Questions about the aircraft used on 9/11/01 | FerrariChat

Questions about the aircraft used on 9/11/01

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, May 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I am not one to believe in conspiracy theories, but I found this interesting video that asks (but doesn't answer) some interesting questions about the aircraft used in the 9/11 attacks, and the phone calls purportedly made from those aircraft.

In particular, the three aircraft that crashed into buildings were all flying well above their sea-level VMO speeds before impact. So why did they not suffer structural failure while still airborne?

Any comment on these questions, particularly from the working pilots on this forum, would be welcome.

2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I didn't watch the video, as I try to avoid conspiracy type theory stuff. However aircraft are built with substantial margin of safety over their published limits. This is particularly true when you are only talking about one time flights. The aircraft would be designed to withstand loads 1.5 times greater than its design limits. In addition beyond that the design is still very conservative as it has to account for an entire fleet of aircraft and the inherent scatter in assembly, tolerances, materials and such that go along with that. Beyond that many parts will have substantially more capability due to the difficulty of analyzing everything perfectly. Finally the loads experienced under VMO are unlikely to be the design driver for most components. All this adds a huge amount of capability to the planes beyond what they are designed for and is one of the reasons why flying is extremely safe.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I honestly don't know how fast they were going, but flying above Vmo is not going to cause structural failure. In fact, as part of certification they are required to go, I think, 10% past Vmo and nothing bad should happen. Now, banking and pulling Gs at those speeds can cause issues, but just going too fast shouldn't cause a big problem. And even going way too fast is likely to result only in the loss of gear doors, or some fairings, or something like that, and I can't imagine those guys were too worried about it.

EDIT: I did a quick bit of google research, and in flight test they actually go substantially beyond 10% past Vmo.

4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is that John Lear on the video? I'm not planning on watching it either.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The video claims that the VMO for a 767-200 is 414 MPH at sea level, and that UA 175 was estimated (based on studying its videos) to be doing 586 MPH at the time of impact, fully 41% above VMO. Granted, it accelerated to that speed and hadn't been flying that fast throughout its approach.

The people on the video, including supposed industry experts, felt that the aircraft should probably have suffered catastrophic flutter before reaching that speed; the claim is that this was not a stock 767, and not even UA 175, but an unmanned aircraft that had been structurally reinforced. I don't claim to believe the video; I'm just reporting on what it said.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That claim has been thoroughly debunked, which you can find if you do a reasonable internet search.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I know how strong Boeing builds airplanes - heck, I worked on the design of the 767 myself - but I always wondered if an aircraft could be flown 150 MPH above VMO, presumably by an amateur and inexperienced pilot, without anything falling off.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    What would you expect to happen at that speed if going in a straight line like it did? It's not like it was doing barrel rolls and turning like a fighter....

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Stuff probably did fall off! So what?

Flying faster than Vmo doesn't require Chuck Yeager skills... you need to be careful not to over-stress the airplane by pulling too many Gs, although if you don't really care about keeping it in one piece, even that isn't all that important.

10. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Warning:
    Tread lightly and try to stay on topic, threads like these can easily devolve into political barking, so let's try not to wake up the ban hammer, alright?

As for the video and topic at hand, I find it very interesting. I will take my speculative statements to P&R tho ;)

donv and aaronrgonz like this.
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The PAA 707 Gander incident illustrated the "failure cushion" in the airframe structure when the airplane was pulled out of a 24,000 ft descent that exceeded Mach 1. The wings reached the yield point and they were permanently "bent" from the pullout. I think that I remember 1 deg of additional dihedral. Amazingly, there were no fuel leaks but the wing to body fairings were compressed to the point where they failed and departed the airplane. Many small access panels blew off. The horizontal stabilizer had to be replaced and when everything else had been inspected and repaired, the airplane was put back into service.

Protouring442 likes this.
  12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Flew for another 25+ years, for several carriers.

Did they fix the dihedral? Ha...

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The video mentioned the China Air 747 that went into a dive after an engine failed and the crew used improper procedures to deal with it. The aircraft lost its MLG doors and part of both horizontal stabilizers but did land safely.

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Island Time likes this.
  15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I saw those two aileron rolls that day and if you place a straightedge along the leading edge in the photo you can detect a slight curvature that indicates a positive load. Just like the Bob Hoover thing of pouring a cup of tea while inverted. The -80 flight engineer said that if your eyes were closed, you would have never known that you were in a roll. 1G all the way around.

paulyp, Bisonte and ralfabco like this.