Ricciardo in Mercedes 2019? | FerrariChat

Ricciardo in Mercedes 2019?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, Oct 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

We will know when he signs. Ricci is letting Red Bull know he would rather leave and try another team than sit in a Red Bull that is 3rd best as it is now....

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As things sit at the moment Ricciardo has three choices: stay at RBR when it is clear that they are structuring the team around Max; go to Ferrari where old teammate Vettel is #1(though Daniel beat him at RBR); or go to Mercedes and become Hamilton's bridesmaid. Watch the performance of Renault and McLaren next year they will be trending upward. Sainz will be in demand IMO, either recalled to RBR, to Ferrari or ???

Bas likes this.
  3. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I think if Ricciardo goes to Mercedes, Hamilton will have as much trouble as Vettel did with him. Alonso has stated over and over again that other than himself, he considers Ricciardo the best driver on the grid. I hope we get him at Ferrari, but if he goes to Mercedes, I could actually like that team considerably more than I have since Schumacher left. I see him beating Hamilton just like Button did when they were teammates through consistency and being much stronger emotionally. Other than Max I cannot see another driver that would be more of a threat to Hamilton than Ricciardo. The other strength that Ricciardo has is he does not get caught up in the crap around him and just focusing on driving the best he can, thus he truly is the honey badger.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think it largely depends on Leclerc next year. If he is as impressive as he was in F2, he'll be at Ferrari 2019. If they need him to mature for a few seasons (not unlike Ferrari to do this), Ricciardo will be at Ferrari if Kimi retires. The big problem with Ricciardo is that IMO he'll be nipping at Vettel's heels more often, which is good but also not so good: he'll finish ahead of Vettel a few times which will be very costly for the championship. Fine if Ferrari has a world beater, not so fine if they're 2nd best.

daytona355 likes this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think it may be leclerc for 2019, with ricciardo staying at red bull or taking the place of elton at Mercedes. I can't see vettel leaving, where would he go?, not to Mercedes, he has no ties there, but not back to red bull where Maxine will be ruling the roost. Unless mclaren crack it with Renault, or Renault themselves, I don't see it

Ricciardo at Mercedes would mean the end of elton, he won't want a decent driver in the second car, certainly not unless there's a contract, and ricciardo wouldn't sign if there was a clause, he's too genuine and too quick to sell himself short, and elton would be terrified of a real racer off the leash in the same car, he couldn't cope with Nico and with all respect to Nico, I think ricciardo has more racecraft than him and a far superior psyche. No other team on the grid would want to put up with Elton's antics, ferrari, as we know, don't want him, and never will, mclaren wouldn't have him back after their divorce, red bull will terrify him with Maxine there..... who else is there? His ego won't let him go to a smaller team, so it's bye bye baby and off to 'concentrate on my music man'

Bas likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep Vettel won't leave Ferrari till end of contract at least. If Ferrari is not fruitful still by then I can see him replace either Elton at Mercedes or Alonso after his contract at Mclaren. Ricciardo and Leclerc then at Ferrari 2021...A lot can happen of course and I wish for Vettel to win a title with Ferrari at least before that!

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If Daniel is going to Mercedes in 2019, and Max has signed with RBR until 2020, then Daniel would be treated like a second class citizen next year and Max given the royal treatment.

Doesn't make sense to me, then, that Daniel would hang around at RBR for another year.

Thoughts?

8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Good point, but where does he go otherwise?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

Well, either he's NOT going to Mercedes in 2019, or anywhere else, or he's going somewhere NEXT year....Ferrari would be fun. Mercedes would be funny.

The intrigue is killing me! lol

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan would wipe the floor with either Vettel or Hamilton

Nico proved Hamilton CANNOT handle pressure .... Bottas is a floor mat for Hamilton to wipe his feet on, Dan would be laughing all season if all he had to beat was Hamilton in the same car :D

Jenson beat him , Nico beat him and when he didn't have the best car under him EVERYONE beat him :p

He's a glorified chauffeur with the housemaid playing second fiddle at the moment ............. big deal :rolleyes:

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#12 DF1, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Now that is a loaded, Friday, race weekend post LOL :)

Aircon and daytona355 like this.
  12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Another element of the equation for his decision is still missing: which engine will power the Red Bull in 2019? Renault has already terminated the procurement contract for the end of 2018, so in theory it would be the Honda...

13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Exactly, and he'll want a lot more data on its progress, or lack of, before he puts pen to paper I'm guessing. If it is Mercedes, expect a 'I only ever wanted five championships to beat seb' statement from elton within a day or so of the rumours taking place, and retirement to concentrate on his music God knows it's awful, so it does need some concentration !

14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely....... fireworks in 3.......2...........1.............

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Lol

daytona355 likes this.
  16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
  17. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    hey, what are you doing back in this section, I thought you had been a bad boy ?? o_O

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1, especially on him wiping the floor with elton. Vettel he'll have a harder time with but Vettel's issue is his mental fragility, as proven this season, his outbursts last season and pre-2011. He's no Schumacher in that regard.

Vettel's core strength is his dedication. I don't think there's a harder working driver in the paddock, no chance.

daytona355 likes this.