Remote Start | FerrariChat

Remote Start

Discussion in '308/328' started by ANTHONY MCNAMER, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANTHONY MCNAMER

Feb 16, 2020
    Portland
    Full Name:
    ANTHONY MCNAMER
    Just bought a beautiful 308 GTS I and on the first day I got it someone broke into it and tried to use the gas key to start the ignition and broke it off in the ignition. So far no locksmith has been able to extract the key so it looks like I’m going to need to replace the ignition column. I have two questions. The first one is would it make more sense to just replace it with a remote starter and is that a pretty simple thing (and upgrade locks to keyless entry)? If the answer above is no, can someone recommend aftermarket Ignition lock/chamber? It looks like OEM ignition locks are $1500.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    A remote starter + keyless is oversolving the problem by a few magnitudes.

mike996 and Rifledriver like this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Anthony first I like to say welcome and congrats to your new 308, really sorry to hear about what happened specially on the first day of ownership that really sucks. But anyway, if you can remove the steering column assembly off then car, you can then remove the ignition switch out (I think) and either take it to a locksmith or buy new ignition switch. Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bad idea. I have seen keys broken off in those many times and never once did it cross anyones mind to take either of those actions. Real locksmiths can be hard to find. Most really just cut keys. Take it off and take it to a real locksmith.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No reason to pull the column. The lock comes out rather easily with everything in place. Don't take the car apart to do simple things.

Jdubbya and miketuason like this.
  6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Copy that Brian, thanks

7. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Just a thought...It happened to me several years back, and I was able to remove the key at home by removing the little black ignition module in the back of the ignition switch..the key was stuck in there. It is only held in place by two machine screws. You will recognize it by the ignition wires that simply pull off. Be sure to make notes of their locations. This can be your very first up-side down and backwards-standing-on- your- head project. Welcome to Ferrari, and good luck. Jq.

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Agree, I have removed the lock from the column and it wasn't much of a chore as I recall. Unfortunately, it was several years ago and I don't remember the particulars.

9. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Sorry about your luck. I always look for a silver lining though. If the thief chose the right key, your car would be gone.

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    How did they acquire the key(s)?

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Had they actually started it with the correct key, I bet they wouldn't have had a clue as to why the hell it has 3 pedals and no "D" on that weird looking gear selector.

kidryno likes this.
  12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW - I use a gear shift lock (locks in reverse) and a kill switch (fuel pump and ignition coils) rarely lock the doors as a thief can cause real damage trying break in (window,etc).... just saying.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I never EVER lock my doors. In fact the passenger side has never worked since i bought the car in 1997.

Just open the door to see there is nothing in it to steal. Please God dont break something.

waymar likes this.