Rebuilding a Dinoplex AEC103A | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Rebuilding a Dinoplex AEC103A

Discussion in '206/246' started by alhbln, Mar 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I understand completely. Saltellamenti = spark scatter or as we would have referred to it as 'point bounce' which cause changes in the ignition timing at higher rpms.

Perhaps you have the opportunity to drive your car in a more 'spirited' way than I can but I have yet to feel a high rpm misfire or loss of performance with the single point set.

2. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    #102 marianosciacca, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Sir(s),
    These are other photos of my problems and of my car.
    I in the meantime removed the original Marelli MT 42 E starter and I placed a Powerlite RAC436 (NipponDenso) performed modified Starter more light.
    The other photos are related to the parts for Lumenition optical pick up conversion.
    But I am not able to perform this complex fine work.
    I bought the OS 50 and the Fitting Kit 124 Lumenition, from Merlin Motors UK.
    And material is under way from England
    I am afraid to be not able ...but I love my car Dino Ferrari Lancia Stratos
    Kind regards all To You
    merry wishes from Pantelleria
    mariano
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #103 alhbln, Dec 28, 2012
    Hello Mariano,

i am assuming you mean the installation of the OS 50 Optical Pickup in the S125 distributor, correct?

Here are the steps:

1. Remove the rotor, capacitor, oil felt holder and points setup from the distributor
    2. Get the distributor cap and mark the position of the inside cylinder #3 terminal on the outside with a bit of tape
    3. Put the distributor cap on the distributor and copy the position of the tape to the distributor body. Remove the distributor cap.
    4. Take one of the half round mounting plates of the original points setup and produce an aluminum plate in the same shape but with a height of 6 mm, this will be used to install the OS50 pickup in the S125 distributor (see photo)
    5. Push the trigger wheel supplied in the FK package on the camshaft, adjust the height of the trigger ring by comparing it with the optical pickup and baseplate, it should be exactly in the middle vertically between the two lenses and the blade should fully cover the lens.
    6. Install the OS50 sensor using the new baseplate and two of the existing points holes, make sure that the rotor fully covers the lens (e.g. reaches far enough into the OS50 pickup). Guide the OS50 wires through the nearest terminal hole and install the supplied connector.
    7. Install the rotor, and align the rotor so that (when seen from the top) 2-3 mm of the left (trailing, rotor turns ccw) edge of the rotor blade are in line with the tape applied in step #3. Keep the axle/rotor in this position for the next steps.
    8. With the Bosch converted AEC103 ignition, connect a standard auto 12V bulb instead of a coil, the OS50 pickup and a +12V source. Now while keeping the axle fixed in position from step #7, slowly turn the trigger wheel on the axle counterclockwise*. Stop turning the trigger wheel as soon as the bulb goes out. Release the axle and slowly rotate it counterclockwise to check that the light goes out every time the rotor passes the pickup, then glue the trigger wheel in place using black window sealer (black silicone).

*If the rotor has limited movement, you can also move the mounting plate using the screw slots for adjustment.

Presto! When reinstalling the distributor, set it up for a 10º static advance.

Good luck,
    Adrian

Kiss likes this.
  4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Very nice photos, and a very original Stratos down to the Cavis wires!
    The distributor with the red cap is interesting, could you send me a photo of the red label for my archive?

Best,
    Adrian

5. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    #105 marianosciacca, Dec 28, 2012
  6. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    Dear Sir,
    thank You, I am obliged very much for Your kindness, but I am not able to perform the timing.
    I have several questions now:
    I ordered from UK Merlin the FK124 do You now this Kit?
    When I wll dismantle the S125C from engine, I think not able to reinstall and make the TIMING correcltly.
    Is it possible see a Tutorial?
    Is possible mount the OS50 in the S125BX?
    I am very confuse excuse me.
    Also I dont understand where apply the black silicone
    I must remove the Bearing of S125 axle by an extractor?
    Also when the parts Lumenition will arrive from Merlin UK, I will post You other questions.
    My problems will be little more clear..but very HARD!!!!!
    God Morning Ser
    Yours fan
    mariano

7. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    Thank You kind, Is correct and possible real Your misfire with single points set!
    Now I have, in my Stratos, the S125C, with only the R1 set.
    Go fine, but I do not have Instruments to perform, and to control the Timing correctly!
    Also an other problem.
    In Italy the petrol is "low" ottane, and the my Stratos was born for Lead Petrol.......
    Plenty problems........
    Thanks God Luck
    mariano

8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    This is already quite helpful, thank you! Do you remember where and when you purchased the distributor? It looks like a never used spare, excellent condition.

9. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #109 alhbln, Dec 29, 2012
    With performing the timing you mean setting the static advance after reinstalling the distributor? This is easy to do, you need a timing light (an Equus 3551 as example), which you connect to the battery and to the to spark wire #3 using the ignition wire clamp. Then you point the timing light at the balancer wheel, and compare the position of the notch in the balancer wheel with the degree plate (see Stratos technical manual 2.1.75, page 1), the left most marking on the degree plate is the 10º setting. If the balancer notch is hard to see, apply a bit of white color (Tipp-Ex works great).

1. Reinstall the distributor, tighten the nuts a bit, but only so far that you can still turn the distributor by hand.
    2. Start the engine (if it won't start or keep running, turn the distributor to a position where it keeps running)
    3. Gently turn the distributor until you end a position where the notch in the balancer wheel is aligned with the 10º marking on the degree plate.
    4. Stop the engine and tighten the three distributor nuts.

Yes, this kit contains the recommended chopper wheel for the S125 conversion.

Yes, see above.

Yes, no problem, see my posting #130 above. If you don't want to do this on your own, send me an email to the mail address on my website.

The black silicone is used to glue the chopper wheel from kit F124 to the distributor cam (see photo).

Yes, the upper bearing must be temporarily removed for the chopper wheel installation.

Sure, no problem!

Best,
    Adrian

10. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    I purchased this from Rene' Richner, Switzerland,..........but "very Expensive"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......
    Now I am in trouble for the above mentioned operations..........
    Yours fan
    mariano

11. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    #111 marianosciacca, Dec 29, 2012
    Excuse me..
    the page of the technical manual is it This?
    thank

12. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #112 alhbln, Dec 29, 2012
    I probably have a different manual version, i've attached the page showing the balancer and degree plate below. 'd' is the notch in the balancer, and 'a' is the 10º marking on the degree plate you need to compare with the timing light.

13. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    #113 marianosciacca, Dec 29, 2012
    Yes I have these pages but.
    I controlled the Engine timing as stated in one of the attached shets, , by a simple Bulb 12Volts. Is OK.
    BUT I think will be very complex the timing by the strobolamp. VIA the Distributor.
    I have only one set of points
    Also in Italy now the Fuel is low in Octane.
    What's the correct timing via the distributor?
    I am confuse!!!!!!!!
    ALSO:
    I have the heat sink genuine Bosch 0 221 600 008
    as the attached photos, I will wish mount with the coil Bosch as You see in the my previous posts
    Shoud be Fine, because is near the Distributor..and with the Bosch controller mounted in the same heat sink.
    Very Nice....
    You Think?
    regards
    mariano

14. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    You can also do this set up with the bulb: in the Bosch setup you would connect the bulb instead of the ignition coil and set up the timing until the bulb goes *out* (in the manual approach, the bulb goes on).

Not a problem, the fuel quality nowadays, even in low octane 90-95, is much better than at the time the engine was build. I recommend to set 10º static advance for the Dino V6.

That should work, I would make the heat even a bit larger if you have the space.

Why not build the Bosch module in your Superformance AEC103 enclosure instead? Looks even more original.

Best,
    Adrian

15. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    Adrian kind I reply to Your Correct advise to install the Bosch module in a Box AEC103 A
    a) i do not have box AEC103 A wide suitable
    b) The box AEC 103 A is too big and should be fitted in the left side of the engine box of the stratos and from she are travelling about 2 meters of Cables, arriving to Coil fitted in the right side of the engine box.
    c) The Bosch module permit a better performed fitting and can be fitted in the right side of the engine compartment, near 20centimeters from distributor and exactly attached to coil!
    is the best fitting possible, about.
    d)In case of control, I can refit the original AEC103A equipment set...
    yours fan
    mariano

16. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    It should be no problem to install the Bosch module on a heat sink below the coil, i was just thinking that it would look more original if you install it in the AEC103 enclosure. Both ways work without problem.

17. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    Yes! as I already stated in my previous reply Your Advise Is very Correct!
    But, because I dont think to sell the car I do not give great importance to the originality
    Yours Gratefull Fan,
    mariano

18. VicJano

VicJano Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    Kingston upon Thames
    Full Name:
    Chris O'Connor
    Adrian,
    I'm not great on auto electrics but am I right to think that if I used the Ignitor module, I wouldn't need the Bosch ignition controller, since the Ignitor has it built in?
    Chris

19. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    Dear Adrian,
    in my Stratos
    I am using two spark plug types:
    Champion N60Y genuine recommended from factory
    and
    Champion N2G
    The Champion N2G help starting.
    But I think is not recommended for hygh revolutions (race the engine)
    What's Your experience?
    But the Engine Stratos Lancia is little different from DINO FERRARI 246 Genuine, because has the Carburettors WEBER 40 IDF 28 (2), and 29(1)
    The 40IDF29 is positioned over the 1st and 4th cylynder.
    What's Your deduction and advise?
    Regards,
    mariano

20. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    Dear Sir Davjeki,
    please excuse my question!
    Why You in this Your Tutorial to fitting the OS50 Lumenition Optical PickUP, Stated tickness of Points' Base Plate 3mm?, and in the contrary, ADRIAN in His Tutorials States the Points' Base Plate Should Be 6mm tickness?
    Gratefull in advance,
    saluti,
    mariano sciacca

21. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    We used different trigger wheels, the one i use is mounted at the upper end of the cam, so the mounting plate for the optical pickup needs to be a bit higher.

22. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    It depends on the ignition type you are using. The HF Stradale engine can use the same type of plugs as the 246 (NGK BPR ES for Dinoplex/MSD or NGK BP EVX/EIX for transistor ignitions). Only the Stratos Group 4 and 5 require different types of plugs.

23. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Mariano, 3mm Is close to the original points base plate thickness and sits nicely on the distributor casting. Its also rigid enough to provide a solid mount. However, the exact thickness is not that critical. As Adrian says, what is important is that the chopper ( the 6 spinning paddles) passes close to the centre of the optical transmitter and eye, so it splits the beam, but does not collide with the sensor. You could increase the height of the sensor package with spacers such as washers if plate thinner than 3mm. Best to dry run with the chopper to find the best mounting set up. If you use the parts I used, it should fit ok.
    Kevin

24. marianosciacca

Dec 20, 2012
    Do You have experience with the Champion UN 19 V ?
    I seen this sp in the Dino Ferrari 246 genuine Service Manual.
    But I never used
    NOW I have a GENUINE AEC 103 A set as You see in my previous photos with the Coil Magneti Marelli BZR 206 A and Champion N2G
    Do You think is not danger by this N2G sp??
    cordiali saluti from Pantelleria island...........

25. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Sorry, i don't have first hand experience with Champion plugs, i use NGK plugs all of the time.

The AEC103 in your photo (posting #100) is a replica transistor ignition sold by Superformance, i recommend using NGK EIX plugs with this setup for best results.

Best regards,
    Adrian