Retroair A/C upgrade for 308 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Retroair A/C upgrade for 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Jun 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hey folks,

thanks a lot for these interesting replies.
    Somehow I missed one FChat message about new replies and thought, that there's no interest in this subject.
    I'm still not completely sure whether to buy or not. But mainly because of the huge shipping costs, taxes and duty.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

2. DBFerrari

DBFerrari Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    Hi everyone.

I had a quick look at 842/2006. It's drawn following the Kyoto Protocol on Greenhouse Emissions. To me, it's really nothing to write home about.

It refers to "stationary applications", not sure whether these include automotive A/C systems, but I would think so.
    However, in article 3, it requires the operators to check periodically the systems for leakage of fluorinated greenhouse gases. But this applies to systems above 3, 30 and 300 kg. of fluid. No car has that much fluid. On a Ferrari 308/328 I would expect somethng around 700 grams.

Art. 9, further specifies
    "Placing on the market
    1. The placing on the market of products and equipment
    containing, or whose functioning relies upon, fluorinated
    greenhouse gases, as listed in Annex II shall be prohibited as
    specified in that Annex.
    2. Paragraph 1 shall not apply to products and equipment
    shown to be manufactured before the date of entry into force of
    the relevant placing on the market prohibition."

This makes sense, it happened already with R12, and I woud expect to be the same in the future. In a nutshell, whatever fluid you have in your car, and it's working and not leaking, just leave it the way it is. It simply means that an outdated gas can't be sold anymore and all systems, new and old, must be filled/refilled with a compliant gas.

The real point is how effective is the A/C system on these cars.
    For one, in the '80s, most automotive A/C systems were "botched up". The middle east wasn't that big a market as it is today. So A/C systems were kind of "weak" back then, especially on Euro cars. If you put a different gas in, I mean a gas for which the system is not designed, it's reasonable to expect a yet weaker performance.

R134 works fine in systems that are designed to work with it. If you want to use "future" fluids, you've got to be sure that you're choosing the right one (it's a bet, they may change their mind at the last minute, it happened already), and then go for a system that works efficiently with it.
    My suggestions is to study the A/C system, and approach the problem as we do when we want more torque or more HPs from the engine. Know what you're dealing with and do a proper job. That means redisigning the system with state of the art equipment, including probably custom made parts.

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    If your car is a Euro then it would already have a Sanden compressor so this part of the upgrade would not be necessary surely? Or is it a larger Sanden which they are using?

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "It refers to "stationary applications", not sure whether these include automotive A/C systems, but I would think so."

IMO that sentence does NOT apply to vehicles since vehicles/stationary are two entirely different applications. There are existing similar differences between stationary and vehicular systems wherein certain refrigerants, such as the propane derivatives are approved for stationery systems but not for vehicles. So there would have to be specific wording about vehicles if the rule/law/protocol/agreement covers them OR it would have to just say "All Applications." Cars and buildings do not currently use the same refrigerant and there is nothing I read that says they will or could (or should).

5. DBFerrari

DBFerrari Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    Alonso came 3rd in Silverstone GP, good race overall...

I dont' know, you might be right, I quickly looked at this EU reg. as it was mentioned in a previous post, so I assumed it's applicable. But I didn't investigate further.
    To me the point remains that if you have an A/C that is working and not leaking, you're not required to do anything. If you're upgrading the system, you just need to comply with current regulations, especially if the system is expected to work reliably for a long time.

6. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Was this necessary to include in A/C discussion?! I was interested in learning about aftermarket A/C systems not a result of a race that have not been broadcasted in the US.

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    it is Euro, but is has an Aspera compressor. As far as I know, the Aspera is identical with the York.
    BTW, when the system worked for the last time, there was a slight leak on the pulley's seal and I really don't want to mess with any repair of this old thing.

It's not the manufacturer, that matters, but the fact, that the old compressors, condensers... the whole systems were designed for use with R12 and the new ones for R134a.

Best Regards

Martin

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Lighten up Claudio, it was only a bit of Ferrari news!

9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Martin, I just installed a couple cans of ES12 into my old Aspera powered system and it's quite wonderful. It actually has a slightly lower operating psi than R12 and it undoubtly works better than anything I have ever tried. Shoot me a pm if you want me to get a couple cans out to you as I believe the sellers in the US are not selling outside the US!

10. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    What is York pulley diameter for R210R, (Aspera) HG 1000 AP ??? I am trying to replace compressor and clutch, but MOST Yorks come Without pulley. I am guessing this is because so many York applications yield so many different pulley clutch diameters. Mine is OE on 1984 400i GT, S/N 49041. HELP. Thanks in advance

11. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    Question, most of the upgrade threads note the use of the Sanden SH7D15, which is only rated to 6,000 RPM. Sanden offers the SDV series, rated to 8,000 RPM.
    Would this be a better choice?
    I read hearsay they the factory York was application specified for high RPM, anyone know of documentation on this?

12. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    I installed the Retro Air kit and was totally satisfied. I live in Florida and find the AC works even on 100 degree days as long as the car does not get sun soaked while parked. If so then it takes a while for the AC to cool things. Now I am careful to cover the windshield when parked, otherwise my dash get too hot to touch. I found Retro Air to be very responsive to my questions and I made several suggestions for improvements. My LP charging ports was hidden by the intake snorkel but I think they have move the charging port. I installed new fans so they ask to borrow my original fans to see if they could improve for customers who want to keep their original fans. They know AC, do not know the 308 very well but they want feedback and are willing to learn.

13. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    If you declare / disclose the contents, that package will never be allowed to cross outside the US border. If you do not disclose (accurately), and Customs opens that package for random inspection, you are seriously going to regret that generous act ;).

14. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    FWIW, my factory Sanden compressor is labelled SD507 (see pictures in this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/456831-308-qv-ac-compressor-easy-removal-without-removing-studs.html )

15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Just got my kit this week and have started the process. Will post thread soon.

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am going to buy this kit but go with R12 and the SDV compressor.

17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #42 HotShoe, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First impression from opening my kit is that everything is well put together. I'm very happy with the quality of the components.

After unpacking I began the process of installing the condenser. Because I have a custom radiator the supplied mounting brackets wouldn't work so I quickly fabled my own. After everything fits perfect I'll tweak them and get them powder coated.

Late today I began the evaporator and fan assembly but didn't get far. Everything seems to fit perfectly and the Spal replacement fans are top notch.

The only con I can say so far is that if you like very detailed Ikea-ish directions you're in trouble. It comes with instructions and photos but it requires that you basically look at the parts and photos and infer how to assemble everything with just a few lines of copy. If you need detailed diagrams that explain every nut and bolt with perfect clarity you might be in trouble.

More to come...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Out of curiosity, why does the compressor / clutch have 2 pulleys ?

19. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    That's just how they come because it can be used for other vehicle applications.
    You only use the one belt on one pulley.

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have read the article about that condenser and the surface area - but it still just *seems* too small to work well, especially with 134.

21. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yeah I am very curious about this as well, I think it will be fine as that type of condenser is tons more efficient. I can tell you this though, that condenser features thin flat tubes and the condenser itself is thinner by about half an inch over the stock unit which has big tubes snaking through which unfortunately block a ton of airflow to the radiator not to mention that the laminar flow coming from the stock condenser is pretty darn hot. Tons more air will flow through the new condenser but either side of this new unit does present a bit of blockage. I've toyed with the idea of getting a 12 x 24 modern condenser in there (the above unit is 12x20) but it might be difficult, flow to the radiator core certainly could be restricted though and two modern 12" fans could be attached to the front much easier.

22. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Oh and btw that's one handsome radiator :D

23. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Don't forget to ground the Sanden compressor correctly.

24. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    How?

My problem is I won't get it running for awhile. I'm doing some engine work and by the time I get everything back in one piece it's gonna be who knows how long.

25. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    What model SPAL fan do they supply? Seems like all of the modern fans have low profile motor that would not work in the stock mounting bracket.