Question about Military Ranks | FerrariChat

Question about Military Ranks

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by VWH3RD, Nov 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    My best friends brother is becoming a Sergaent Major( I think that is right) in the Marines

I am just wondering if someone can help me with the Marine ranks .

Thanks

2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  3. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Thanks Erik
    Looks pretty impressive!

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah that's what I thought he is def. moving his way up!
    Erik

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Congratulations to him! Unfortunately it doesn't look like he's got any higher to go except Sgt Major of the Corps. How many years service does he have?

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Sergeant Major is not moving up, it is up. That is the highest enlisted rank, and only the top 1% of enlisted make it; something to be very very proud of.
    Unless he becomes an officer, which I would doubt he would at this point, he is at the top rank he will achieve.
    Great job.

7. MarineVette

MarineVette Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    SgtMaj is the highest enlisted rank in the Marine Corp. Throughout the rest of his career, he will just progress in the units that he is the SgtMaj of. For example, he may start out as the SgtMaj of a infantry battalion. Later on he could become the SgtMaj of a regiment, and the highest would be the SgtMaj of the Marine Corp.

Semper Fi

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  9. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Glad I was'nt the only one who didn't know.

What is the difference between enlisted and an Officer? Is it college? Is one a desk Job ?

10. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    its not always a desk job. the higher up the rank scale you go, the more time you'll probably spend behind a desk. but it really depends on what MOS you have. an infantry 2nd LT in the Marine Corps will probably not be behind a desk ever. a logistics 2nd LT will sit there for his entire shift most likely. but that doesnt mean that higher ups dont go in the field on occasion. my best friends dad is a 40-something year old major in the Army and still goes out on Ranger missions in Iraq once in awhile.

the differences between enlisted and officer? responsiblities would be the biggest i suppose. a lance corporal is only responsible for the people in his fire team whereas a 2nd LT is responsible for a much larger group

11. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Enlisted (E0-E4): Operational task level, usually focused on accomplishing a specific skill/job with limited authority and some responsibility

Non-Commisioned Officer or NCO (E5 Sergeants to E9 SGM): More authority. Responsible for day-to-day functions of a unit or organization. Usually is primarily responsible for the direct care and welfare of soldiers (airmen, marines etc) assigned to his/her unit. Incidentally, most senior NCO's I know have at least a college degree and many have a Master's degree.

Officer (2LT-General): Has more authority and responsibility. Primarily responsible for organizational issues at the macro level. Only Officers can be in command and have UCMJ authority. Responsible for overall unit function (works VERY closely with the senior NCO). Then there are the special branches (JAG, Dental, Medical etc) which are all officers with special degrees or skills but do not necessarily command units.

Hope that helps. Kudos to the Marine SGM - that is a hard rank to attain and he must be something special.

12. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Just an observation....if you click on the pay scales (which I assume are monthly figures) you will see exactly how little (editorial) these men and women actually get paid for their service. IMO, the numbers should be much higher, especially in the higher ranks, and more in line to what the going rate is if they were in corporate America......good leaders are hard to come by and worth their weight in gold.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    noticed the same thing myself about the pay, less then the teachers make in most states and possibly the same in others. why oh why do we take the edjucation and wellfare of this nation for granted? little to no pay incentive will begain to haunt this nation sooner than later in these fields.

14. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I think they do deserve more, but remember they can also retire after 20 years and start a second career while collecting a pension and retaining some military benefits (health, PX, etc).

15. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner

The number listed is for Base Pay.
    Military pay also includes a Variable Housing allowance. You get this unless you live on a base. The VHA is also Tax free.

My wife is an O5 in the public health service. (Rank= Navy Captain.)

I can tell you that her net to bank paycheck is still higher than the Base pay number for her rank and years of service (19). So the VHA is a significant part of pay.

16. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    The money is not the juice for most Military types.

On any given day an Air Force Major may fly a mission with 6 or so Nukes in the belly of his jet.

What did YOU do at work today?

17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Yeah, but that's the tip of the spear. Those further back from the point may be less motivated. My brother-in-law just retired after 20 years (AF Captain in medical, so probably O-3, he worked up from E-1) and he would have done so 10 years earlier if it hadn't been for the retirement package.

18. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    would someone please explain the pay scale that is on that site. It seems soooo low.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Per month.

20. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    ooh that changes everything

21. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    To add to the discussion of pay scales, did anyone see/hear the reports this summer of the number of soldiers eligible for food stamps?

According to the Department of Defense (http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jan1997/n01171997_9701173.html)
    there are about 12,000 (.8% of the 1.5 million total men and women in the military ) soldiers eligible for food stamps.

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    That's from this summer? The link path seems to say it's from January 1997.

23. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That was the best DoD article I could find on the subject. The army predicted drops to 6,300 in 1999-2000 and again to 4,000 or lower by 2005, but I haven't found statistics confirming either of the last two figures. At the same time a 1999 DoD study suggested 40% of lower-ranking enlisted soldiers would experience financial difficulties.

24. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I understand Enlisted, NCO's and Officers, but how do Warrant Officer ranks fit in?

25. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Warrant Officers (CW1, CW2 etc) are usually technical experts (helicopter pilots for example) that usually stay within the same technical field for most of thier career. Usually they don't hold command or have UCMJ authority. Rank-wise they are kind of in between NCOs and Commissioned Officers. Valuable members of the team.