence in Canada.

20. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    HMS,

Can you prove that a Ferrari sales manager accepted $10K to get someone the next car????

I was with FoDallas for three years and if I had ever even acted as though I were going to do that I would have been fired so quickly it would have hurt. Money may talk but when you deal with people like real Ferrari owners you do not violate their trust by doing something like that. How would anyone on this list feel if they were moved past because of a bribe? Would anyone on this list offer a bribe in order to move past someone who had been on the list for 2-3 years? And if they did, how would their conscience be after doing so?

The Ferrari world is small and word gets around very quickly as witnessed by this forum. I would not risk my own reputation and integrity to pick up an extra $10K by accepting a bribe. Sure I would be tempted but I would not bow to the temptation. I was offered a Rolex President to get a car. Did I accept it? No, and I passed on to the dealer that a bribe had been attempted. The person who attempted the bribe has not been able to get on the list as far as I know.

21. Shmokin'

Shmokin' Rookie

Feb 25, 2013
  22. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Try the buyers guide in the 360 section

23. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Yep, do this. Its a lot better than replying in a thread about the list ordering one.

You can find it just a little further down the home page.

PDG

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android