Rear Brake Caliper adjustment screw replacement? | FerrariChat

Rear Brake Caliper adjustment screw replacement?

Discussion in '308/328' started by BlueMax, Aug 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    #1 BlueMax, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey folks! Just went in to do a brake job and work on adjusting that pesky e-brake on my '79 308. Aside from finding two broken brake pad springs, the inside adjustment screws on the rear brake pads were totally eaten away. No way to get vise-grips on them much less do an adjustment. (This is probably why the e- brake wasn't working in the first place, as I'm sure someone tried to go in and adjust it, stripped the allen-head bolts and called it a day!) I'll have to drill these buggers out of there, I'm sure, but has anyone found a replacement for these?

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #2 Impactco, Aug 23, 2007
    This is just the cover - the adjustment screw is under this cover. You can remove the cover by using a chisel on the circumference or you can slot it with a dremel and use a screwdriver to remove it. You can get a new cover with a more logical outside hex head at Pelican Parts since this is the same caliper as a Porsche 914-6. See here under "caliper plugs":

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/9144/POR_9144_BRKhyd_pg2.htm#item5

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Aug 23, 2007
  4. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Thanks! I didn't realize the one on the back was a cap also. It looked a little more sturdy than the one in the front and was the same size hex-head wrench, so I figured that was the adjustment!

I got one of them off, the other is being a bear.

I know that we can use replacement parts that match the brake pads off an early 70's mercedes or porsche 914, but what about the calipers? In most of the pictures I have seen, it looks like the rear calipers do not have the e-brake arm installed. It would be nice to get a replacement caliper w/o having to pay$400 apiece!

5. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    They are identical to the Porsche 914-6. The 914-4 caliper is similar except the piston is smaller. Sadly, parts and whole calipers for the 914-6 are pretty much NLA.

6. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Well, that stinks.... Unfortunately the retaining pin that is inserted in the caliper and holds back the bottom of the spring for the e-brake snapped off at the base! It sounds like I will have to drill this out and fabricate a pin....

7. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    The rear calipers are the worst chassis pieces by far, Porky Junk.Ive complained to Girodisc since2004 that the rear calipers make their otherwise great upgrade kit pointless because those calipers are THE ONLY part the kit doesnt replace and those calipers are the parts that most need replacement,by the way,that damn ATE rear caliper Fs up on the original VWs with porky power. I collect 100yr old Colts,which are the epitomy of fit and finish and my RR caliper is R&Rd about 5 times and each part is carefully polished and fitted,it works,hopefully for as long as a vortec SC,NOW my LR is locked up solid. 17yrs OK now trouble. I think that the park brake activation gear ratio is not fine enough and the geometry is askew but the 308 rear calipers need an upgraded replacement and I would hope Girodisc will step up to the plate. reg

8. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I've done a few searches and have gotten mixed reviews on White Post Restorations for brake boosters. Has anyone used them for doing their calipers? The more I look the more I realize that the rear calipers for the 308 are pain to find parts for or replace! (unless you want to pay $500+/side!)