Revv'ing in neutral | FerrariChat

Revv'ing in neutral

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shrevesport, Sep 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shrevesport

Shrevesport Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Bryan Lusk
    Recently purchased a 2020 812. Really enjoying the car and sounds great when starting the engine and driving at high revs (after the engine is >150F). But it seems like everyone who sees you parked or at a light wants to hear you rev it to redline, while stopped. So my question is, If the car is sufficiently warmed up is it ok, in neutral with the parking brake applied to rev the engine hard or should I turn down the requests? Thanks in advance.

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Instead of rev n it , which should not be a problem, although for some reason, lots of exotics like to catch on fire when revved in 0 , just turn off the nanny control and do a posi burnout though the intersection, that should be sufficient, and the car wont catch fire.

Big G

LARRYH, ScottS and Shrevesport like this.
  3. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Only lambo owners are allowed to rev

Its just a bad look and its probably not a great idea regardless

Apex Ace, audi_328 and JAM1 like this.
  4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Blipping the throttle in neutral is fine if people want to hear the car- Dry-revving it to redline is not only something dumb-ass kids with coffee can exhaust on their parent's Subaru do it is not good for a hyper-refined magical engine like a V12 Ferrari- And it makes you look like an ass.

Cheers :cool:

5. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Really, thats why you bought a Ferrari !
    To impress idiot losers.

Rifledriver and TTR like this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nonsensical, childish behavior.

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is exactly what you should do. I never understood the "revving it at a stop light".

Viperjoe likes this.
  8. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Ridiculous

Viperjoe and MWHC4S like this.
  9. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Depends on where in Shreveport you are revving it.

10. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Growing up as a 10 year old, in fact even at my age of 52, I still lower the windows down to hear and hope that a car I am excited to see or intrigued by will throttle it or rev it. I love to hear the cars. I am guilty many times over asking people to rev their engine as I would like to hear it. I see absolutely no harm in it. Possibly being a petrol head is the reason. So, saying it’s childish at my age of 52 to ask someone to rev it or throttle it is ridiculous. In fact, I sincerely believe that if it’s in your blood, no matter how old or young you are, this is always exciting for me. Rant over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy348, LARRYH, Andynyc and 5 others like this.
  11. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I was always told red-lining in neutral could be catastrophic for an engine as opposed to it being under load while driving. Totally different stresses. Pointless

Viperjoe and EastMemphis like this.
  12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Rev away and be happy there are still fellow enthusiasts who appreciate the symphony of a glorious engine! :)

For all of you who think it's harmful have you ever been to Corse Clienti? The factory techs bring the engines up to temp with a combination of cadence reving and rev/hold. They do this at the start of every single session I've been to.

Its an exotic, high performance vehicle not some dainty, porcelain china doll! :)

Caeruleus11, mestlick and AD211 like this.
  13. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Redlining at a stop is like boasting who has the fastest cellphone- impresses the cognoscenti- but annoying to the average person. Do it for yourself if you enjoy the sound or if you want to give some kids a thrill but I won’t do it to prove anything to myself- that ended a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When asked, I shut the car off and roll the windows up.

Mercedes_Benz and daytonaman like this.
  15. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick

Reving the motor and Redlining i see as two very different things that for some reason have become synonymous in this thread.

I see no point to revving to redline, but a nice double tap to get someones attention (like a quick horn tap) or to make another enthusiast smile with a quick blip to 3-4000 RPMs is harmless and less annoying or douchy

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #16 ginoBBi512, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022

These here are a tough crowd, so anything other than driving your Ferrari like a 90 year old is going to garner ridicule , its that simple lol . If I had an 812, I would have my local tire shop have 10 sets of tires on stand by, because Im going to go through them , and any high revving will be followed by a huge billow of smoke as my tires slip on the asphalt !! lol God I would love to own an 812 !! Do it, just dont post about it, or the powers that be will can your ass !! lol

Vegas CS likes this.
  17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I have no problem redlining my car as long as it’s in motion! I hope to be doing that well into my nineties on 4 wheels and 2!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thanks. I was looking for the words.

Viperjoe, ScottS and RedTaxi like this.
  19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    So, what Ferrari do you have? I thought so.

I usually don't respond to punters asking for me to do anything. But I'll be happy to take them for a ride and have them soil themselves! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Viperjoe and ginoBBi512 like this.
  20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Thats the best Ferrari , that Ferrari has ever built, its that simple. I dont think you want them ****ting their pants in that machine ! lol

Big G

21. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I promise not to soil myself! Not sure where "On the limit" is but I can be there.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I rev mine - but it's by accident. I forget that I'm in neutral and press on the gas... it reves up, kinda embarrassing! I

Sulkathon and Scott Thompson like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It all depends on how much you do it. If you are revving non-stop for an extended length of time, it may be an issue. Short spurts when it's warmed up are no problem.

RedTaxi, Shrevesport and HotShoe like this.
  24. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Frankly I'm surprised there are so many here who are against a few throttle blips at rest. I think too many of you have forgotten what it's like to be a young car enthusiast who simply wants to share your passion by hearing an incredible engine roar.

Calling them "idiot losers"? Really? Is that the type of Tifoso you aspired to be before you bought your car? I've had lots of youngs kids and adults alike ask me to rev the engine and not once did I think of them as anything other than passionate car fans. The smile and cheers it brings to their faces is worth it IMO.

I'm going to put my neck on the chopping block here and say that I believe if you are so uptight that you can't make someone's day by giving them a simple rev perhaps you don't deserve to be representing a car whose entire foundation is built on passion?

Jump to 10:20 ;)

Go to 2:11 for more horror! :)

25. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I used to ignore people but then upon further reflection view it as a duty to respond to all such requests when possible. I just flip it in neutral and give them a blip or two which normally suffices. If they have their phone out filming I'll hammer it a bit harder then drop it back in gear and burn one out.

AD211 and Shrevesport like this.