Rodents | FerrariChat

Rodents

Discussion in '360/430' started by delaney, Mar 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    One of the dogs was sniffing around my 360 last night & getting very excited. We noticed a rat outside the house. So this morning I pulled off the bottom panel and found not a great deal of damage but some of the silver foil looked as if it had been chewed.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to keep these rodents out of my car/garage Other than putting rat poison everywhere? I even thought about putting a bunch of mothballs somehow embedded in the undercarriage… The plastic pan that covers everything. Maybe a crazy idea. Suggestions welcome!

2. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    Buy some packets of "Final". Get them on ebay as they stopped selling it at Home Depot. Place packets away from pets and kids. These babies killed about 5 rats in 2 days. SImple, cheap and quick. The packets are sweet, so the rats and mice are attracted. They're dead within a day.

3. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    this is what I'm using to keep mice out, I'm next to a large wooded area, so I probably can't guarantee to keep them out with the current state of my garage. It's an animal pen I got off of Amazon, so far so good. easy to put up or take it down for when you use the car.

my kids thought at first I got it to keep them away, they were like 'really?!??! you don't trust us?', till I told them it was for field mice....;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AandSC, energy88 and Eric C like this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The secret to keeping rodents out of any building is to find out where they are getting in and blocking their access. With rats, it's really the only solution as those varmints are incredibly smart. I battled those buggers for years in Florida and finally beat them by closing off their access holes. Every point of access was a construction defect.

5. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Agreed. I used mouse traps for years, kept seeing the food being eaten consistently. My wife went around garage sticking steel wool in any little gap she saw. It’s been 4 years, no more mice, no more mousetrap food being eaten

6. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    you absolutely need to fill all holes and points of entry, but i wanted them DEAD so i used FINAL and it worked great. I put some tape mats for rodents near holes to discern where they were coming in. They worked well, and they got stuck to the mat so it was easy to "extinguish" them and fill the hole.

7. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Thanks for all the responses, I’ll certainly check for holes. I’ve been researching the ultrasonic approach, so maybe filling the holes and ultrasonics may do the trick. We also live in Florida, & got fruit trees everywhere… Rat heaven!

Anyone try the ultrasonic path?

8. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    i am in Florida as well. i live on over an acre. ultrasonic did not work at all. don't waste your money. i tried it....

Rifledriver and EastMemphis like this.
  9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Best solution IMO: Bait stations outside the building, installed by a professional pest company and serviced quarterly. Rats take the bait, run away with it, eat it and die.

Been rat-free for years. Reasonable annual cost for complete peace of mind keeping rats out of the industrial-style barn building (car shop, machine shop, etc.) as well as the garage.

Same method used world-wide around buildings and restaurants. Proven effective for decades.

[I live on 5 acres in the country and we'd be overrun with rats and mice if we didn't do this]

Jedi

10. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    careful on the stuff they eat and kills em!!! i use to use it as well, problem is they eat it and sometimes die in your walls or someplace that is difficult to find them.. and the smell is HORRIBLE!! have had to pull drywall out to find them in my buisness. That being said i only use the sticky traps now, lil peanut butter in middle, slide against a wall and it does the trick!

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In four years of having stations around my 1700 square foot "barn shop" we have had exactly ONE rat die inside, and one small chipmunk/squirrel. And yes they stunk. But it's a helluva lot better than having them nesting there. We've also only found maybe 4 or 5 dead rodents outside the barn - no biggie to dispose. And again, still a helluva lot better than having them nesting inside the building.

Everything has tradeoffs.

Jedi

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk

This might help if it is one of the big ones

FerrfanFL likes this.
  13. digitaladam

digitaladam Rookie

May 27, 2021
    Oakville, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adam S
    A reputable mechanic I go to also suggested chili flakes to keep them away - may help in addition to the above.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know it doesn't work on gophers. It actually seems to attract them.

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I had mice in my garages. They didn't get to my cars but did eat all my powdered soup.

Ultrasonic didn't work (although it drove away my children). Organic mint spray didn't work. That's when I gave up the humane options and called in the pros, and professionally laid pest control bait traps did work. The pest people also said to plug up the holes in access for a long term solution.
    So far so good.

16. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Thanks again for all the replies. Some research/searches etc. strongly indicate that Ultrasonic bits don’t work. Official studies showed they may work a little, but after a few days the rats normalize to the sound.

Of all the methods, it seems peppermint oil (100%) diluted about 10:1 gets most votes. Simply spray over engine bits that keep relatively cool ~ every couple of months. I may drop a cupful down to the plastic base….may even glue a bit of cloth down there to absorb it…and around the cars…

…but another piece of good advice…fill the damn holes!

Thanks everyone!

17. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Caught 4 mice the first week with this thing, it's awesome, has kept my shop rodent free since I got it. No mess, no touch clean up.

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Subscribe to Shawn Woods YouTube channel. There are some very inventive ways of catching rats/mice there.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ShawnWoodsprimitive-archer

Everything from a slippery bowl of peanut oil to some fancy electronic traps.

This seems to be very effective with a bucket of water:

20. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I use Grandpa Gus(see package next to 2NA's suggestion). Not a bad smell and appears to work. My back-up is good old Victor snap traps. Very effective. Never had rats, battle mice.

21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if the dog pen doesnt extend around the back of the car then its useless for mice. so yeah, really, your kids were right. :p

23. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Car jacket. Best money I’ve spent to keep rodents out. It can be a little bit if a hassle if you use the car often, but for occasional use it guarantees they stay out.

Attached Files:

24. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    #24 colorfull, Mar 11, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Not visible in the pic, but it goes around the whole car

Also, I can not keep my garage door closed 100% of the time so they can potentially walk in when the door is open, which is I expect how they got in in the first place.

Plus, I have no interest in battling, killing and disposing of mice, just protecting the car

25. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    My DIL's new Honda Accord's wiring was destroyed a few months ago by mice, the cost was around $6K for the main harness and other wires. The issue is that car makers switched from petroleum-based wire insulation to soy-based wires which I guess attracts the little buggers for a tasty meal.