Renew Timing Belt and Performance Lost???? | FerrariChat

Renew Timing Belt and Performance Lost????

Discussion in '308/328' started by patpong, Oct 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I have just had my Timing Belt and Timing belt bearing change. After I got the car back. The performance is lost a lot. Not as punchy, and jumpy when take off. Top speed lost...
    The car is Ferrari 308, 76, carb. Euro. I had it done at Ferrari dealer. The parts, both timing belt and bearing not O.M.E parts. But they fit the 308. I bought the belt at Italianparts.com and bearing (SFK) at Sodacoms.com. The mechinc mentioned that the bearing isn't O.M.E. I don't know if that the case. When I got the bearing, I use my hand and try to spin it, it can hardly move. Is that normal? What happen here? The bearing I used before change was O.M.E.. Is the bearing the problem?
    Please advise....

2. thevirginiadude

thevirginiadude Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Fairfax County, VA
    I'm going to take a stab that the timing is off by one tooth. The bearing should not be that tight, it won't be totally free spinning due to oil seals drag, but it won't be hard to spin either.

3. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    I have used Sodacoms bearings with no problems. I agree that it may be the cam timing. I just fixed a 328 that had a major at a dealer but wasn't exactly right. Found the 1-4 exhaust cam retarded 6 degrees.