Rear view Mirror very loose | FerrariChat

Rear view Mirror very loose

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by djs308, Oct 27, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    My (interior) mirror has always been slightly loose. Lately, it seems to be getting worse. There is a lot of play involved when trying to (re)position it. Before I start fiddling with it, is there a screw (that I didn't see) to tighten it up?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I cannot remember how but you can take it off the screen and fix the slack in it, did mine over 20 years ago.

djs308 likes this.
  3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    djs308 likes this.
  4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Mine has a small Allen screw in a deep hole recess in the bottom of the mirror mounting stock.

djs308 likes this.
  5. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I took another look at the mirror. There is in fact a screw that can be accessed in the area circled at the top. However, I think that's just to connect the mirror to the mount on the glass.
    The mirror itself has a ball/socket connection to the mount. The metal "ball" piece has a lot of play within its plastic housing. This seems to be where the problem is. I tried to push firmly on the mirror in case it needs to "snap" back into place, but that didn't do anything.
    Next, I may try removing that screw holding it on the windshield and see if I can get a better look at it.

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Mine was loose, I too thought it was at the ball, but it was the stalk, tightened the screw and all was fine. There is no new mirror available, if you ordered one new you get the 355 mirror, which does not have the detachable stalk. You would need to pry the old glued on glass mount loose, without breaking the windshield and glue the new one on - that look very risky to me, and windshields are becoming very scarce. Before I realized the stalk tightening trick, I in fact mail ordered a new one in the yellow horsey box, and was quite disappointed it was the 355 superceded item.

I could see no way to remove that ball, must be retained with a circlip from inside the mirror, but it did not look like there was a way to remove the mirror without damaging it.

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Use an allen key, I can't recall the size but it is a small, metric key that worked, it is fairly deep up in the hole.

ronfrohock likes this.
  9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Correction, a small flathead screwdriver is required, it is a soft brass screwbolt.