Raiders Al Davis Mondial (new owner) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Raiders Al Davis Mondial (new owner)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by RicSinger, Oct 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you Luigi for the info.
    Its good to know

paulchua likes this.
  2. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Good evening gentlemen.
    Just wanted to share and ask for opinions.
    This past weekend I learned about a 1989 Mondial t coupe red / tan in NYC.
    I took a quick flight out from sunny California to cold New York and back in 18 hours. The car was beautiful with tons of service records spare parts Etc.
    Drove the car and was hooked, could not resist and I bought it on the spot so now I have 2 Mondials the 1983 QV and this 1989 t coupe

I would like to hear opinions in regards to if I should sell the 83 or keep it as it is an mazing car however very different than the 89

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks for your comments.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      47.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    I would keep both, but make sure you keep driving them both.
    (Easy saying, but my lovely wife does not allow me to have two Fs. "You can do what you like but first this one out the garage before a other one in" ;-)

paulchua likes this.
  4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    If it is not in the way and money is not an issue. They both drive completely different. If one needs maintenance or you are waiting for a part, which easily can happen you can still enjoy driving in one of them ;) You are surprise how many 3x8 and Mondial owners have two rides only for that reason. I'm looking for another one too, but I promised my GF to first finish the inside of our house. I think I will take a convertible, but who knows.

But who am I to say you need to keep it :)

paulchua likes this.
  5. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Congrats on the tCoupe. Looking forward to hearing more about it and seeing some pics.
    What part of CA are you? North or So.

paulchua likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful and very rare in the states, congratulations!!!

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  7. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I envy your dilemma :)

8. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    But if you’ll ask me one coupe and 1 Cabriolet Mondial , very nice to have in California specially if your based in the Northern part.

9. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thank you for the comment, I will most likely keep both.

10. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Looks like I will be keeping it

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  11. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Thanks, I will post some photos as soon as the car arrives
    I am in San Diego CA

12. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Both are coupes but very different cars.
    Thank you for your and all the comments

13. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    This is pretty awesome, and a testament to how special these cars are. Not one, but two Mondial in your collection! Great stuff.

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The Mondial is (imho) the only Ferrari a normal human being should own for driving around in. Why? First and foremost it has more headroom then a Ford F-150. I can actually wear my cowboy hat inside! Second, it has huge parcel shelves behind the front seats cleverly disguised as passenger seats. In addition, the long wheel base makes handling docile. Not to be ignored is the fact the 3.2QV can actually give a Honda V-6 a healthy run for the money!

Finally, any good shade tree mechanic can fix it. For instance, I scattered a clutch plate and brought the car to my local (N. Georgia Mountains) hot rod mechanic, showed him the DIY printouts, and he did it for 1/2 the price and a better job then Ferrari might have done. [He got all enthusiastic and tracked down exact replacement oil seals etc.] And was VERY complimentary regarding the engine/transaxle casting!] He even offered to replace the cam belts! They did not need replacing but I liked his attitude.

Jeka likes this.
  15. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    After some good seat time in the tCoupe would like to also hear your thoughts about the feel and driver input needed for spirited driving. Thanks.

16. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Sure will, in fact will send a comparison report between the QV and the t

17. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Sure will, in fact will send a comparison report between the QV and the t

18. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I can relate to this "Ferrari Fever" syndrome. As a guy who at one point had 3 F cars (sold all 3 and have 2 different F cars now), I can see how you got to this point. However, while there is some logic to owning different models (even that becomes a chore after a while, you will need a spreadsheet to keep track of what car needs what attention in which month), I don't think owning two cars of the same model is going to continue to provide you with a thrill. If you have the means, better to go up the food chain. In retrospect, I wish I had bought one 246 ...

19. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Congrats on the t coupe purchase! Enjoy and will look forward to hearing your thoughts on the comparison. And welcome to the 1 of 43 club!

20. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Well so finally I received the t, beautiful car, gorgeous lines and red, my first red Ferrari.
    Would like to share a comparison

The t wider body than the QV. and feels like a bigger car
    Because it has ABS, electronic suspension, hydraulic clutch and power steering, the overall feel is of a modern luxury sports car while the QV feels much more raw, the connection between car and driver is much more direct and demanding.
    Both cars are very special in their own way and both are a delight to drive, although both are fitted with Tubi Exhaust and high performance cats the QV has a louder and more aggressive "Ferrari' sound.

The t may will work as an everyday driver while the QV is just to tough for such purpose.
    All in all both are great and my plans have changed, I will be keeping both Mondials and may be selling my 1991 560SEL AMG or my 2002 Porsche Cabriolet.

I haven't had the chance to take more photos but here are a couple
    Thanks to Ken for his help in buying the t, to Steve Maxwell who walk me through the inspection via phone and text San Diego to NYC

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jeka, Roward7 and Allen S. like this.