Return to 458 or go for the new 488? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Return to 458 or go for the new 488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Speedy2081, Mar 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay-K

Jay-K Karting

Feb 3, 2015
    Go for 458.

I cant explain, I've driven both and 458 it is.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sorry it’s a fact.

Had both.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You missed the point dustman. Having both doesn't change the fact that sound is subjective - also that the power and performance differential is quantifiable i.e also fact.

Napoli and Motorwerks like this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #54 dustman, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Seriously now, we all know which sounds better.
    Options aside on quality.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    We is plural, you or I is singular and, we can really only speak for ourselves. And speaking as if subjectivity doesn't apply in this matter would mean the entire world agrees with you - but it doesn't. Both engines sound good for what they are so please be happy with that and respect the thoughts of others who may not agree with you.

Motorwerks likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive owned 2 458s, no 488s, and now i have my eye on a 458 again

Caeruleus11 and Afonsolaw like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same...just got a 458 Spider.
    Sounds better.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The 488 is clearly faster than the 458. For folks that fast means better, than the 488 is better. I think "better" and "faster" are two complex terms, very far apart from one another. So, 458 for me all the way.

For me, a better car isn't just a question of speed. I've driven very fast cars that are nowhere near as appealing and/or engaging as an inferior horsepower car (by 100hp for instance).

Even sound and looks are subjective. It's how a car makes you feel. How good a car is can't be measured alone by how faster it goes. But that's just me: top speed has never been in my top 3 Ferrari buying priorities. Not sure if even in top 5.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Totally agree.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Clay512TR and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    For me it's these things in this order
    1) looks
    2) sound (can be fixed)
    3) feel

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #61 Shadowfax, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Agree. There may be faster cars than the 488 - or in your case 458 - but for me it's all about the way a car communicates slow and toward the limit. I'm probably different to most F car drivers as looks/wow factor are last on my list of priorities. That said, now owning an F car, it's kinda nice having the visual edge (although at times it can be a bit of bother) but if it didn't deliver in the driving dept then I would forego the visuals and take the car with the better feel and drive.

As you have pointed out, sound and looks are both subjective but on those 2 points the 488 looks and sounds bloody good to my ear and everyone else who has heard it says the same. Now maybe if I'd spent more seat time in a 458 I may give more credence to the sound of it but imho 488 just drives significantly better than 458 as a package and sounds so good anyway so why focus on just one element as being the sole deciding factor between these two?

That said if I owned a 458 prior to 488 then I would be better off not driving the 488. Speciale is different as it is a different beast again to both of these I find....much rawer driving experience with more compromises one needs to be prepared for, which will be much the same case with Pista vs 488 i suspect.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  12. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Great post I would say...
    1. Looks
    2. Feel
    3. Sound
    4. Speed

13. Speedy2081

Speedy2081 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2009
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    I went to the dealership during the week. A Speciale is sitting there with my name all over it. I am hooked! Planning on driving it Saturday (Tomorrow) but... might not be able to break away. Thanks for all the input so far. Stay tuned (no pun intended)

14. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #64 lamborarijason, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    I had a 360 as well. I can't really recommend one of another due to price difference. I choose to pay $140k more and went with 488 instead of used 458 for a few reasons and this only applies to me. I like 458 and they just made the look even better and turbo. Always been a big fan of 288gto and F40.

I still remember when 488 was first shown in Geneva, I just instantly fell in love with the aggressive look and turbo mid engine Ferrari. I love the 458 as well, drove it many times before even consider buying a few times, it is a beautiful car, sounds amazing, fast as well. But look wise just missing something for me. However, I seriously love the look of black 458s, somehow just by being black made it looks so aggressive.

This section is 458/488 section. Like most cars, once car gets old, the audience change dramatically, many previous lurkers in $150k to $200k range will see 458 as top contender which it is. Virtually impossible to be unbiased, simply because buyers of $100k to $200k car vs $200k to $300k car vs $300k to $400k group can be quite different. I been though the same process in several car communities. I am still trying to crack that $400k to $500k range.

Naturally one is more likely to be biased favorably towards the car the own. I can see 488 owner go to Speciale which I plan to own as well, but 488 to 458 is very small percentage. In a 2 model forum and being NA vs Turbo simply going to have very mixed opinions. Rarely hear one likes California more than California T. Even when BMW first gone turbo on M5/M6 many were harsh critics, now those critics virtually silent as the modern turbos are pretty darn amazing. Had they gone from NA V8 to turbo V6 like E92 to F82, then I would had prefer the former.

Speedy2081 likes this.
  15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Jason,

I pretty much agree in general with your very thought out and articulated post.

I'd just like to point out if I may that BMW doesn't have the umbilical link to naturally aspirated engines that Ferrari does, nor has the naturally aspirated engine played such an important role in the brand's mystique as it did for Ferrari, in my humble opinion. But I understand the point you were making.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. KappaJack

KappaJack Rookie

Jun 28, 2017
    I'm not sure if my two pennies help, but how do you see yourself using the Ferrari 458 or 488? If you are seeking a coupe for performance then it has to be the 488. If you are seeking the convertible experience, then the 458 Spider is my top pick. I absolutely agree that the 488 Spider is a better car in just about every regard, but you will pay a very large premium for improved driving dynamics that will not likely be exploited during weekend, top-down joy rides. Also, the 488 will suffer the greatest depreciation from current values as the 458 had. My 458 Spider is that special weekend convertible after deciding between it and a 488.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Afonsolaw likes this.
  17. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    I think the 488 sounds really good (best of the current class of turbo cars comfortably), but does anybody genuinely feel it sounds *better* than the 458?

18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Everyone could have different feelings, for me the 458 just does not have enough power - when I (extensively) tested one I thought it was screaming in vain, with little results (I had a 599 at the time; no doubt a 458 can be as fast thanks to its weight but its engine is no match).
    On the other hand the turbochargers on the 488 make a huge difference to the power curve, and it does not have to scream to make up for a lack of power.
    And as I mentioned before, turbo or not, a V8 sound cannot compete with a V12, so when one downgrades to V8 (which I did) sound is not that relevant anymore...

19. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    Perceptions certainly differ - I never thought I'd hear anybody say they drove a 458 hard "with little results"!

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Drove my 458 spider a few hours yesterday and man it produced huge results with massive sound.
    I have access to a new 488 spider we built and it’s a fantastic car also.

xfrgtr and Afonsolaw like this.
  21. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I think at the end of the day it all boils down to .... do I want to spend ~ 200k or ~ 350 k.
    Both cars are fantastic. Best , Kirk

Afonsolaw likes this.
  22. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    I agree a Speciale is a good blend ... stable resale and fast enough for he road and fun ... though I love both 458 and 488 if I had it to do over I would get a Speciale ... I might anyway we'll see

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I had a Speciale too and have to say it wasn’t my favorite. Very loose car on city streets and the sound was nowhere near as good as the italia or spider and can’t be solved with exhaust systems. Louder yes, but not the quality.

24. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Have you seen this?

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Yes. And have driven Speciale with upgrades.