Removing interior rear view Mirror | FerrariChat

Removing interior rear view Mirror

Discussion in '360/430' started by JaguarDriver, Sep 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    Need some help from the brain trust please. I have looked through the shop manual and searched this forum, no luck. R&R windshield procedure in the manual only states at the end of the process to attach the mirror. There is no mention about removing it. I need to know how to remove it safely without breaking the windshield as the windshield is fine. There is usually a trick to release it on most cars. If anyone has knows the way, I would sure appreciate you sharing it.

2. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Take a look at the back of the mirror through the windshield glass. You will see you need a hex to remove it.. Pretty simple.

3. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Seems to me that it rotates on the windshield mount to release. I don't recall which direction. I saw a tech pop it right off.

4. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    That is getting closer. I know about the allen screw to take the mirror off of the mount. What I need to know is how to release the mount off of the windshield. I do not want to break the windshield pushing or tapping the wrong way.

5. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    #5 Stout, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    The windshield mount is not removable. It comes preattached to the windshield from Ferrari. I've already been through this with Radar-Mirror.

Edit:
    The mirror and the mirror stalk are one unit. The allen bolt will separate them but they should remain as one unit. They twist off of the windshield mount as one unit. Like a break away mirror. The mount is a flat piece of steel that is glued to the windshield and is not removable. The mirror has a tension attachment to this mount.

6. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    The question is how does the black base of the mirror detach from the metal piece glued onto glass. Does it twist, pull, push and if so which direction?

7. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    It slides onto the windshield mount - to remove pull up towards the roof of your car along the windshield.

8. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    Thanks for the information. I did manage to remove it the other night. I want to replace it with one of the new mirrors with auto diming, Homelink, compass and a RCD (rear camera display). It is a Gentex 3345 if interested. However, I cannot get enough distance down from the windshield to clear the interior light bulge. Don't know until you try. I guess I will see if it will fit in the Aston. It's rearward visibility is rather poor also.

9. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I had called Gentex about a Homelink mirror for my 360 and was told they do not offer anything that will fit due to the obscure mount on the windshield.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Small rifts in compatibility never sit well with me. How important is it to you? Is there no way to "scab" a mount from a salvage part onto the aftermarket piece? The two-part epoxies they have readily available in the hardware store are very good.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Did anyone find a replacement rear view mirror for the 360?

I too want to upgrade to auto dimming. Plus the edges of the mirror itself on my 2003 360 is showing signs of age.

Dan

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #12 tazandjan, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Radar-Mirror installed a homelink in my dome light, which already has power, unlike the mirror. Here is what it looks like from both sides before installation. Photos taken before the power wires for the Homelink were hooked up to the dome light assembly.

Bought an extra mirror to put the Homelink into, but decided that was dumb because I would have to run a power cord to the dome light at any rate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NMNMNMN likes this.
  13. TheGeeMan

TheGeeMan Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Montreal , Canada
    Full Name:
    Eddy
    Love the idea of the HomeLink for my 360, care to share which homeLink to buy

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info Taz.

Any homelink / garage door remote ideas for a 360 Spider?

Dan

15. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I used one of the original buttons and put it on the "blank spot" next to the steering wheel. Any homelink from any "visor" will work as those are the cheapest to get. Be careful with AUDI ones as they are sometimes 2 separate modules. The only "problem" with my solution is that it only opens 1 garage as I wire the OEM button to one of the homelink buttons. IMO it's enough for me and looks totally OEM.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dan- The idea was to put it into an assembly that could be replaced if the next owner did not want it. I actually have an extra dome light assembly. Chris' idea works since most of us only need one of the buttons on the Homelink.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Got it. Thanks Taz.

Dan

18. DustinL

DustinL Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    #18 DustinL, Jan 24, 2015
    I ran across this thread looking for ideas on my garage remote also and thought I put post what I ended up doing since it keeps the car intact without damage and can easily be put back to OEM. The poster who hardwired the garage remote to the visor gave me an idea.

I had a dummy switch in the group of 4 switches to the left of the steering wheel, so I bought a trunk release switch off eBay and de-stickies it since it was the version I was looking for - one that you clicked down to activate and then automatically clicked back up (wouldn't stay locked into place like the ASR or Sport switches).

I took apart my garage remote, located the circuits that were activated when the button was pressed, then ran 2 wires from each one out the back of the remote. Then I connected them to the new switch after some trial and error on which prongs of the switch actually connected the circuits when pressed. Once all figured out, I replaced the dummy switch with my new one and hid the garage remote in the space behind the switches themselves. Very easy to remove for battery changes, going back to OEM, etc. and it looks factory. Trying to decide now if I should remove the label from the switch since it looks like a trunk release now... just not sure if the glue holding on the label will be tough to remove or not.....

19. DustinL

DustinL Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    #19 DustinL, Jan 24, 2015
  20. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good to see I inspired you to hack on that Dustin. That "label" is actually a plastic piece with hooked ends on both sides, I would probably not remove it.

What I was thinking of doing is seeing if the paint can be removed then manufacture some labels with the homelink garage icon on them so they look like a legit garage opener. Haven't played with that yet. Are you using the switch illumination?

21. DustinL

DustinL Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Thanks for the heads up on the label not being glued on. Trying to remove it could had have gotten ugly.

I'm not using the illumination, but the dummy switch was plugged in for whatever reason...so does the connector the dummy switch was plugged into provide power? If so, it would be very easy to illuminate my new switch, but do you already happen to know which of the other 3 connections I'm not already using are for illumination? Top and bottom maybe? Thanks!

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Outstanding job Dustin!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

23. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nice Dustin. Like this idea. I use a similar switch for my Bluetooth and learned a lesson about the switch label. The white label shows through a black paint. It you try to remove the label, you will remove the black paint and have an oval area of all white that stick out like a sore thumb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

24. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dustin, I'm getting some paint work done right now, so I can't check my connections. However if you have access to a DMM you can check which pin on the connector goes to 12v when you switch the lights on.

25. DustinL

DustinL Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    #25 DustinL, Jan 26, 2015
    Well, I appreciate the info. I ended up scratching the illumination since the label would just look funky being the wrong picture for the garage door, so I opted to replace it with the dummy switch to at least black it out. I think it turned out nice and serves its purpose. Thanks for the heads up on the labels popping off from the inside!

NMNMNMN and KC360 FL like this.