Reflections on Jimmie Johnson's First Season in IndyCar | FerrariChat

Reflections on Jimmie Johnson's First Season in IndyCar

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by dave80gtsi, Sep 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Looking back now that the season is over, how do y'all think he did?

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Like a duck out of water.

kylec likes this.
  3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he did about as well in Indycar as Franchitti did in NASCAR (better, maybe, since Franchitti didn't finish the season)

but...JJ brought far more *to* IndyCar, in sponsorship, and visibility.

there are a few guys who are wasting seats in IndyCar (Jones, Chilton, Kellett, Ferruci when he runs), I don't think JJ is wasting that seat, even if he's not as competitive as he should be in a Ganassi car.

kylec likes this.
  4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I read an interview with JJ where he said in Indycar, braking, especially late in the braking zone is all important. That's where time is found. That's because Indycars have so much drag they reach terminal velocity quickly, so getting on the gas as quick as possible isn't as important as in NASCAR; their weight means a speed advantage coming out of a corner helps all the way down the straight. That's the 'classic' apparently old school thinking.
    So, different disciplines need opposite driving styles. I guess it speaks to the competitive parity at the sharp end of all racing.

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I expected him to do better than he did.

rdefabri likes this.
  6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I think he also helped to show just how good the regular Indycar drivers are. I think it would have been worse for the sport if he would have immediately been up to speed and fighting for wins.

Start of the year he was a moving chicane. You could see his improvement throughout the year.

Dogdish and GuyIncognito like this.
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he went from spinning multiple times a weekend and being 3-4 seconds off pace to having fewer unforced errors and being 1-2 seconds off (and in some cases, faster than other guys at the back of the field). so, progress.

ForzaV12 likes this.