Reupholstering a racing seat help needed | FerrariChat

Reupholstering a racing seat help needed

Discussion in '360/430' started by wheelman76, Sep 6, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I am finding myself in a situation where I need to reupholster my drivers seat in my car. Long story short the previous owner had the seat redone during his ownership to make it go from a small fit to a medium I believe. I never liked the quality of leather used for this and after using leatherique to treat my interior the drivers seat has basically melt is the only way I can describe. Black dye wipes off and pills up as I'm wiping and I can see this leather that was used was very subpar. The seat is completely sticky now from whatever coating was put on this leather that the leatherique removed. I think the only way to fix this is replace the seat cover.

My question is this, I am looking at a genuine seat cover from Ferrari but I realize I may have to have a custom job done too bc the resizing of the seat by the previous owner. Also my concern is the cavallino embossing on the head rest. I recall at some point someone said there was a tool that members were passing around as needed for those who needed to do this embossing aftermarket. Can anyone enlighten me on if I am even remembering this correctly and if so how I can get ahold of that should I go the custom route?

2. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Talking to myself here it seems... word back from Cauley Ferrari is no replacement skins direct from Ferrari... you get to buy the whole seat... waiting on what that would cost. Is there anyone out there that can point me in any better direction than what I'm staring down right now?

3. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    You’re not likely to find a new set of seats from Ferrari. They stopped making them many many years ago.

Classic coach has been thrown around as one of the best shops in the country for restoration and supposedly have one of 2 cavallino presses for the embossed headrest cavallino.

The only thing is, when I asked them a year or 2 ago regarding reupholstering my 2 sport seats, it was $15K.

I didn’t even spend $15K for the seats so I decided to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Well that sounds absolutely horrible.... not what i wanted to hear... I will seek them out and see what I can find out though...

5. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Can you point to the correct Classic Coach I want to look into contacting by chance? I see that's a popular name out there!

6. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
  7. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Finally getting some traction here. Classic coach is looking into skins and I found a local shop that can get correct leather and whomever they source it from says they can do the headrest embossing. More details to come. I told the local shop, if they can come through and the price is no where close to what others are telling me to expect I would get anyone else here wanting work on their racing seats in touch with them. We will see.

8. BDM348

BDM348 Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 14, 2020
    Plymouth, Mi
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Just sent you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    These are the guys I contacted when I was considering changing my 458 dash pad over to alcantara. Very good quality work and very reasonable prices:

http://www.coachtrim.net

Also, you can see them in action here:

Ray

10. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    $15,000 to cover 2 seats? That's just criminal.

11. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I was quoted around $1900 to have the covers made and about half that for material from Reoriginals. That is per seat. My local quoted me around $500 to install the cover if I went that way. So I would be looking at $3350 all in by my rough math. Not ideal, but at least it's something I can save up a few months for and look to have done this winter. I am still waiting on my local to come up with a number if they do everything from start to finish as well and Reoriginals was more than gracious in understanding I was preferring that if it's possible. I don't like the thought of shipping a seat across the country, I can just see UPS or Fedex losing it and trying to make a claim on an unreplaceable seat....

12. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have used Hi Class Customs in New Orleans for custom Porsche crest embossing on leather. Ed is the owner there and regularly works on higher end cars.

13. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    That is cool to hear they can do the embossing. I just re-covered my 996 seats.

14. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Is your side bolster just in need of replacement? Wondering if your local upholstery place can cut the offending panel out and replace it, saving the rest of the cover, especially the headrest/Cavallino.

Off topic but I bought a few sets of floor mats from you and they are still as amazing as the day I bought them from you and still in use, almost 10 years later.

15. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Quick update... ended up going with Re-originals and from what I can see they hit it out of the park with my embossing. Still need to get the seats taken in to have things done but so far I like the embossing.

Attached Files:

Aku likes this.
  16. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Finally got my driver seat back, needed to order another hide to do the passenger so the waiting game starts again. If anyone is interested in a black headrest piece with an embossed cavallino I have an extra only bc I am ordering another to go with the new hide. I'll add, Matt at reoriginals is great to work with. If you are looking for factory leather, he has the connection.

Attached Files:

colorfull and 1995F512M like this.
  17. 1995F512M

1995F512M Rookie

Nov 20, 2014
    wow looks great