QA1 Front shocks with NO A-arm modification! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

QA1 Front shocks with NO A-arm modification!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, Jan 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    i have same problem pass side only PITA keep us posted...

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    See if you can't find some of the lube that's sold with poly bushings.

As for the later 328s & Mondials that don't use eye type upper shock mounts, I've got a good handle on a mounting design, but haven't had time to work out the details & source parts. Hopefully I'll have something in a few months.

One thing hampering me is that I don't have access to a late 328 or a Mondial to get measurements from & test the concept on.

ferrariowner likes this.
  3. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I used the lube that came with the QA-1 liberally. I also used them on the suspension bushings, since I did them at the same time. I also applied this to the sway bar bushings. I have not had a squeek since day one.

As a data point, I did not modify my A-arms nor did I use any paper weights. There was very very minor contact and this was at "full droop".

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Thank you, Verell; I will sit by patiently. Though, feel free to swing by Alaska anytime to look at a late model 328 for reference.

Thanks again for the great project. Even though it is not applicable for my car, it was enjoyable and interesting.

5. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    I probably should have included my results here instead of starting a new thread, but check out 308 GTS/modified suspension--I have done almost all the same as our heroes on here to my car--thanks to all who provided the information and inspiration!

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    Tip # 1 at the following link (which is probably where many of us purchased our ES bushings) seems to me as if it might be a reasonable approach at install time if one wants to reduce the risk of squeaks. I'm just starting to rebuild all of my suspension components (using Verell's famous paperweights of course!) and wonder if I might try this. Have any of you guys got any thoughts on this idea?

http://www.suspension.com/tips.htm

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Newbydude,
    It's not the poly bushings squeaking. I had those for 2 years with no squeaks before I upgraded the shocks. I'm fairly certain the squeak is Verell's SS shock eye bushing squeaking against the mounting bolt. (Not the "paper weights" but the stainless bushing adapter kit that adapts the QA1 end bushings to the size to fit the 308 mounting points.) That's the only thing that makes sense, but I can't be sure until I lube them and see if the squeaks go away. This is in no way a reflection on Verell's design...his design is the same as the OEM Koni shock bushing (a metal tube inside the rubber bushing which can't be crushed when you torque down the mounting bolt) through the middle of the shock mount. I think Verell's design just uses harder metal which needs some lube on it. It's rubbing up against very hard suspension bolts. The Koni bushings are made of much softer steel. I'm going to use the thick Energy Suspension lube that they give you for the A arm bushings to lube mine because I have plenty of it left over and I think it will be perfect.

Birdman

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Sorry Birdman, didn't pick up on you squeak earlier.

Hmm,
    I'll be interested in the results of the lube tests. The adapter bushings are exactly the same length as the metal sleeve inside the Koni bushings. I'll be surprised if the front & upper rear SS bushings can move on the bolt. The bolt should be compressing the mounting yoke hard against them so there's no end play.

I'm less sure about the lower rear bushings as the cast ears on the upright may not give enough to compress firmly onto the adapter bushing, so the bushing might be able to move a tiny amount. You could see if you can fit a very thin (0.001" or 0.002") feeler gauge between the end of the adapter bushing & the ear. If you can, then make a shim washer out of a thin piece of steel (eg: SS shim stock, or in a pinch, a piece of food or beveridge can) to remove all slack.

As for a lubricant, for a high pressure application of SS on hard steel, I'd use a CV rated grease containing 'moly'. Same stuff you'd use for the half-shaft CV joints.

Even tho I provide a set of washers to ensure the QA1 eye poly bushing has no free play, I'd be more inclined to suspect it's a QA1 eye poly bushing slipping on the adapter bushing's OD than an adapter bushing having enough free play to squeak.

9. bocaspyder360

bocaspyder360 Karting

Jan 18, 2008
    I have a 1984 euro 308 gts... looking to lower it... someone please tell me if it can be done with new springs and shocks without cutting or grinding anything? I am looking to lower the corners maybe 1/2 " to 3/4" just enough to take out some of the empty space above my tires to the fenders.. I have 17" wheels on the car.... thanks

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    See the paperweights thread this thread links to.

11. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I used ALL the shim washers and compressed the poly bushings slightly to install the circlips. I have the same squeek as Birdman on the front right only. Not a big deal ,as once I'm over 3000 rpm the exhaust note drowns it out. It would be nice to know if it's a metal/metal lube issue or a poly bushing squeek though.?!?

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Try a couple of drops of motor oil just on the steel bushing ends. If it quiets down, then it's probably steel on steel.

13. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I think the squeak is the end of the springs rubbing on the spring seat. . .. stock setup has a rubber isolator between the spring and the seat . .. next time I have them off I'll dry lube the ends to see.

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    IMHO, springs on the perch is much more likely than the ss bushing squeaking.
    A nylon or teflon washer would be a nice permanent fix.

15. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I actually think QA1 or Summit sells a perch ring with either needle bearings or is made of PTFE or similar, to aid in ease of adjusting the springs. (I, of course..., did not buy those. But, I did lube the spring perches and adjuster rings with anti-sieze, so I don't think thats the source of the squeek). I am going to try a couple drops of Tri-flow teflon lube on the bushing/bolts.

16. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Sounds like this will be sorted out soon? I've been patiently watching this thread too. I can't replace my shocks and springs yet but I will as soon as I can afford it. I will have to do all the suspension bushings too. A squeek would drive me nuts for sure. Looking forward to the final outcome! You guys are doing great work!

Cheers!

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Lou,
    Please report back! I'm in a "high work" phase of the year and haven't had much car tinkering time at all this winter. I have all kinds of Fcar projects half-finished! I would be thrilled if you could save me the troubleshooting!

Birdman

18. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I'll check again today but my squeek is almost non existent . .. think I only notice it with the car idling thru a parking lot MAYBE.

I put generic timken thrust bearings (plus thrust washer on each side of bearing) on the bottom perch and put the crappy supplied steel washer that went on the bottom perch on the top perch all coated with anti seize.

19. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    My suspension doesn't squeek . . . absolutely nothing on the rear . . a slight "groan" on the front when I bounce it which I think is the swaybar . . you can't hear anything when the engines running and you're driving though . . .even idling thru parking lots over speed bumps can't hear anything.

Without the thrust bearings, you would've wiped a lot of the antiseize off the critical surfaces when you're adjusting the perches . .. just a thought.

Sean

20. bocaspyder360

bocaspyder360 Karting

Jan 18, 2008
    Do these shocks allow the car to be lowered? I have the koni's on my 84 euro 308.. and just put 17" wheels & tires on her, but the front end sits a little higher then the rear.. driving me nuts.. I want to lower the car a little or at least the from end maybe 3/8" to 1/2"

21. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #246 luckydynes, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Heck yes . ..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. bocaspyder360

bocaspyder360 Karting

Jan 18, 2008
    can these shocks be installed with no modification, the early posts seem to state there are some problems fitting them without cutting and changing things... I dont want to cut or alter anything... would love to be able to lower my car a 1/2"

23. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #248 Pizzaman Chris, Feb 17, 2008
  24. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #249 luckydynes, Feb 17, 2008
    I'm replacing them tomorrow :)

Thought you could see the tread for a minute, then realized you were referring to something that has no benefit to lap time ;). When things get complicated in life that's my common denominator . .. I only have 27 hours a day to get things done and shining tires fell off the list when someone posted the plug reading thread :) I wish I could go back in time sometimes though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen