360 - Repaint intake covers | FerrariChat

360 Repaint intake covers

Discussion in '360/430' started by Neil22, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I would like to repaint the intake covers on my 360 over the winter, has any one purchased the paint or know a paint code? They are in good condition just dull - I have used a spray dressing that makes them look amazing for a short time.

I was thinking of just degreasing them and do a respray?

Any one in the north east had them done - recommendation to get them repainted?

2. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    you'll want to blast them with some aluminum oxide for the best paint adhesion.

if you're equipped (compressor, hvlp detail gun or airbrush) i would *HIGHLY recommend using something like Cerakote or Molyresin instead of ordinary paint; they're industrial coatings aimed *mostly* at the gunsmithing pros/firearms hobbyists, well-regarded for their high heat tolerance.

If you don't have the tooling, a degrease and high-heat-oriented krylon or similar will also work, though you'll want to *THOROUGHLY* degrease (heat up in the oven or with a heat gun, spray down with brake cleaner or douse in acetone--do that at least 4-5 times). blasting will definitely give a much better surface for the paint to bond with though.

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Since you have a Spider, and the Spider had aluminum covers from the factory (all of them), you might want to consider either bringing them back to stock or refreshing it. I sandblasted my black painted covers and clear coated them with a high temp spray. They turned out great.

armedferret likes this.
  4. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    does anyone have a paint code or product that would match the existing Red?

5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari usually puts a sticker in the frunk lid (boot lid) that has the name and paint code on it.

6. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    for the car yes but for the intake covers the same paint code?

7. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry i thought you meant match the existing red on the car, just dawned on me you probably mean the intake plenums.

8. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    I used this stuff to paint the cam covers on my Alfa engine and it came out great. Ive since sold the car so i dont have it to compare to the my 360 intake but according to this photo it looks pretty damn close.

https://www.frost.co.uk/vht-red-wrinkle-finish-310ml/

9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Mine were a little faded too. I sprayed the entire engine with Griots Engine Dressing and let it dry. I actually did two coats, after degreasing.
    It’s worth a try before you go to all the trouble of repainting.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    The VHT red is not a close enough match. Is is too orange.

11. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    do you know of a better product?

12. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    Found a picture of the Alfa.. I dont recall it looking too orange in person but you might be right. Cheap enough to buy and test spray something for a proper side by side comparison?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    The best product to use apparently is called Riloplast. It has the same worm-like uniform wrinkling and good colour match unlike the random wrinkle and orange colour of the VHT can.
    I bought a couple of aerosol cans of it to try, but unfortunately the post destroyed them, despite declaring they were aerosol. Haven't gotten around to ordering the solid paint and spraying it.

http://www.gasup.it/gb/design-prestigious-finishing/8-wrinkle-paint-riloplast-80.html

There are also some powders that are very close. The colour was right on, but the wrinkle didn't have the same uniformity.

Image Unavailable, Please Login