re-chroming wheel bolts | FerrariChat

re-chroming wheel bolts

Discussion in '308/328' started by jonesdds, Jan 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Given the price to replace my wheel bolts I'm wondering if re-chroming them makes sense. The Hill Engineering bolts are $22 at Ricambi and 8.79 pounds at the Hill sight(the dollars not that weak is it?), so I'm figuring $400 for all 4 wheels +. Anybody had them rechromed and with who? I'm redoing the wheels soon and would like the bolts looking equally as good.

Jeff

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Good question, I have been wondering the same thing.

3. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Paint 'em black

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Why not buy the Hill Eng set and sell your "needs rechroming" set on eBay for something like $150~$200? Probably about the same net cost as the rechroming with less hassle, no downtime, and no risk that the rechroming shop "screws things up" or loses them -- see this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91850

PS Get an Aluminum-lined 6-point 22mm or 7/8" socket from Ozat or Snap-On, etc. to avoid future chipping.

5. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    Funny that this discussion came up. I have been battling this same problem for the past year and decided to re-chrome my bolts. I had seven that needed to be corrected so I decided to take them to a local plater. I just sent them over earlier this week. It cost me $50 to get them done, so it was much cheaper than buying new.

I should get them back by the end of next week so I'll have to set you know how they look.

6. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    "Paint 'em black"

Couldn't do that.

Ebay idea makes some sense but mine are pretty marked up so I wonder what they'd get. I also wonder what rechroming will be able to accomplish for the same reason.

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Make sure your plater understands that these are high strength bolts and must be heat-treated after plating.

The plating process can induce hydrogen into the bolt, resulting in hydrogen embrittlement. I understand there's a pretty std heat treating process to drive the hydrogen out.

Search the Tech Q&A and old Fchat for more specifics, key words: 'bolts' , 'plating' and 'hydrogen' should do it.

Or just search the web for the same key words.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A set, even used, is much more $$$$$ than that, in my experience...

But it's fairly easy to find an electroplater....ask any Harley guy, they'll know! LOL!

You spec the amount, thickness whatever.....good point about the heat treatment, V......

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    GET NEW ONES!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    R. Linsey is right many aftermarket setups are unchromed anyway, and black works...

Valeria paints hers to match her toenails.......:rolleyes:

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    New ones are $65 dollars EACH at the parts counter brudda!

Go ahead, I'll give you my mailing addy, for your old ones.....

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They acid dip before plating to strip it down..........

13. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Paul's Chrome quoted me $10-15 per bolt.

The process to relieve the hydrogen embrittlment is called 23 hour bake. I make bolts for aircraft they get Cadmium plated not chrome but baked after plating. I bet you could perform the 23 hour bake at home (I can get the spec's from my plater). But any certified plater should have the spec's.

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    And hell, you can make some cookies at the same time!

I'll bet my wife would be thrilled about me baking some wheel bolts in the oven for a day! ;)

Birdman

15. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Sounds like your wife is cool!

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    RIGHHHHT if you believe Christine would go for that, I've got a bridge to sell...

OTOH,
    Chris, get me the bake specs.

I have this nice oven in the garage that I use for powdercoating. Baking in it wouldn't be a problem...

Heck, we could even have a bake-off, that oven would hold a heck of a lot of bolt sets...
    ;^)

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    She's a good doober, she would roll her eyes and make jokes about it to my friends later!

Birdman

18. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    had mine done last year by a chrome/restoration place in fall river, ma for $10 ea. jon s.

19. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    Got my bolts back from the plater on Thursday and they look great! Seven bolts for $50 is much better than buying new.

I'm not worried about Hydrogen Embrittlement. Being an Engineering and not knowing about it before this I did some research on-lin. Read about it from several different sources and overall nobody knows for sure how much of an impact entrapped molecular hydrogen affects steel. It depends on the molecular grain structure of the steel in question, any voids it may have due to impurities in the steel, etc. Even then there is no hard fast formulation of the % reduction of shear strength.

Since the plater masked the threads (where most of the tensile [not shear] stress in the bolt will occur), there isn't any way it could get trapped. No chrome, no problem.

20. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well Mike, since you resurrected my thread, I've got some other questions/comments.

I think I'd go with Hill Engineerings bolts before I spent $7+/bolt. Mine all are pretty scuffed up and they wouldn't match unless I did them all. With the possible weakening of the steel still there plus the cost differential I'm thinking no on re-chroming.

What about painting the bolts with the stock wheel color or high gloss silver? With good prep, multiple coats and using a protective lug bolt wrench would they hold up well enough? How best would it be to prep and paint?

Jeff

21. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    I too was worried about the newly chromed bolts not matching the old ones and to tell you the truth, I haven't noticed a difference. Just to keep them consistent, I may end up taking the rest of them in just to keep them all the same. That was suggested by the company that chromed them for me.

I could have gotten them cheaper than $7 per bolt. They charge a minimum lot charge of $50, which had I known that earlier, probably would have just sent them all in the first time. Lesson learned.

I never gave painting them a thought. No matter how bad they looked or were scuffed up, they could strip the old plating, probably tumble them or polish them to get the scratches out, then put a nice thick plate on them.

22. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    had painted lug bolts on my 81 635 bmw - no matter how careful i was the paint always chips an rusts. and at that i still put a baggy in the socket for the chrome plated bolts on the ferrari. jon s.