Rear shelf removal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rear shelf removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by blu308qv, Feb 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    On my ‘82 308
    Center strap 1
    Left half 1
    Right half 1
    Band around lower curved window 3

All in the engine bay

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Regarding a rattle, it might be caused by the hardware on the fuel line in that area. If that is the case, I would recommend addressing it from underneath, coming in through the wheel well, past the fiberglass intake tube, which has to be removed to get access to the lines. Just a thought.

-F

3. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Thanks but I found them yesterday evening. Not very easy to get to, but that's a known issue on these cars :)

The rattle/resonance must be in/under the shelf not in the engine bay.
    While I was driving, my brother found the exact spot on the shelf where the issue came from by putting/laying his hand on there.
    It was close to the side/quarter window.
    As I did not find anything big, I think it is the aluminium of the shelf resonating with the insulation below the shelf.

I will post some pictures later on, because I am wondering if the shelf and insulation is the original material or if it has been modified in the past.

4. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Perhaps. But my money is on the fuel line which runs in that area. The shelf is typically held down pretty solidly. The fuel lines on the other hand are not always held down tight and they will vibrate as a result.

Let us know either way.

-F

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That would be a good bet !!!

6. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Just speaking from experience. The symptoms described by Harry mirror what I experienced perfectly.

-F

7. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

I will check and fix all possible rattlers that are in there :)
    I know of the fuel lines lines and they are still an option to look into, but I still think it is the shelf or the insulation.

Speaking about that I am wondering if my shelf and insulation is original. I think it is, but when I took of the shelf, I found a block of wood and a metal ring that acted as spacers between insulation and the shelf.
    I thought this was done by a previous owner at first, but it seems that more cars have this and could be from the factory.
    Everything looks and feels like it was the first time it came loose.
    I attach some pictures.

On the third picture with only the insulation on the garage floor you can see the wooden block and the brass ring spacer.

Attached Files:

8. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

And yes I am trying to find some original fabric, because this is the original stuff from 1982/83.
    If anyone here knows where to get this, I would be interested.

9. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    That all looks original. My car too (328 GTB) had wood block spacers to keep everything tight.

In the US, I think that material could be purchased from Reoriginals but I may not have that right.

-F

10. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Thanks to Alberto, I have a contact in Italy that hopefully has the fabric. I will wait for their response first.

11. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I had my rear panel fabric replaced as well by a local shop. 100% match except the fact that it looks newer than the rest of the fabric on the car. Kind of expensive but it was worth it considering the results.

12. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Harry, do you have 3M Dum Dum putty? You will need to use that around the glass and the rubber seals.

-F

13. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

@furmano: Is that to prevent stains from leaks?

My quarter/sidewindows are probably not perfectly watertight.
    I'd prefer not to remove those windows ( I don't like putting a power drill on my car ), so if the 3M Dum Dum putty can help, I am interested.

14. Sly_G

Sly_G Karting

Mar 5, 2015
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Sylvain
    For the ones that already did this operation: for a GTS, do you know how much fabric is needed for the rear shelf and non removable roof parts (not the removable roof)?

Fabric comes in 1.35 meter width and sold by the meter in length. I figure 2 meters would be enough?

Best,

Sylvain

15. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yes, that is to keep the water out. But I see now that you are not removing the windows. So given that, there are not many places you can apply the putty.

You can apply a thin strip of putty between the window rubber and the shelf but most of the waterproofing comes from putty being applied around the rubber window seals when they are out of the car.

-F

16. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Removing the windows is not easy on a GTB sadly, so I'd prefer to keeep them in the car.
    I will try to find any leaks first.

17. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Agreed.

Separately, we always wondered if you could take the rear shelf out without removing the windows. Well, now we know you can. :)

-F

18. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

I am now waiting on a sample of the fabric and if that is correct the fabric itself.
    So it will take some time before I know if the shelf can also be put back without removing the windows. :)

I also want to replace (at least) one of the threads, because it is bent and rusty. I did not find these rectangular plates with thread for sale anywhere yet, so I have to fabricate them.
    But if anyone here knows where to get those, I am interested.

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You don' need to drill the gasket: the body shop just sealed the old window gasket. The new ones are very expensive, you can find them at Cicognani website

Water leaks from the quarter windows are very common on the 208/308/328 GTB

ciao

Alberto

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On the very latest 1989 328, the quarter windows do not have to be removed because they did not use rivets. They learned that. For anything before that change, the windows do have to come out. A 1987 328 needs the window to come out before you can drill the rivets.

ME308 likes this.
  22. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

#47 Harry-SZ, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    I decided to pull the windows so I can hopefully get them leakfree.

I noticed that there is nu dum dum like stuff on the bottom edge. There is only the rubber lining . So that is probably where it is leaking.

Anyone here that exactly knows where to apply the dum dum? And where not to?

Btw: there were 3 rivets on the passenger side. And 4+2 on the drivers/fuel lid side.

23. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Wrap the edges of the glass in dum-dum putty before you put them back into the rubber gaskets. Then wrap the rubber gaskets with dum-dum putty before you put them back into the window sub-frame. Lay a line of putty at the bottom of the gasket where it mates up with the car panel.

You will have to do a little trial and error before you get the right amount of putty around the glass and the gaskets. You want to have enough putty so there is compression between all the parts when everything is installed. But not too much where it makes re-installing impossible.

The rivet count matches up with what I found on my '87 328 GTB.

-F

24. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

So I need to find out, how to disassemble the window from the frame.
    Anybody have pictures or instructions for this?