Reasonably priced liquor brands for cocktails | FerrariChat

Reasonably priced liquor brands for cocktails

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by TheMayor, Dec 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Ten Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't drink but want to stock up on sum stuff for guests

Don't want necessary super cheap even though its going into fruit juice, etc. Good quality for guests but not break the bank stuff. Also stuff I probably could get off shelf going into a well stocked liquor store.

Vodka
    Whisky
    Tequila
    Gin
    Rum

Give me your suggested brands.

2. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Vodka- Titos
    Whisky- Bulleit (assuming bourbon not Scotch)
    > If Scotch then Johnny Walker Black- but Scotch drinkers are VERY picky
    Tequila- Casamigos Reposado
    Gin- Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire
    Rum- Bacardi light / Appleton Dark

Hawkeye, arizonaitalian and TheMayor like this.
  3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Bob. Old Overholt Rye is a tremendous bargain. Bacardi White Label for the rum. It's hard to go wrong with Tito's vodka. Bad gin in really bad, so a bit of an upgrade to Beefeater and Tanqueray. Jim Beam Bourbon is fine. I have no idea on Tequila. I'll let others chime in on the whiskey, but a classic Canadian is Crown Royal. You didn't ask about scotch but Dewar's is solid. Cheers!

TheMayor likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I endorse the recommendations by the two previous posters, although Bombay Sapphire has a particular flavor some people don't care for, regular Bombay or Tanqueray would be preferable.

For whiskey I would recommend Jack Daniels and for dark rum Goslings.

If you need red wine, Thunderbird is the word! :D

5. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Bob...if you need good party wines at a reasonable price let us know.

6. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I still love Stoli for Vodka - But Hangar 1 is not that expensive, so I get that more frequently

Casa Amigos is a great go to for a daily drinking tequila - Anejo of course

I highly recommend that people explore Caipirinhas. Its Brazil's national drink. Easy to make and the liquor Casacha is cheap. Its like a milder version of tequilla (way milder) Its made from Sugar cane vs Rum which is made from molasses. I get the liquor at Total Wine and More Usually about 19 bucks for a bottle

Caipirinha Cocktail Recipe: Brazil's National Drink (thespruceeats.com)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DBomb117, NbyNW and JL350 like this.
  7. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Throwing in my opinion (likely way too late)

Vodka - Belvedere or Chopin
    Whiskey - Old Grand Dad 100
    Tequila - Gran Centenario or Cazadores Repasado
    Gin - Tanqueray
    Rum - Plantation Three Star (White), Appleton Estates (Dark)

If you need mixers:

Dry Vermouth - Lillet Blanc or Dolin Extra Dry
    Sweet Vermouth - Carpano Antica Formula
    Tonic - Fever Tree

JK

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Makers Mark or the previously mentioned Bulleit for bourbon. I don’t buy, drink, or like scotch. o_O
    Tanqueray gin.
    Tito’s vodka, that makes it nearly unanimous. :)
    Maestro Dobel tequila.
    Bacardi rum, always.

9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good point on Bombay Sapphire - it is a "love/hate" thing - Can't go wrong with Tanqueray:cool:

Nospinzone likes this.
  10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    THIS ^^^^ My best friend (closest thing I have to a brother) in Ft Lauderdale is from Brazil and made these for us when were there in August and November - absolutely phenomenal! Follow the recipe and use the right ingredients - not a cocktail you can substitute/skimp on - but when made properly they are amazing!!!

Regarding the Tequila - I fully agree that Casamigos Anejo is incredible - but to me only if you are drinking it neat and sipping it and out of a small snifter or even a small rocks glass. Using it in a mixed drink or doing the typical "salt and lime" shots is a complete waste of the liquor and $$. To me the Casamigos Reposado is still insanely good neat (you can actually taste the white spice) but it is also a great shot and makes a well-made margarita just insanely good. Slightly lower price point as well. Just FWIW.

Cheers :)

DiamondDog likes this.
  11. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Sipping with a snifter and nibbling on a slice of orange dusted with cinnamon as you sip. When guest come over I torch the sugar first then sprinkle the cinnamon on the orange so it brûléd. Or sipping sofrito (i substute Bloody Mary mix and it works) in a separate glass as you sip. The tannins work well with the tequila. The orange is how they drink it in Mexico City and other parts of Mexico do the sofrito back. Again Bloody Mary mix will work just fine.

lime and salt is complete blasphemy.

I encourage everyone to drink Ciahpirhenas. You can use other fruits as well, but I am a purist and only do limes.

Shorn355 likes this.
  12. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Vodka - Tito’s seems to be the popular choice. Otherwise Grey Goose if stepping it up a notch.

Tequila - I can’t drink Casamigos. Used to be a go to but just has a bad flavor to me now. Would recommend Insolito, El Tesoro, Lalo, Cascahuin. Smaller brands but seem to be more and more available and all cheaper than Casamigos.

Whisky - Woodford, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, Angels Envy. I know less about whisky but these were some recent recommendations to me. If you get lucky at the store, Buffalo Trace is a good pick up as well.

13. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Here's a different way of thinking.....have a 'Drink of the Day'.
    Have a satisfactory volume of spirits/mixer of a popular drink....margarita, g&t, ??
    Most guests will be OK with it....this isn't a night long drunk, right?
    For those with different tastes, you'll still have inventory from prior events to satisfy them.

Sent from my SM-A102U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    For vodka I always recommend Khor, it’s a top shelf Ukrainian brand that is becoming more common. It’s $20-25 depending on where you are for a 1.75L and it’s way better than Tito’s. Tito’s is disgusting, has an awful aftertaste.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nurburgringer and DiamondDog like this.
  15. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    For whiskey there are a lot of options depending on what type you’re looking for, Bulleit and Knob creek have rye and bourbon handles. Jack Daniels is always a solid choice, the rye variant in particular is good by itself or in a mixed drink. For scotch glenmorangie 10 yr is reasonably priced for a single malt handle. Some of the Japanese whiskeys like Hatozaki and Kurayoshi are very good, but they are usually fifths and somewhat pricey.

16. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    If you're mixing it, who cares?

Nurburgringer and stever like this.
  17. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    largely true, but having a plastic handle of Popov's on the counter of a swanky Vegas pad just wouldn't be right :)

FWIW Houston liquor store employees pretty much universally say Tito's isn't worth the money (kindly put).
    They have a great marketing dept and the "Made in Austin" part is trendy but those who should know always steer me to other local brands, or I go for Smirnoff or Russian Standard (if that doesn't bother you).
    I'm going to look for Khor's, mentioned above.

For gin I like good old Gordon's. May not impress the guests but does have an "old school cool" factor and it's good enough for James Bond.

For other old-school choices: Cutty Sark and/or Famous Grouse scotch, Pusser's Navy Strength Rum, Sazerac Rye, Seagram's Seven, Jim Beam bourbon, (I had a baaad experience with Jack Daniel's as a much stupider youth, can't stand it since), Hennessy cognac, Jaegermeister and/or Limoncello (digestivo). creme de menthe & creme de cacao (with heavy creme for classic Grasshopper cocktail), Sauza Silver (mixing) and gold (shots) tequila, dry (Martinis) and sweet (Manhattans) vermouth, bitters (old fashioned, Sazerac cocktail, etc)

18. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Might get some flak for this, but try it... Canadian whiskey: "rich and rare reserve" its like $20.
    Mix it, or drink it straight up neat.
    Ive found I like it better that any other whiskey, regardless of price.

Nurburgringer likes this.
  19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Corralejo Tequila.

20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    People will care the next day when they wake up. Spending an extra 10 or 15 bucks can make a big difference.

21. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    We must go to the same liquor store. Owner of mine recommended R&R, and agree its quite good.
    Haven't tried the Khor yet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    So Bob after all this, what's your bar stocked with?
    Given your Rat-Pack style, I hope you went old school. Classic booze brands, mid century cocktail cart, shaker, gold-rimmed rocks glasses, the works.
    And no Tito's ;)

Enjoying a Sazerac rye Manhatten myself right now.

Cheers! Image Unavailable, Please Login