QV Rear Trunk Cover | Page 2 | FerrariChat

QV Rear Trunk Cover

Discussion in '308/328' started by Labman, Apr 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    there are perfectly redone trunk covers: I changed two and it's very hard to see which are the originals and which are the new ones

ciao

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Judges have discretion but no properly trained judge in the FCA is going to let it go. It is not a huge deduction but would still be a deduction.

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OK. Off it comes and looking for a new one. T Rutlands got back to me but it is not cheap!

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ordered a new cover from i-velocita. I will post pics once the cover is installed. This one looks as close to original as I have seen. For anyone interested in mine that doesn't care about concours correctness, shoot me a PM and I will sell you mine. It's already fitted and ready to install obviously. Just make me an offer :)

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My original - both zippers started failing closing the cover. I did try replacement zippers, but they didn't fly.
    I think I have the same replacement as you. It went on fairly easy and after trimming, I can't be happier.
    Though the replacement has a fold that covers the zipper somewhat. The original the zipper was exposed.

6. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    I bought the T Rutlands cover and replaced my original last week. Followed the process from this Youtube video and it went pretty well

A few observations
    1) The cover from Rutlands seems to be the same as the one in the video. It has some differences from the original -
    * zipper is thinner gauge
    * zipper is a separate piece of fabric that extends all the way to the edge of the trunk gasket (see the bottom left of the picture - the original had no seam from the end of the zipper to the trunk gasket)
    * as others have mentioned, the "grain" of the vinyl is different.
    * the vinyl did come with the latch holes pre-cut and finished. That was very helpful.
    2) In the video, he moved from one side to the opposite side. I found that gave me a diagonal wrinkle. I did it again starting from the middle of the car and working toward each side of the car. One hand pushed down on the gasket while the other pulled the vinyl taut. Then when reaching either side, pulling on the vinyl to get the side taut. That gave me good smoothness.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BLACK HORSE, 48969 and miketuason like this.