Retroair A/C upgrade for 308 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Retroair A/C upgrade for 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Jun 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You don't use the stock mounting brackets with these types of fans.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I'm thinking a big 16" fan mounted right in the center of the condenser might be the best option. I just can't see two 12" fans mounting correctly to that condenser. They would stick out the ends a bit

3. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
  4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #54 Crowndog, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

There is only a +12v wire from the unit. Need to ground the casing with another wire. Lug on front bolt works fine.

5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Would it not be grounded through the mounting bolts to the engine?

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Most are --- but you should do a quick continuity check to verify --- a very good ground is essential for any A/C comp clutch.

7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Not sure. I did a check with the olds one side by side and I'd WAG they are just about the same in OA size.

Correct. They supply a laser cut plate that goes inside the evap case and the fan unite bolts to that from the outside. The openings for the new fan are a little wider and a little shorter.

I think I'm going to mount two pullers in the back of the radiator. I'm fabbing a custom enclosure for the front boot that uses the factory mounting points and possibly ditch the spare or go with a donut.

Thanks! I'll make a note of that.

8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

I have forgotten the issue but I think the case that mounts to the mounting bracket was electrically insulated. The bolts in front were the ticket.

9. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo

I have received my kits but have not started installation, pls keep us posted on your progress. Thanks

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #60 finnerty, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    The deal with grounding is that what you need to ground is the EM coil on the clutch --- the compressor itself is not an electrical device.

On some units, there is built-in continuity (often via an internal connection) between the clutch coil and the compressor housing so that you can ground through the compressor mounting points. However, some units have the clutch coil and the compressor housing electrically de-coupled.

Best way to check while the unit is still on the bench, is to put one Ohm meter probe on the +12V supply lead (goes to the coil), and then start surveying with the other probe at various spots on the compressor body and its mounting lugs ---- look for paths that have about a 3-5 Ohm resistance (typical resistance of just the coil itself). Then any of those which you identify can be used for grounding to the car chassis / engine block.

@ HOTSHOE ---

It looks like the one you have there in the box will likely have continuity through the compressor body --- but you should verify that. Putting a separate ground wire on one of the front cover bolts (just behind the clutch) is a little tricky --- as it must be securely held and routed clearly away from the rotating clutch / pulley assembly and the A/C belt --- best to avoid that all together and ground through the body mounting if possible.

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Two puller fans is a perfect idea. I'd do it too if I didn't want my spare tire holder left alone. Would love to see pics of your solution!

12. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Also known as ES12. I have used and installed this stuff on 5 older Ferrari's still using stock Aspera compressors and it is brilliant stuff. The program I enlisted with these cars was simple, new oil in the compressor, change hoses that needed changing, changed all o-rings, new expansion valve, new dryer, test for leaks, install two cans of ES12, done.

ES12 requires less compression to work well and is indeed colder than R12 IMO. Yes it's a hydrocarbon byproduct but it's flammability requires very high pressure and heat to be at all dangerous. I'm more concerned about the two fuel tanks actually....

The only thing I might add to this is I might upgrade the evaporator fan because the volume of air is pretty poor, and I might also replace the a/c condenser with a new modern unit (retrofit) which doesn't block air to the radiator so much and works better all around.

13. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

When you design these along with the correct mounts for your radiator I am in for one!

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Hopefully it works. I'm trying to use all the existing factory mounting points so it can be returned to original. Just can't decide yet if it's gonna be aluminum or carbon/kevlar. I want it to look 100% factory.

Removing the spare or going with a donut frees up all that space and allows for a better cooling solution. Something similar to the Speciale or F40 LM bonnet.

I just don't see the need for a full-size spare that takes up all that room and weight. In my entire life I've only needed a spare twice. Of course, now I'll get three flat tires today alone for saying that! ;)

15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    You definitely have to do something about the airflow coming from the radiator, and it sounds like you're on the right track with perhaps using a aluminum shroud or something. Otherwise radiator airflow will deflect into the cabin and we don't want that!

16. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    BTW, if anyone has any concerns, needs advice, wants to rejuvenate their R!2 system or change out to R134a....... or anything. Call Joe at Polar Bear, Inc., and let him help you ---- he knows his stuff, is extremely helpful, and has great prices on anything you could want.

Polar Bear, Inc.

17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello from Germany,

though I have started this thread last year, in the meantime I have decided to keep originality as far as possible - due to increasing values of these cars on the classic market over here - and have rejected this project.
    I will try to reanimate my A/C system with a new compressor, new line seals and a new dryer.
    Any hints, which components should also be replaced with new ones prior to the first try ?

Best Regards and thank you in advance

Martin

18. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I think it will help but having torn the entire car down to the frame I'd say radiant heat thru the front bulkhead is more an issue.

On my car, a Euro, you literally have MAYBE an 1/8" of fiberglass insulating you from all that heat. Not to mention all the little holes from the heat to leak in from. Especially the accelerator hole.

I'm going to try using two layers of dynamite on the front bulkhead surfaces where possible. Their standard dynamt extreme and they 1/2" thick heat blocker (forgot product name).

19. firedude308QV

firedude308QV Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Scott
    I recently purchased the Retroair compressor upgrade kit for my 308 QV. As you may know, the installation instructions are not that detailed.

Does anyone know where the 3/8" x 1/2" spacer should be installed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bill

20. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Bill: call Rock at Retroair, he is experience and helpful. I installed their kit on my '84 308 Euro and it works perfectly. You can PM me for pics, etc. But I do not remember a spacer - it was 3 years ago.

21. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    I'm using r12. Nothing changed. It's ice cold. I just need more air flow and more vents. Like to know what fan motor they are using to gain more air flow. Call them about the spacer. I don't know where the spacer goes but I use to live in Hernando Beach up the road from you. In fact I still own a home and extra lot there. Want to buy a small island? I own one on the mouth of the Homosassa River I'd like to sell.

22. firedude308QV

firedude308QV Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Scott
    I have emailed and called Retroair several times and have not received return emails of phone calls.

23. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I want to second working with Joe at Polar Bear. He and his wife are great to work with.

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Re enviro safe:

I have to laugh a bit at this caution on their site: "Flammable to an open flame or spark, proceed with caution if used in systems designed for non-flammable refrigerants."

"systems designed for non-flammable refrigerants" includes all auto systems. ;) I'm not criticizing the use of hydrocarbon refrigerants, I use it myself on my 328 (DuraCool). It's just that I find the caution amusing since they are selling it specifically for systems that it is NOT designed for. AND, of course, it gives them an "out" if you blow yourself up working with it! :) They can always say, "Well, you shouldn't have been using it for that purpose.

Again, I use such refrigerant and have been for 5-6 years. It works great. I just ensure I don't light up a cigar when I'm installing it. :)

25. ddiesen

ddiesen Karting

Apr 6, 2006
    Mesa Arizona
    Full Name:
    David Diesen
    #75 ddiesen, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I swapped out my compressor a couple weeks ago using a fit from GT Car parts in Arizona. Basically all we had to do was clean out my old lines, install the compressor and fittings to connect to the old system, and your off and running. It blows ice cold and doesn't bog the motor down when you turn it on. I've had the car out in 115 degree weather and it works great. I pulled my York out about 10 years ago but kept all the hardware intact in the car when I was using it for a track day car, so I was kind of shocked when it bolted right in and so far has worked flawlessly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login