News

Remembering a strange Ferrari in Rochester, NY

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Back in the 70's, there was supposedly a rather odd 2 + 2 in Rochester, NY, belonging to a professor at the Eastman School of Music. A distinctive feature of the car was some sort of wicker type inlay on the outside of the doors. It was even said to have been a show car.
    Around 1975, I got a tip that the car was sold to the owner of a local store but I could not ascertain the real fact.
    For what it's worth, there were around 30 12-cylinder cars in that area in the mid 70's but this particular one never showed.
    So, truth or urban legend??????????????????
    Bob Z.

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Bob: I went to UR from '70-'73 (took Senior year in absentia in '74 to start law school) and thought I knew every weird car in town back then, but this doesn't ring a bell. Most of the strange stuff in town in that era was British, like my Marcos 3L, Mrs. Wegman's Europa TC, that Boss 302 TVR Tuscan, etc, but maybe I missed something in all that snow.

3. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I never saw the car and I was at U of R from 85 to 88.
    Many alums here.

4. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Ira. I lived in Rochester from 1965 to 1989 and you would not believe all the unique cars I saw in the general area through the years. To name a few: A Lotus Europa driven by a stunning blond, around 5'10"! - there were actually quite a few Loti in the area. A red Maserati with a Ford V-8 in it. A prof (Wendell Castle) at my school, RIT drove around in a black MGTC. A 4-cam Carrera (stolen), and many 356 Porsches. A few Maserati Sebrings and Biturbos, many FIATs and ALFAs, too many Lamborghinis, a MATRA, a SIATA, a Turbocharged Studebaker GT, more 2-stroke SAABs than I could count, a Jensen and on and on!!!
    Regarding Ferraris, there were at least two 250 GT 2+2, a green, really beat 275 GTB short nose, a silver 275 GTS (Doc States) , two silver and one green 330 GT 2+2, two 365 GT 2+2, two 250 GTOs, a 312P, a bunch of 246 DINO GTB & GTS, many 308 & 328, the 412 MI, the original DINO 206 GT (longintudinal engine), many Testarossas, two 365 GTB/4, one GTS/4, one 400A, one of the prototype Daytonas with the 275 4-cam engine, an aluminum body 275 GTB, the gold California Spyder (originally owned by Bob Publiker), the (mystery?) 2+2, two 330 GTCs, a 365 GTS, and I'm sure many cars that I did not see!
    Bob Zambelli

5. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Frankly, Bob, all I remember from my brief 3-year tenure in Rochester was a lot of wind and snow! I distinctly recall my Marcos being completely buried more than once, although admittedly that was a pretty low car. I fled at my first opportunity and came back home (Baltimore) for law school. Maybe I spent too much time below ground in all those tunnels beneath the UR River campus!