News

Replacing Air Conditioner Drier-Receiver

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Brian A

Brian A Formula 3

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #1 Brian A, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    The factory drier-receiver (part 106647) is made by Hansa and is currently available through many of the regular Ferrari part suppliers. It costs around $165.

The factory drier-receiver is unusual in that it has a #6 female o-ring coupling on one side and a #6 male o-ring coupling on the other. Most conventional drier-receivers have male #6 o-ring couplings on both sides. A conventional drier-receiver costs around $18.

The unusual thing is that the factory used a female-to-female adapter (Part 107402) in order to use the Hansa drier-receiver. If that adapter is removed from the pressure switch union (part 106646), a conventional male-male drier-receiver can be used. This is the best way to go.

Be careful when working on the pressure switch union to remove the female-to-female adapter. The union has a short piece of very thin copper tubing which is easily bent. You might have to double-nut the adapter to get it off; it can be screwed in really tight.

Here are three drier-receivers that work:

Hansa – OEM #6 o-ring male-female. $165.

Singer Controls model 460. #6 o-ring male-female just like OEM. NAPA Autoparts found one for me 5 years ago (last belt change). $28.

Four-Seasons model 33444. #6 o-ring male-male. Needs part 107402 removed. I used this one this belt change. A much better option. Amazon $18.42.

A few points on drier-receivers:

- Common wisdom says you should replace the drier-receiver with a brand new one each time you open up the system.

- Used (!!) factory Hansa drier-receivers are listed on eBay for as much as $500. Don’t buy them! You need a fresh one.

- The purpose of the drier-receiver is to capture moisture in the system which minimizes corrosive acidity of the refrigerant.

- The size of the drier-receiver really doesn’t matter (within reason). As long as it fits, it’ll do its job.

The two connection methods: Four Seasons Drier-Receiver on top and Singer on bottom:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hansa vs Singer (Four Seasons is the same size as the Hansa):

lm2504me, GordonC and miketuason like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I removed the joiner piece ages ago and run a trinary switch. My receiver drier is from a Caterpillar - $20

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

4. Brian A

Brian A Formula 3

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I recognize the template in the background of your photo. I too upgraded the blower fan.

Ferraridoc likes this.
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Are you guys running R12 when you are done, or R134?

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Uk
    Other purpose of the drier is to remove any moisture to prevent freezing up at the expansion valve, these driers have a screen filter on the inlet side just above the beads, it collects any rubbish in the liquid refrigerant and prevents it blocking the exp valve. A good test when you remove it, is to blow your breath down the inlet and you should feel no resistance.
    we had a blocked one on a ship i worked on but did not have a spare- we cut the top of with a junior hacksaw, cleaned out the mesh filter , put the beads on a tray in the oven @ 120C to dry out and soldered the top back on with an AG 60 rod. Worked fine as no shops mid Atlantic.

mexicruiser and theunissenguido like this.