QA1 Front shocks with NO A-arm modification! | Page 9 | FerrariChat

QA1 Front shocks with NO A-arm modification!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, Jan 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well, I drove it around all day yesterday. Still smiling! I may have to soften the shocks a little....the CD player skipped too much! :D

Nah.

Birdman

2. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #203 Birdman, May 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys, I can't let this thread go on without a mention that poor Paris is going to the slammer.

WHAT ever will we do without her for 45 days?

Birdman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Some updates. After the car has been on the ground for a week and settled, I decided to measure it again. The front end clearly had settled. As it turns out, the front end settled about 3/4". SO I put it on the lift and did three turns of the adjuster (about 1/4" rise of car per turn) and put it back on the ground. Perfect. Hopefully it doesn't keep settling!

The rears, interestingly enough, didn't really settle at all. Maybe 1/8". I adjusted them down a little. In the back, because the shocks are much more upright and the geometry of the suspension is much different, one turn (360 degrees) of the adjuster only causes 1/8" change in car height.

Birdman

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Oh yeah, I thought I would post this for those of you who might be interested in installing shock eyes (of any type) on your shocks....

QA1 EYE INSTALLATION TIPS

In conversations with QA1 tech support, they made it clear that the following steps are necessary for safe reinstallation of eyes on QA1 shocks:

You will need:
    •Small tube of RED (maximum strength) Loctite thread lock
    •Lacquer thinner or spray brake cleaner

1) Remove the lock nut from the end of the shock shaft.

2) Thoroughly clean the eye, jam nut, & shaft threads, then degrease the threads, nut, & bottom of the eye with aerosol brake cleaner or other solvent & let it evaporate for a few minuites to ensure there's no cleaner left on the parts.

3) Screw the jam nut down on the shaft as far as it will go (just finger tight).

4) Apply red loctite to the shaft threads from the jam nut to the shaft's end, also apply it to the bottom of the eye where the jam nut will press against it.

5) Quickly screw the eye down onto the shaft until the shaft bottoms out inside the eye, or the eye bottoms out on the jam nut. If available, clamp the shaft between blocks of wood, or aluminum & tighten the eye down firmly onto the shaft.

6)Use something round like a steel rod, piece of round pipe, pry bar, big-ass screwdriver, etc. inside the eye to hold it while you tighten the jam nut up firmly against the bottom of the eye.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #206 Birdman, May 13, 2007
    I took a drive over to a friend's house and I had my camera, so I took another shot of the car's stance. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

Birdman

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Looks good buddy.

Now if i can only find a way to compress the rear springs so i can get them on my shocks i can start rockin. :)

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You mean the fronts. The rears have enough thread to put the springs on without compressors. The fronts need compressors. Bring the stuff over to my place after work some night and we'll press in the bushings and put the springs on. It'll take an hour.

Birdman

9. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Very nice indeed! Wow, I guess the only way to improve the lines of a GTB is to drop the ride height. I can't wait to do me GTS (installed my springs and paperweights last night, just waiting on the bushing kit)

-L

10. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #210 RVIDRCI, May 13, 2007
    With Paris out of circulation, Salma is going to have to carry the thread for a while. Que Lastima !!

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    WOW, more pics of her like that!!

Birdman

P.S. Thanks for the kind words. It looks ever better in person!

12. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #212 Pizzaman Chris, May 13, 2007
    Ooops, you are correct sir.

Thanks for the offer JB.:)

I just got back from a garage that rents out tools. I got myself a spring compressor thingamajig.

So I'm gonna ask cause I am a duh.

How the f can I compress the spring and get the two bottom pieces on and the top cap??

13. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    OMFG!!:D:D

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Put the compressor in the middle of the spring someplace and just grab about 50% of the coils. There is a pic of how I did it someplace in this thread.

Birdman

Edit:
    Here it is:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136458883&postcount=95

15. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    That's what i was trying to do, but couldn't fit the compressor "fingers" threw the coils. Seems they are thick to go in there. Hmmmm.....

See second picture.

16. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #216 Pizzaman Chris, May 13, 2007
  17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    They will probably fit, but you may have to take the big bolt out of the clamps entirely to get the clamps into the springs. Then put the bolt back in, torque it down, compress the spring, put the shock together, loosen the bolt, remove the bolt, pull the clamps out of the spring.

Birdman

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I see a couple of things that bother me:
    1) It looks like if you manage to clamp that holder onto a spring it may gouge up the shock.
    2)Once you get it on, it looks like it may be hard to get it off again.

Take the shocks & springs to a Midas or other shop that sells shocks. For about $5 or $10/shock they'll put them on. Just watch them when they go to do it to make sure they're being sufficiently careful.

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I actually used my bench grinder to make the claws on mine a little thinner so they would be sure to come out. They worked fine, but I had to disassemble the spring compressor to remove/install the claws into the coils of the spring. no biggie.

Seriously Chris, I have this all worked out. You work 15 minutes from here. bring them over.

Birdman

20. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    To late......i gouged one of the shocks already. :(

I stopped by my local garage, they usually do work on my truck. They said they can do it.

They already dropped one shock, so i know they will be careful.

And he's the owner too.

21. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    *slapping forehead*

D'oh!

22. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    After looking at the finish results (ride height) of Birdmans 308, I want a set of QA1 for my QV now. Excellent job Birdman and Verell

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey All,
    A six month later update. Springs have not settled any more. Car still looks the balls. No issues at all except one of the shock bushings seems to be squeeking. I can't be sure it's a shock bushing, but I had no suspension squeeks before the new shocks and I have one after, so it seems logical. It sounds like it's a rear shock. I will try lubing them this winter and see if that gets it.

Birdman

24. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Birdman, Verell,
    I have watched this with some interest over the last year, and it looks like a great project from thought to reality. Is this something that would work (or is neccessary) on a 328? Especially the 1989 328 with the "updated" suspension? It seems that if I were to replace my shocks, that they seem to be hard to find. Even the Koni dealers only have shocks for early 328s.

Thanks again for an interesting project to follow.

25. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Hmmm, both my front ones started squeeking after the QA-1 upgrade. I used molycote grease when putting them in. Thinking of getting them out again and use copper grease this time. Ideas?

Thanks

Hans

P.S. LOVE my springs and shocks too! 300/300 front/rear and shocks set to 4 or 5 (of 12), don't exactly recall...