RH Intake camshaft pollution due to phase sensor | FerrariChat

RH Intake camshaft pollution due to phase sensor

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rupp3r, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

I am quite suprised haven't read anywhere someone with the same problem on a 3.4.

I found some particle pollution sign on the rear end cam bearing of my RH intake cam.

In order to ensure it is not happening again, I cleaned the oil gallery inside all the camshaft but I had troubles cleaning this one since it is not easily openable with a plug at the other end due to the phase sensor..

I had a look inside it and I found this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

We can see here that the cam phase sensor is fitted inside the camshaft and secured by 2 pins running through the cam shaft.

It looks like in a previous installation of the pins, the phase sensor was not perfectly fitted and as a result it made shavings..
    Since I was not able to live with these shavings in my camshaft I removed the pins and the shavings as best as I could..

I am reasonably confident that there is no shaving left after some long time trying to clean it the best as I could.
    By the way if someone does have a good method for ensuring that all the shavings are gone I would be interested :)

I haven't removed the cam phase sensor since I was fearing it would be worst but if someone is messing with it pay attention with this..

Qavion likes this.