Restaurants in Oahu | FerrariChat

Restaurants in Oahu

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by BigSky355, Jan 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The family and I are in Honolulu for a few days. Any recommendations on restaurants. No high end fancy places- we have the kids with us, and usually prefer the more casual, "known to the locals" kinds of places anyway. Thanks.

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #2 Jedi, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    If you're going to be around Waikiki, there are dozens and dozens to choose from.
    On of my favorites is Uncle Bo's - 559 Kapahulu - walking distance from Waikiki (ok,
    a longish walk). But get there early - it gets packed later. GREAT local dishes and
    it looks like a dive outside, but is very nice inside. They have valet parking ($5 and
    worth it - unless you luck out with street parking). This is a very popular 'local' hangout,
    with a wonderful menu - lots of fish and really good cuisine with a solid Hawaii theme.

At the Ala Moana mall is also a very nice Old Spaghetti Factory - great place for kids,
    but certainly not Hawaiian fare :) The mall has lots of other eateries as well, and there
    are quite a few in the general vicinity - it's on Ala Moana Blvd. not far from Waikiki, and
    has great parking (a premium in that whole area).

But get out of Waikiki area and you'll find LOTS of great 'local' places. Head over
    the mountain to Kailua and Kaneohe and you'll find all kinds of small places. One
    of my faves is Yen Yen Chinese on Keolu Drive in Kailua. Hole in the wall but GREAT
    Chinese with a bit of Hawiian flare.

Like Korean? One of the best on the planet is Sorabol on Keeaumoku Street - one
    of the top Korean restaurants in all of Hawaii.

But just explore - Oahu has no shortage of great food!!

Just my 2 cents (I am in HI 3 times a year on business)

PS - if you don't like Spam (the food not the email), stay away from anything that says
    "Hawaiian Grill" - just google "loco-moco" - it's a local Hawaiian favorite that is a gut bomb,
    cardiologists nightmare, and about like eating 5 Big Macs! Most of the menu at such
    places is a variation on that theme, with some bad Korean thrown in too.

Jedi

3. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the detailed response Jedi. Some great ideas. :)

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    It looks like an office building, but the food is really amazing.