RIP BILL | Page 2 | FerrariChat

RIP BILL

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by johnson, Nov 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sister365

Sister365 Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    Thank you all for the kind words about my dear brother, Bill Rosen. Bill would very much agree with the plans for the car show/memorial in the spring. I know he will be there in spirit.

Jeannie Rosen

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I was tailing Bill in his 365 in this video that is posted on YouTube. It was on a Sunday morning drive in Wisconsin probably 2007. We had a great time that morning. Even the Roosters and a few farmers were ticked that we woke them up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZMp429P3U]Ferrari 512BBI W/Mod Borla Exhaust (Interior) - YouTube[/ame]
    Dave

3. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #28 Valenzo, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I feel terrible. I met Bill at a Chicago get together with Andreas, Johnny and others... Bill came over and introduced himself, we chatted very briefly and then many weeks later, out of the blue, he sent me a PM regarding my '69 restoration project (Thread). I never expected to hear from him again, so his generous PM took me by surprise.. I feel terrible because, I never responded to it. My total loss! God Bless You, Bill. Rest in peace now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Sister365

Sister365 Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    Dave,
    Thank you for posting this video.

Jeannie Rosen (Bill's sister)

5. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    My pleasure Jeannie. Bill was/is a very unique personality. There was nothing you couldn't like about him.

Dave

6. Sister365

Sister365 Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    Yes he was. Our family misses him very much.

7. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    There wasn't anything that we didn't talk about in great detail over the years.

I may be one of few who tells jokes at funerals, but that is just how our conversations were when the diagnosis was known. We were just as we were before. If we were bridge partners, we may have become world champions the way we played off of each other during the conversations. If we lived closer in miles, it may have become a nightly ritual getting together. Great moments to remember with him. Carol thought so much of him too. We talked about him a lot, and I kept her updated with every conversation. Yes he was a special person in the World....and he touched so many....so many that I never met.....

8. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
  9. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #34 norbert, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  10. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
  11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No worries Norbert. We all deal with grief in our own ways.

BTW: I just finished a great read, which might interest you as well "Guitar Zero" by Gary Marcus

As for Bill: I'm looking forward to the life celebration event next year. That's not only a great idea, but it also is just so like him.

12. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #38 norbert, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    (I think it was one of the sax guys with Ellington when he passed. A continuation band had already begun. When asked to join, he said it is all over. [When I left the Purdue band, I was asked by some the first few years at the band reunions not there, at the football field why I wasn't with them. I told them that it was all over for me too.] {There is a gold plated conductor's whistle on a plaque at the Hall of Music at Purdue. It only has that whistle and a piece of the wooden goal post from the '67 Rose Bowl game on it. The whistle has an inscription on it, "To Al Wright with admiration Norb Ertel}. Wright unlike Bill didn't get along with anyone. Yet I felt I had to give him something out of respect for the job he was doing well.} There is nothing for me that will replace or end my feelings for Bill in a peaceful way. I just have to go through it in my own way.)

Hey, just as I have said before concerning me telling jokes at funerals. Here is one of the best I have ever heard or told. In Bill's memory:

I bagpiper in a small Scottish village was asked to play at a grave site service for a local homeless man. The man was to be the first buried at a new cemetery some distance from the village. The bagpiper accepted the the small fee offered by the village, and he was given directions to the grave site for the ceremony the next day at 11 Am. He started out the next day at what he thought was early enough time to arrive at the cemetery by 11 AM. After driving a couple of hours, he became hopelessly lost, and like a man wouldn't stop for directions. He finally came across a newly prepared field about 12 noon. There was a hole in the ground with a back hoe sitting there next to it. There were several workers sitting under a nearby tree eating their lunch.

He stopped, walked up to the newly dug hole to see that the vault lid had already been set. He went to his car and picked up his bagpipes. He walked first to the workers and said, "I will try to not disturb you, but I have to finish this." He walked to the site and began to play his heart out. The workers got up at stood around him. First with Going Home and The Lord is My Shepherd to Flowers of the Forest. The plying was so said, some of the workers began to cry. He closed the lengthy session with Amazing Grace and with little strength left he played Danny Boy. He stood silently for a moment, bowed and started to walk to his car.

As he walked away, he heard one of the workers say, "Mary mother of God, I never saw anything like that before, and I have been installing septic tanks for over 40 years."

We all go forward in our own way, for me it is when both Bill and I were happy together, in person, on the phone, or in best thoughts we both had for each other.....

13. johnson

johnson Rookie

Mar 19, 2005
    ChicagoSouth of I 80
    Full Name:
    Chris LaPorte
    #39 johnson, Apr 11, 2014
  14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Excellent!

Please keep us posted also about the planned event in Bill's honor.

15. johnson

johnson Rookie

Mar 19, 2005
    ChicagoSouth of I 80
    Full Name:
    Chris LaPorte
    #41 johnson, Apr 11, 2014
  16. johnson

johnson Rookie

Mar 19, 2005
    ChicagoSouth of I 80