Registering a car in another state | FerrariChat

Registering a car in another state

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Thought I would share my info on registering in another state in order to solve emissions issues or modifications that will cause a car to fail in your local area. For me it was because I wanted to reg my off road motorcycle and they simply do not allow that in Oregon. So, they solve this by registering the vehicle in South Dakota. If you call their DMV up, they will walk you through the process and gladly take your money. You will then receive SD plates and the address on the registration will be your house in California or where ever you are that you’re having trouble. So I’ve done this on one bike and one car now. The down side is that you will have to pay sales tax but in most cases that would’ve been true anyway if this is a recent purchase. In Oregon we didn’t have sales tax so for me it was a few hundred bucks but worth it to be able to enjoy my dirt bike around my neighborhood.
    If you have modified your vehicle or if you just can’t pass emissions, this is a way to get “legal” or at least legal ish.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  2. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Won't you get a ticket if you get stopped by cops in Oregon driving an out of state vehicle registered in your name as Oregon resident? I believe California law requires registration of vehicles owned and operated by California residents within10 days of entry into California or something like that. Don't know if Oregon laws have similar requirements.

3. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    The law I believe you are referencing is changing your address on your car registration to be correct within 30 days and mine is all lined up, no problem there. Only thing i can think of that might foul it up is some sort of general fraud but that’s getting above most cops pay grade so I’m not worried. They look at the reg, look at my license, name and address match.

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Some guys might maintain a state license with no smog that matches a vehicles plates. ;-)

The real "cooking with gas" would be for someone that could figure out a low hassle way to get and maintain a Montana drivers license and then their vehicle(s) with Montana plates.....maybe their daily driver is registered to their wife with CA drivers license and address? It seems ridiculous but with so many owners here that have cars that are a royal pain to meet smog, at some point a "entrepreneur" forum member that already lives in Montana, could set up a business that could coordinate Montana LLC's and drivers licenses.

@root when I read the thread where the "regulars" were trouble shooting with @ferraridriver on his historical smog hassles, I felt for him (what a pain)..... its really good of him to do the right thing and do all the trouble shooting. Seems ridiculous that CA doesn't have an exclusion for cars that don't get much use (some states have historic plates for that).

If my car was that big a hassle to get into smog compliance, I would definitely be interested in a work around for a "low use" vehicle.

5. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Eric,

Saw that thread. Painful read.

I believe California has what's known as "referee program" which can exempt, as far as smog requirements are concerned, historical, collectable, or "special interest" cars that are not used primarily for transportation purposes. I believe our 550 or 575 qualify as "special interest" vehicles as defined under the referee program which considers vehicles with less than 2,000 sold in California as special interest vehicles provided they are not used primarily for transportation and have not been altered from the manufacturer's original specifications. [Vehicle code §5051(b)]

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @root that was great info and I was not aware of the referee situation.

found this https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Referee_Program/Collector_Cars.aspx

Has to be 25 years old (we are pretty close on the early 550’s) but the inspection means they have to be unaltered....and not to be too indelicate..... but I’ve had WAY too many sweaty dreams about Fabio’s full set up! ;-)

Cats are for “good law abiding citizens” and I’m looking to be at least “slightly rowdy” ;-)

7. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    The vehicle needs not be 25 years old to meet the "special interest" classification. All it needs to be is of some significance with less than 2,000 sold in California for the model year, which I think is a very low bar. Daily drivers, gray market, and altered vehicles don't qualify. Don't know if the unaltered determination needs to be demonstrated annually to meet the special interest classification. If not then, you may be able to get Fabio's setup after you get the special interest classification.

8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @root and your contribution is again another fantastic example of why this space is so wonderful.

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would suggest a call to the DMV referee station for verification

To find a referee center near you or to schedule an appointment, visit asktheref.org or call (800) 622-7733

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can quote the NHSTA for total numbers imported per year to the US, which are way less than 2000, at least for 97 and 00 MYs of 550. Plus total production was only 3083 for all countries for 1996-2001.

11. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    You guys have me thinking about my registration on the 456. I haven’t transferred it yet to my name, was planning on doing regular emissions test since I have no CEL and she’s running pretty good, but I looked up special interest plates in Oregon and it seems the only prerequisite is being 25 years old which my car is now. And that would be the end of tags and deq. I think I’ll go that route.

12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @Salami im also going to send you a PM or in parlance here a “conversation”.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    While this post is well meaning this kind of side step should not be posted on public forums. Loopholes get plugged when the hole pluggers figure it out. In cali my statement is so true in the war for your guns. The loss of Cali resident's gun rights are accelerated by "how to" legally sidestep the law. Cali then enacts a new law to to tighten the noose "end goal" of taking your guns away. Rapid internet information has been a blessing and a curse.

And....a 550 should pas cali smog with zero issues. Maybe you should fix your car? Falling outside of emissions can actually damage other stuff in your motor.

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #14 Ferrari55whoa, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    @fatbillybob agreed.

Good news for @Salami is he saves lower taxes by just following the oregon rules and using the historic plate setup.

it was the PITA that @ferraridriver underwent historically that sparked the conversation. @ferraridriver in his instance did the right thing on every level in CA by doing a bunch of trouble shooting and the related hassle, and he was 100 percent above board in how he handled his situation.

Just stinks for those in California that for cars used infrequently (even if modified) there seems to not be a reasonable smog exclusion.

A 550, as an example, in CA, even with a referee, I don’t think would pass if it had fabio’s 6-1 setup as an example. And that’s a shame.

Regarding gun laws.....I was at the range this week with a buddy (he is a CA resident) and he brought a sporting rifle and educated me (allegedly) that his “grandfathered” rifle still required a push tool to disengage the magazine but (allegedly) the new ruling is you have to partially disassemble now to release and reload? That situation definitely continues to get more complicated/restrictive for law abiding CA citizens.

15. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No, it will not pass if the smog tech actually inspects the car as it is illegal to modify ANY component of the exhaust system. That means you can't even put on his beautiful tail pipe ends legally.

Good thing is most smog techs have no idea of what their looking at or for with a Ferrari.

I got challenged for having an EGT gauge added on my 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 turbo diesel.

Plus I have it on fairly good authority that Fabio's system will cause a CEL on a 550

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- It does not cause one on my 575M.

17. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #17 Ferrari55whoa, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Dave that EGT is amazing since it’s an added safety factor and I guess a good example of how, in California you have to take the good with the bad.

@fatbillybob just anecdotally.....I don’t really know if this is true but another guy I know who lives in Kern County said years ago they had a plan where (without penalty or questions of any kind) residents could surrender large capacity Mags....and this guy alleged that kern county is very well “outfitted” and yet had one of the lowest rates of surrendering.

Oh and not to thread hijack completely but my cousin Melanie, originally from Iowa and her husband are California hippies and when I asked the husband (who I really like) how you are going to protect my cousin and little nieces (under a “bad situation”) he noted he had that 5 gallon dry food bucket from Costco and a baseball bat....so I assumed no one except the bad guys in CA had guns anyway? ;-)

Salami likes this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Taz, I know you said no video forthcoming but, wow I would love to see/hear you taking a rip and giving it the beans!

19. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I agree with the statement about public posting on such a “loophole” issue, however what I’m seeing is a trend of smog requirements going away, as Washington has recently given up all testing. They found that they were not failing enough vehicles to warrant the testing systems and staff, so we will likely see that happen state by state across the land soon, so this could be a stop gap for vehicles that don’t have another option. For my 456 I wasn’t planning to do the SD thing, I only have that knowledge because my state is particularly obnoxious about motorcycles so I had to do it that way for one of my bikes, or else not ever ride my dirt bike on the street. And then I did my Jeep as well because I have modified it and I don’t know that it would pass (it’s a diesel and has been strangled to death with silly complications that I don’t think help the environment one bit, and in fact cost about 20% more fuel to run them) It might, and I may try in the future, but for now it sports SD plates.

20. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Always an interesting debate, however if you go by the statistics, they are safer not having guns in the House than they are if they were armed. This is due to accidents, negligence, and children’s curiosity. Now, myself, I’d be armed, but I’m aware of the risks and don’t see myself as part of those stats.

21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That is exactly what Melanie said and is the reason they are a no gun household.
    My buddy Jimmy has a 2 year old and he said his son won’t know he has guns in the house till he is 18.

22. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #22 root, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    That's what my dad thought, but by the ripe age of 12-13 I found his gun and the 100 rounds that came with it. I believe I handled his gun more than he did even though I was more interested in experimenting with sticking screw drivers in 220V outlets and getting shocked many times, melting lead on the stove in bottle caps to make interesting casts, coating kite threads with fine glass to cut the lines of other kites (kite dogfights), and playing with mercury.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's awesome!

Full disclosure I spent a considerable amount of time growing up on family farms in Iowa and Minnesota and I'm sure the first time my dad and uncle let me fire a 30-06 and laugh when it planted me on my rear end, I couldn't have been 10 years old. I'm also not embarassed to say my wife is actually more proficient with our handguns than I am (I probably hold the upperhand with the 12-ga but she is a crackshot).

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nobody has heard of gun safes? Mine are in one.

Salami likes this.
  25. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Gun safes are extremely dangerous. When my parents gave me the family colt (I’m the fifth in the family line to own it) I decided I needed a safe to put it in. Well, it looked so lonely in that safe with all that extra space around it I ended up blowing a lot of cash filling it up!