430 - Remove F430 Wiper Timer Relay | FerrariChat

430 Remove F430 Wiper Timer Relay

Discussion in '360/430' started by ilappassionatodicavallino, May 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    I am attempting to remove the Windshield Wiper Timer Relay P/N 180199 on my '06 F430 Coupe. Problem is this little relay will not detach from the two connectors. I have tried everything I know short of destroying the thing. There are what appear to be locking tabs on each of the connectors, but pushing in or pulling out on them seems to have no effect. The relay contacts will come out of the connectors about 5mm, but no farther. It is also quite difficult to push the connectors back onto the relay. Any advice would be most welcome. Photo by Ricambi America. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Most relay connectors including that one are friction held. Since it’s been undisturbed since day 1 the connector contacts are on there really tight.

I recommend to spray the connector contacts with a little penetrating oil, let it soak for about 5 minutes. Then wedge a flat head screw driver between the top of the connector edge and relay base. Twist the screw driver and the connector should slide out.

Once the connector is out, spray the connector contacts with contact cleaner to remove the oil and completely clean the contacts.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do i recall something about a barb that drops into the holes on the tabs ? Will the wire tab covers slide back to see if any barbs ?

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry I'm not familiar with that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    Thanks, everyone. Turns out the connectors were just really tight. There were no mechanical tabs or other locking devices. I disconnected the battery before prying the connectors from the relay with a small pry bar. After removing the relay from the car, I opened it up and inspected the coils and contacts. The armatures on the relays were very stiff, I suspect this was from disuse (the little car has most likely never been driven in the rain). A tiny drop of oil and then applying a nine volt battery to the relay coils for some exercise did the trick. Put it all back together and all is good. Lesson for me: Regularly exercise every system and component on the car, whether it is a Ferrari or a Yugo. Machinery that sits unused deteriorates rapidly. Drive 'em, boys!