News

Removing Daytona Amp Meter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Portenos, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    When I remove my Daytona Ammeter can I simple connect the two wires together so the car will run with out damaging the voltage regulator or alternator?
    The ammeter had stopped working but the alternator was still putting out a charge.
    I would be very appreciative of talking with someone who has experience with this particular area of the car.
    Best
    Portenos

2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    When I remove my Daytona Ammeter can I simply connect the two wires together so the car will run with out damaging the voltage regulator or alternator?
    The ammeter had stopped working. It just points to zero, straight up, but the alternator was still putting out a charge at the battery.
    I would be very appreciative of talking with someone who has experience with this particular area of the car or knowing who would be the best person to contact.
    Best
    Portenos

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
  4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #4 Motob, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Yes, you can remove the ammeter and use a 5mm bolt and nut to connect the two power wires in order to run the car. The ammeter acts just like a connector between the two wire (but measures the current flowing through the wire), so removing it and connecting the wires will not damage anything.
    You can rebuild your original Marelli voltage regulator by taking it apart, removing all of the old internals and soldering a modern solid state regulator to the terminals inside of the original regulator. The modern regulator costs around $50 or so.
    You can also purchase a modern reproduction of your voltage regulator with modern internals for a few hundred dollars.
    https://www.gtoengineering.com/products/voltage-regulator-magneti-marelli-el00048n

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Have you tested the alternator? You can check the full output of the alternator by full-fielding the regulator and then measuring the output of the alternator (voltage and amperage). To full field the alternator, disconnect the wires from the voltage regulator and make a male to male jumper wire and connect the green wire (power from the fusebox regulatore fuse) to the white wire (field terminal of the alternator). This will cause the alternator to make maximum output, so if you rev the engine the voltage should go very high (16v+), and it should put out max amperae (45A). Do not rev the engine so that the max voltage goes above 15v or you may damage your Marelli Digiplex ignition control units.

6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Thank you Motob, Much appreciated.
    Ciao,
    Portenos

7. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Someplace new
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Rutlands's has the red box regulators in stock rebuilt/exchange.

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
  9. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    While you are at it, get rid of the Scotch Lock (blue connector) and do a proper butt splice. Butt connector, crimped and heat shrink. Scotch Locks are the Devil's work.

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Good point. Consider it done. Delivered the wire wheels and new XWX tires over to LA yesterday for trueing & balancing.
    RW4300 and RW 4075
    P

f355spider likes this.