Removing Distributor Caps - Mondial | FerrariChat

Removing Distributor Caps - Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Vivaldi, Oct 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    Seems simple enough...while I was waiting for a clutch slave cylinder, decided to replace the ignition wires (since I had to remove the front bank distributor cap to access the slave more readily). Did that one without problem, and figured I was home free. Oh well!!! Can't figure out how to get to the bottom screw on the rear bank distributor cap. Tried a small 8-mm open end and a stubby small screwdriver, but just can't get either tool in the right position. I am sure many of you have done this...so what's the secret? What tool? Access from what angle? With which hand?

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    This was a huge problem for me. Through the wheel well, with a small open end wrench that I bent slightly in a vise, I was able to get it tightened. Unbelievable amount of effort, and I think the cork gasket slipped a bit, probably best to put some gasket sealent on the cap and let the gasket set overnight.. I can't bring myself to do this again. Sorry, but I have no real advise, but I thought it was just me that thought this was a tough one. I eagerly await a F mechanic who probably get 10 minutes of shop time allocated to this to share the secret.

3. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    1/4" drive (I forget which size metric) socket with 2-3" ext and ratchet. All 1/4" drive. Works fine.

4. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    I took mine off through the front access plate. Just lower the rear seats, remove the access plate and the distributor cap is there.

It is also much easier to bleed the slave cylinder once you install it.

Good luck!

5. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    8mm deep socket on this little wrench.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94011

For putting it back on, using an 8mm on an adapter for 3/8 to 1/4" drive was just the right depth to push it on.

It takes a bit to find the right hand position. I also found that standing on a small platform really helped get the right angle--I built a step about 6" high which is great for leaning over the trunk.

Loosen all the wires from the looms and push them around a bit, then the socket easily follows the groove in the side of the cap.

If it makes you feel better, it took me 16 hours to get both caps off the first time, now its about 20 minutes.

6. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    Thanks everyone and in particular Peter. I have also implemented a step stool (particularly since I have the rear end on jacks for the clutch slave cylinder swap). I have a Harbor Freight within 4 miles of home. Will stop by there right after work and will post outcome for everyone.

7. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Push a 8mm nut driver right through them wires, parting them, guide the driver with the other hand into the groove. Presto

Edwardo