Remote battery terminals for 3.2 Mondial? | FerrariChat

Remote battery terminals for 3.2 Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Apr 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #1 Alden, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    I have two toy cars: A Jag and my Mondial, but, after downsizing from a 3 1/2 car garage to a one car, I cannot store both at home.

Usually the Mondial resides at home, hooked up to a CTEK battery charger/maintainer, while the Jag is in my storage unit, hooked up to a Schumacher solar battery mainter.

Due to circumstances out of my control, when I left home in December to start a construction project in another state, the Mondial ended up in remote storage, hooked up to the solar charger with the battery disconnect in the "off" position. I did not intend to be gone this long.

When I tried to fire her up today, nada, not a whimper, and my amperage gauge plugged into the cigarette lighter was reading 4.0 volts. (BTW, get one of these amp gauges, they are cheap and give you info you won't get from any OEM gauges on the Mondial.)

So, since my storage unit is connected to a repair shop that works on classic cars, the owner offered me a jump start.

Getting the jump clamp on the positive terminal was a nightmare: It is almost impossible to see, so you have to "feel" for it to get the clamp on. Negative was easy: Just hooked up to the connection at the battery disconnect switch.

Between the two of us, (and thanks to info from the cig lighter amp gauge to know when we were "connected,") we got her started. Ran a bit rough at first, but a fresh tank of Shell Premium and she smoothed out and purred perfectly.

Question: Has anyone ever installed remote terminals for the Mondial battery that make jumps a bit easier?

And yes, I know I probably need a new battery, but if there had not been two of us there to persevere in this adventure and I was left with a Hagerty roadside assistance "tech," it probably would have meant a tow home instead of a drive home.

So, I get to drive the Ferrari for the weekend, then it 's a flight back to the construction site in NJ.
    Alden

2. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I have a trickle charger connected to the cigarette lighter. During the rainy season, the car is in hibernation in a garage, but always starts right away.

- Sam in Saratoga

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    There are race car remote terminal kits, but I have not heard anyone doing this. I do note that some use an Optima Red Top battery which terminals are easily accessible. So the solution would be a battery group wihich fits with terminals centered rather than on the edge of the battery. I think there may also be some jumper cable clips that are designed for greater reach with thin extension type ends on them.

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Previous owner installed a positive post. For negative ground, I just use a bolt near the headlight housing.

I will try to get a pic later today.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Here is the pic of the red top optima in a mondial...[​IMG]

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the info everyone, will fix it when I am back home in June.
    Alden

7. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I have the same set up. I hooked up the quick disconnect that plugs to a black and decker battery tender

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes, negative is easy, positive as OEM is a *****.
    Alden

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have a battery tender hook up, the problem is not the tender hook up, it is trying you get at the positive terminal for a jump start. And the fact that a solar maintainer will not work on my Mondial if left for 4 months.

The Mondial stays at home now on the CTEK and the Jag takes it's chances with the solar in storage.
    Alden

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    FWIW, after not having driven her for 5 months due to being on a job site out of state, I just got back from a spirited 50 mile run my 3.2. Wow, I love this car, runs like a scalded ape!
    Alden

11. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Have you looked into the battery disconnect switch on the side of the battery mount plate. By switching it off the car would not constant draw from the battery. I have a little red led light next to my cig. lighter. bothers me that the car is constantly pulling from the battery.

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #13 Alden, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    [QUOTE="jkstevens2, post: 145919350, member: 18275]Have you looked into the battery disconnect switch on the side of the battery mount plate. By switching it off the car would not constant draw from the battery. I have a little red led light next to my cig. lighter. bothers me that the car is constantly pulling from the battery.[/QUOTE]

I always turn the disconnect to "off" when I am not using the car for while, so it it either the solar tender is not powerful enough or i need a new battery or both.

But....the Mondail is going to stay at my home connected to a CTEK charger and I put the Jag in the storage unit with the battery disconnected and the solar charger hooked up. We'll see what kind of shape the Jag's battery (which is newer than the Ferrari's battery) is in when I get back home in mid June.
    Alden

13. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I took some pictures. The positive post was set up by a prior owner. The only thing I would have done differently is color code it red instead of black so anyone who looks at it knows it is the positive and not the negative. I can always add some red duct tape.

Note I have the batter maintainer/charger on it now because it shows what percentage of full the battery is. I also have it setup for a Schumacher smart battery maintainer, which is normally on the car. You can see the universal electrical cord in the background.

Regards,
    Jerry

Attached Files: