recommendation for windshield replacement | FerrariChat

recommendation for windshield replacement

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Da Hapa, Aug 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    Hi guys -

I was the lucky recipient of a rock the size of a small planetoid on the 241 toll road yesterday that left a monster crack in my front windscreen. The good news is that it wasn't the Porsche or the Audi and it was the "beater". The bad news is that I'm certain the windscreen has to be replaced.

The car is a 1997 Lexus LS400 and I don't want to take it to the dealer to pay a grand for a windscreen but I've never had to replace a windshield and don't even know where to begin. An online search produces dozens and dozens of vendors but I'd prefer to find someone who is recommended and can be trusted to not leave me with crap glass or leaks.

I'm located in Dana Point but work in Irvine.

Any tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. RoadRacer

RoadRacer Formula Junior

May 7, 2006
    SoCal / SoFla
    Full Name:
    Griff W
    I previously had to have the windshields on my BMW 3 and a Mini Cooper replaced for the same reason. Safelite did a great job, came to my office, and I'd use them again. I actually went through my insurance company, since in FL insurers are required to offer windshield replacement without affecting premiums. I think insurers also negotiate reduced cost with certain companies based on volume, so you might check on that as well.

Good luck.

3. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree with the above.

4. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    thanks guys. I'll check 'em out.

5. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    +1

6. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    found a local guy who is a lifelong friend of a co-worker. He's insured, bonded, etc. and registered with the BBB. He's cheaper than Safelite and coming to my office here in Irvine this morning. I'll let you guys know how it works out.