Removing old clear bra | FerrariChat

Removing old clear bra

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by TrojanFan, Jun 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ive had my 612 for about 2 years now. When i bought her, she had clear bra on the leading 12" or so of the hood. It was a bit faded and had a small tear in it. I had planed to replace it but never seemed to get around to it.

This Sunday is our local FCA Concorso so i llI thought I would remove the faded clear bar. I'm a DYI guy and I watched a few videos on youtube. Use a heat gun, peal back and pull off in a big sheet. Problem is, that only works on newer clear bra material. The older stuff gets brittle and becomes a major pain in the Axx to remove. With the heat gun, at best it was coming off in 1/4" pieces.

What you have to do is use a 3M erasure wheel. Basically a soft rubber grinding wheel on the end of a cordless drill. It melts the clear bra into a plastic goo that can be sort of scraped/peeled off. Maybe someone that has done this before can do it faster but its labor intensive. Its taken me about 4 hours to 90% clear about 3 sq ft of the stuff. Thats with the grinding, spraying goo gone, scraping and wiping.

Word to the wise, dont let your clear bra get this old. If it starts to show any signs of yellow, get it removed asap. You will thank yourself for the hours you save.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  2. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Steam guns work the best and will not hurt the paint,the same you use for getting wrinkle out of your clothes it will come off in large portions.