Rear window replacement - experiences? | FerrariChat

Rear window replacement - experiences?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Kasimir, Oct 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kasimir

Kasimir Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Kasimir den Hertog
    There's tons of info on this forum about the rear window and replacing it. I also have some delamination going on in my 348, and unfortunately it looks like a progressive disease...

As is well documented, there is the option of replacing it with a Lexan window, which means no delamination problem, but also no heating and no engraved prancing horse.

If you compare it with getting an original window, the cost works out roughly as:
    - Lexan: $300-$1000, depending on the coating, thickness, options
    - Original window: $3500-$5000

The original window is a big investment. So I would want to be very sure the delamination doesn't creep in again after a few years. However, from what I gather, the delamination is a pretty common issue and there's no guarantee that you don't get it.

I understand that, but what are the actual experiences of those who replaced the window? Did they choose the original, or the Lexan, and why? If going for the original, did it delaminate again? Or might there even be 'tricks' to negate the issue?

Would love to hear some experiences!

2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Can you still get new rear windows? Mines all milky white and nasty looking on bottom, pretty much the only flaw on my car. I thought about maybe just putting a small black stripe of matte black wrap over the bottom of window.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As far as I know they are NLA. You have to get them used or use the lexan type one like the challenge used.

ChoonHound likes this.
  4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Keep in mind that without new production, all of those out there started their delamination countdown years ago.... and as a bonus, are eye-wateringly expensive for something that's already years deep into that countdown.

I ordered the hard-coated 5mm Lexan version from Plastics 4 Performance, on recommendation from Norwood Performance, who takes care of plenty of Challenge cars through the range. Unfortunately, the thick 5mm isn't available both tinted and hardened, so we'll tint it when the other windows are redone again.

5. Kasimir

Kasimir Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Kasimir den Hertog
    Thanks for the replies so far!

Is there anyone (or does anyone know someone) who ordered an original, used or new, as a replacement? Seems rather 'high cost, high risk' if you consider the delamination issue. I don't know exactly how that process works, but if what willrace says is true, and it's a matter of age, then it would be insane not to go for the Lexan. If rather, it's a matter of body flex - like the small paint cracks that can occur near the buttresses - then it might be mitigated by strengthening or using a different kind of glue or something like that.

6. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
  7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Not a matter of body flex, but of age. Temperature extremes/variance is a very small part of it, but not much of a factor, as will be UV exposure from the sun.
    Mine (ex-F355Bob) arrived from a well-cared-for life in Wisconsin with both the windshield and back glass delamination already noticeably present around the edges, so the Texas heat hadn't had a chance to affect it yet.

8. Kasimir

Kasimir Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Kasimir den Hertog
    It's a strange phenomenon, really. My front windshield has slight delamination (a sort of bubbles) in one corner, which hasn't changed in the nearly 3 years since I got her. While the rear window is showing this milky white fog at the curved parts of the bottom edge, and that is slowly moving up. I hadn't noticed the delamination on the rear window until about half a year ago, when I spotted a brownish stain with white edges at the bottom edge. This later turned all white again. So I'm not quite sure how this works, but I agree there's a relation to age, as I saw a low mileage 348 which had it just as much as a high mileage 348.