Removed resonator, now need Tubi | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Removed resonator, now need Tubi

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JimEakin, Sep 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How is the sound compared to the OEM mid section? What set-up do you have?

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Jim, if you get some second generation Tubi 550 mufflers (stamped 575) to go with your new center straight pipes, your 550 will sound pretty much like mine at speed...

4:50 6:16 7:58 and 9:48

Not a high pitched F1 sound (prior to F1 going turbo), but a nice V12 sound. I'm passing the camera at ~150 MPH in 5th gear in the video.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    And Jim, believe me, at that speed you're not paying attention to your exhaust note. There are far more important things to concentrate on while on the track. At that point in the video, I'm preparing to do two heel-toe downshifts to enter the road course.

I'm always amazed at drivers who do stupid things on the streets in order to hear how nice their exhaust systems sound...

The idiot almost hit that kid on the side of the road.

4. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Car's in the shop getting it installed this week or next. Have Tubi's out back (not sure but guessing first gen). Will report back after I get it back from the shop.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will be very loud, but should sound good.

6. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Care to share Fabio's contact info?

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    PM sent.

puckybadger likes this.
  8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada

Fabio's system sounds completely different in my opinion. It breathes new life into the car. Sounds closer to a 599 GTO (IMO sounds better than the GTO) than your vids.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #34 308 GTB, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Right. I mentioned that later in my post. I was showing Jim how his car would sound at speed if he were to add Tubi mufflers to his straight pipes.

10. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    I have this same set up on my 456, my mother told me "it invades peoples space when you drive that", all others love it. I love going to local FCA events, and when I get there asking "hey did you guys hear me coming?", everyone just rolls their eyes.

There is a drone at certain RPM range, just shift up. I found used Tubi's too so my system was very cost effective, maybe $1800 USD total

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I can't wait. Day 1 and counting...

12. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I decided to get the Stebros from Alfredo, oss117. I'll post a clip after I get them installed.

13. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #38 NE550, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Recently had my "Frankenstein" exhaust installed. Aftermarket high-flow cat pipes, Fabio's fabulous double-H pipe mid section, and Tubi rear mufflers that were already on the car. It all fits and works perfectly. Fabio's double H-pipe is first-rate and it sounds...well, take a listen at idle and running up through a few gears (speakers up!). Enjoy!

Tarek307 likes this.
  14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The videos are not working.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Changed privacy settings on Youtube, so hope it works now.

F456M likes this.
  16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks. Your 550 looks amazing. What a beauty. Seems like you have a good set up there. Not too sharp pitch and fine spund. :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey thanks! You're welcome. It does sound great...really has that classic Ferrari V12 sound. And it's pretty loud too. The video doesn't really capture the sheer volume. No drone at highway speeds, though drones some at around 2500 RPM at low speed. Here's a pic of the Fabio mid section on the car...

F456M likes this.
  18. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Well, I bought the Stebro exhaust from an FChat member. I had already replaced the resonator with straight pipes, but wanted more sound.

Man, these suckers are loud! I got 100+ dB on the freeway cruising at 3200 RPM just under 80 MPH. That's as loud as the local country bar when live music is playing.

This might have worked out if I still had the resonator in place, but I don't really want to do that experiment. Going back to stock, I now appreciate needing relative quiet when cruising.

19. JRRSA

JRRSA Rookie

Mar 18, 2017
    If you could send Fabio's contact information to me as well, I would really appreciate it. Sounds great!

Thanks....

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Here you go.

Attached Files:

F456M likes this.
  21. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I went back to the resonator. This killed the resonance at 3200 RPM (about 80 MPH). Nice sound now.

I did notice the increase in power with the straight pipes, but it was just too loud. I've looked at side pipe resonators, but there's not much room for them.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- You can always have someone weld in some balance tubes ala Fabio on the straight pipes to make an H pipe. Should kill the resonance and not the HP. That center muffler is a cork. Image of 456 center H pipes below

Attached Files:

F456M likes this.
  23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Terry,

Is the H-pipe known in the industry to reduce resonance on the 550? I know people have discarded tubi version 1 for tubi version 2 because of resonance as Jim describes. Have people added a H pipe to tubi version 1 to reduce resonance with success?

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- Affirmative, It is a trick that has been used in the exhaust industry before. An X-pipe also cuts down on the resonance, but interferes with airflow enough to cost hp and torque by mixing exhaust pulses that do not need to be mixed since the scavenging is better with straight pipes on V12s.

We use much the same technique in some rocket engine chambers, where cavities are formed in the chamber walls to get rid of resonant effects that cause instability in the chamber. These cavities go all the way through, but do not see much flow.

25. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was reading on another forum about side branch resonators. Based on the resonant frequency, the speed of sound at temperature, and the number of cylinders, a side pipe can be used to kill the resonance. I calculated that a pipe of about 12 to 15 inches would be needed to reduce resonance at 3200 RPM. I would like to go back to the straight pipes because of the power gain. So if I can find a place to put the SBRs - perhaps just in front of the rear mufflers.

Note: this example also has a cross-over pipe.

Anyone else have experience with this?