Question about Dubai and anti-Semitism | FerrariChat

Question about Dubai and anti-Semitism

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by vipermann123, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    I was planning a summer vacation in Dubai in June, and a friend wanted to come along.
    My buddy is Jewish (American Jew - not Israeli Jew).

Is it safe for him to travel to Dubai with me?
    Is Dubai as anti-Semitic as Saudi Arabia or Kuwait?

Or is Dubai a bit more liberal.

Thanks,
    Uzy

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Uzy,

Your friend shouldn't have any problems as long as he doesn't have an Israeli stamp in his passport.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Kuwait is 'anti-semtic' ... I personally know a number of Jews that live and work here. Obviously, just like in many, many places with Islamic tenents in their constitution, Israeli products are not allowed here, but there is no overt anti-semitism, except from the extremists.

Mike in Kuwait

3. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Mike - "I'm not sure where you got the idea that Kuwait is 'anti-semtic' "

My appologies Mike.....I just assumed that Kuwait was "Anti-Semtic".

My bad....Sorry for the general assumption.

I admit that I do not know much about the Middle East and its culture or traditions, and because of that, I make "General Assumptions".

Guess, I'll tell my friend to plan his trip.

Thanks,
    UZY

4. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    You also assumed that Saudi Arabia was anti semetic too. Anti occupation of arab lands, anti murder of arab men women and childen, anti Israel YES, but anti semetic NO.

5. goldfever

goldfever Karting

Jul 6, 2006
    #5 goldfever, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
    I think there is some contradiction in your question about arabs and Semites
    A little info , hope it helps.

JEWS are not the only Semites.

Arabs are Semites as well.

So Arabs cant be anti-Semetic.

Example:

what is shown in the US or the West is that:
    When someone insults an Arab (in the media, Hollywood, sterotypes) then thats ok. but
    when someone insults a JEW - NOW thats anti-semetic
    even though both Jews and Arabs and semites.

Furthermore, A european/American jew is not always a semite.
    An arab jew however is always semite.

When u say safe, what do u mean?
    If u mean people are gonna chase him down the street, or hunt him down etc. then No
    In terms of liberal, Dubai is liberal and the UAE is a diverse place and very tolerant

With regards to the issue of coming to the country im really not sure about entry laws etc.
    With regards to the general perception, also not sure, since locals in the UAE are like 15%-20% of the population only.
    Best,

6. ojbj

ojbj Karting
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2008
    Uzy,
    you're dumb.

7. BAD930

BAD930 Karting

Oct 16, 2004
    Bouncing Around
    Full Name:
    Shmuley
    viperman..sorry mate but u're an idiot... leave your polictical views and thoughts behind and come enjoy this part of the world... forget what you hear in the media, arabs and more-so gulf arabs are very laid back relaxed and friendly people who are always happy to invite you into their homes... as i said just leave your political and religious views behind.. enjoy :)

8. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    No nead to call viperman an idiot or dumb etc.... The media is a very powerful tool and obviously viperman has been influenced by what he sees and hears in the media so instead of insulting the guy how about we educate him on the real middle east the middle east that most westerners do not see and do not believe that it exists.

example:

for the last two days israel has been bombing the living daylights out of the gaza strip, if you watch fox or cnn you are lead to believe that the hamas terrorists are sending rockets into israel and all that israel is doing is defending itself from these barbarian terrorists. Just switch channels to aljazeera for example and you will hear about the occupying army who has illigally occupied the palestinian territories for 40 years with total disregard to the un resolutions using airplanes, gunships, smart bombs etc... bombing police buildings, schools, universities, mosques, and homes, 300 people dead so far, 1000 injured in 48 hours and nobody cares. israel claims that they are the victims eventhough they are the occupying army. Hammas says that they are the victims because they are being murdered in their own homes and how can they be terrorists when they are not the ones occupying, murdering, starving, and enslaving the occupied people. this is their land and it has been occupied for over 40 years.
    The truth depends on what side of the planet you live on, or what news channel you watch. The best thing is to educate people instead of insulting them.

Regards,
    BANANA.

9. goldfever

goldfever Karting

Jul 6, 2006
    #9 goldfever, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
    Dear Banana
    thats what im doing, im educating the man.

No intention of insulting whatsoever.

I see many U.S intern students at my university and i always explain our side of the story.
    I understand many people from the U.S are exposed to a certain perspective. and it is out job to present our side in a
    calm and respective manner.

So Again. No insulting what so ever. Just presenting it from the other side

The Israeli issue. Is extremely politically charged. I read in the news paper today that 1300 Palestinians killed.

and today is the first day of the islamic new year. 1/1/1430.
    Maybe thats Israels way of saying happy new year!!!

10. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I've lived in Saudi twice, and the Saudis (or any other Mid east residents) are far from anti jewish. Anti Israeli goverment yes, but anti the people? No. Your friend should have no problem in dubai, and hope you both have a great time.

Viperman I will say that as a Muslim you should know the score. Making generalisations like that is a huge disappointment and you should stop watching any American news channels. Watching the likes for CNN is not news, its entertainment.

11. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    My comment was not directed at you. I totally respect the answer you gave and the clarification on the anti-semite misconception.

12. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Look .... no need to call me an idiot.
    You can't just explain the situation to me like an educated adult?

The reason I posted, is that I have never been to the Middle East myself, and neighter has my friend Tim (who is American, but he is Jewish).
    Both Tim and I thought it might be nice to visit Dubai this summer and see the city and its high rise buildings.
    Tim wanted to go, but was not sure if a Jewish American would be (1) safe and (2) welcomed.

I didn't know the answer, so I know in the "Middle East" section of the forum, someone from Dubai might respond.

I asked a question!!!... I didn't make a statement that people from the Middle East hate all Jews. Just to make the facts clear.

Thanks,
    UZY

13. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I have to agree with Uzy... no need to get personal... he asked a question, and it was answered...

I've had the pleasure to corresponding A LOT with Uzy, and he's a stand up guy... just because someone doesn't know something about what you THINK you know about doesn't make them an idiot... it simply means they don't know.

In my life of more than 50 years, I've found that it's usually people with definite personal insecurities that are quick to point out that they think other people are idiots...

We don't need that kind of interchange on this board... for the most part, everyone here, although opinionated, recognize other opinions as valid, and try to answer open questions as fully and completely as possible...

Let's all just lighten up a little.... ok?

Mike in Kuwait

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

OK, not to interfere here (well ok, maybe a little) I think the question was answered, a little poo was tossed unnecessarily, and we should all move along.

So, thread closed before any permanent harm is done.

DM