Registering a Ferrari in a small town | FerrariChat

Registering a Ferrari in a small town

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by bearduke1, Oct 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bearduke1

bearduke1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2004
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bubba Joe
    OK, picture this. I'm so proud that I now have my "new to me" 308GTSi and I'm at DMV getting plates/new title in a small MS town where I live. Lady shouts to her coworker "Hey how many cyls does an "82 Ferrari have"? Coworker quickly replies "Probably Four, I don't think Pontiac was ever able to fit a six in a Fiero..."

It made me chuckle as I gave them the number "eight" and clarified it's a "Ferrari not a Fiero".

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    EXACTLY the same confusion at my Credit Union as they typed the papers..

"My son's friend has one of these Fieros'....why is this one so expensive?"

"Leather interior" I replied, as I signed for $25,000.00.

I noticed later they had mispelled 'Ferrari' anyway!!!!!!

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They did actually put a six into the Fiero............LOL!

That didn't make it a Dino.......

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the real fun is getting a car with a vin like *23785* or *20433* registered and tagged. they have a fit, and the Atlanta DMV has a fit when the vin numbers are not "standard". they have to print the titles by hand, ie the computer software rejects the vin info and it has to be manually done for older / unique vin's.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ROTFLMAO...! That's classic...!

Hey, Mike, if it's an '82, it's got a full 17-digit VIN...

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    V8's fit in them as well.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, they insisited for THREE DAYS I was driving a "Farm Implement Trailer".......WTF???????

It was outside at the curb, but THAT was of no help........

I left downtown Houston, dejected, driving my "Farm Implement Trailer".....

Three days later the Supervisor, after calling the Police Department and TX DOT, said "Hit 'Overide' and sell the guy some plates.." LOL!

8. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    I had a time registering my 308. When I went to the tax office in Hattiesburg, they told me that 23825 was already used for a trailer and they could register it as STC23825 and send me a new vin plate. STC for state tax commision. That wasn't going to fly. I had to go to the state police and had them verify the stamped in vin number. I went back with a statement from them that the full number was F106AS23825. Jackson kicked it back because the FL title didn't match. I had to apply for a revised FL title and then send it all in. This took a couple of months. Finially able to get the car titled and registered. Of all the cars I could have bought, my luck I would have a trailer in MS with my chassis number!

9. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    LOL! I even had a problem with mine in Birmingham, due to the fact it was a Euro 308 (gray market). Thank God I had a friend working in the DMV who was able to hand walk it through the maze of paper work.

10. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Reading this thread, I was worried about titling my 360 in Pascagoula. I saw a recent Texas thread where they said they didn't even have Ferrari in the tax database there, so I figured Mississippi sure wouldn't! I handed the clerk all the paperwork and she asked what kind of car it was. I told her "Ferrari" and she said that's what she thought, but just wanted to make sure since they don't see many of them.

Sure enough, it pulled right up and even showed a correct MSRP of $136,425 and an unladen weight of 3,064 lbs. All in all, great news for anyone looking to title a Ferrari in Mississippi!

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That may be because there was once an authorized dealer in Jackson...

12. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Yep, I sure do miss Ferrari South. I saw my first Ferrari there in January 1987, a red Testarossa being picked up by local doctor, Roger Collins. He, Ed, and Dick were all so accommodating to a star-struck 18 year old!

FastLapp likes this.