Rock chip repair | FerrariChat

Rock chip repair

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tunlhd1, Oct 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tunlhd1

tunlhd1 Karting

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago IL area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have been looking at used 458's but a couple I looked at had rock chips on the hood. What is the best way to repair these?

If I have the hood repainted will it diminish the resale value?

Of course I would put a clear bra on the front clip after the rock chips are repaired

2. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Dr colorchip. Have had great color matching on both my diablo and my 360

3. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    There are a lot of clear bras out there, but some of them like the cars so much that they take the paint with them when removed. Do some serious homework before choosing someone to do the work. Or do what I do; I have an artist go over my cars every year of two. I have never had a 1/4" ding, but that would go through a clear bra anyway.

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It depends on the size of the chip. Langka, Dr Color Chip and DIY is what I recommend for small, medium and larger chips, respectively. For DIY you purchase the base coat and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com. I did a comprehensive writeup on the DIY but forgot where I put it. I had an appointment to have my front bumper resprayed, so for a couple of weeks beforehand, I practiced and practiced and practiced. I sanded and sanded the clear coat until I cut all the way through so I could get a feel for how much to sand. I know that clear coats are varying depths, but still this is a good idea (as opposed to using the hood of your $300,000.00 car for your first try).

5. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would just have the hood repainted. It will not show up on Carfax and as long as you are changing colors, it should be un-noticeable, especially if you have a good body shop do the work. I had rock chips on my hood and after trying to carefully fix, I ended up just having a body shop repaint the hood. It looks brand new.

6. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Bras are for women.They make women look better but not all women..They make cars look worse.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If it's non-metallic paint, then chips are quite easy to repair with Langka. You overfill the chip with paint, let it partially dry, and then level it to the surface with Langka. Once you get the feel for it and if you use factory paint from the dealer, you will not be able to tell where the chips were repaired.

For metallic, it isn't as easy to get a seamless match, but for non-metallic it works GREAT.

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    OK, what is Langka?

Ago

9. John Ciab

John Ciab Rookie

Oct 8, 2014
    Wyomissing Pa
    Full Name:
    John
    Any photos of the DIY stone chip repairs?

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #10 peterp, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    The photo would look like a red hood :) -- you literally cannot see where the repair has been made as long as the paint is exact. The way Langka works is you overfill the chip with paint, then let it partially dry for 30ish minutes, then use Langka to level out the paint bubble with the body surface so that it is perfectly smooth.

It is easy to do a perfect job on solid colors as long as the paint is an exact match. It's more difficult to do a great job on metallic because (at least the paint I was using) didn't look good without clear coat, and it is tricky to level out clear coat because the paint layer below it is already leveled out from the first pass of paint with Langka. For solid colors, you don't really need to do clear coat and I can't see a color difference without clear.

11. John Ciab

John Ciab Rookie

Oct 8, 2014
    Wyomissing Pa
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks,
    I think I'll try it first on my 2001 M3, before I attempt it on the Maranello.